I'm so sneaky!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so sneaky!

I started a bargello quilt for my hubby back in September at the Fall Forum Retreat. Thanks to Carol (Snippet) I was able to make great progress at the retreat. I got the top done except for the last 11 rows.

Hubby works nights every other month so I figured I would finish it when he's working. He would go into work at 8pm and my plan was to work on it for an hour or so each night he worked. I would have plenty of time to get it done! Well, I somehow forgot I'm not a night owl. I ended up in bed shortly after he left for work most nights. Anyway somehow I managed to get the top done during his nights in November, but I still had to get it sandwiched, quilted and bound and I didn't have the backing fabric!

We live a little less than two hours from M* so I made plans with my sister to go on Black Friday. That was the only day I could find that I could go that he wouldn't figure out where I was going! But by now he's back on days. I do have every Thursday off so on Thursdays I worked on sandwiching and quilting it. I was getting sooooo close to being done with the quilting, but then he decides to take vacation! So I have about 20 rows of quilting left and no days at home with out him.

One of my daughter's came to the rescue! She took him out all day yesterday on all sorts of Christmas errands. I got the quilting finished and trimmed. Now all I had to do was the binding. So I got up at 5 am this morning and the binding is on! All I have to do is sew the binding to the back by hand. One of my other daughter's loves to hand sew, so she'll help with the binding.

I forgot to mention, my sewing area is in our master bedroom, so I was sewing the binding on while he snoozed away! I was worried I would get caught, but he's a heavy sleeper so I made it!

I'm so excited I've managed to pull off this surprise! He saw a picture of this quilt months ago and loved it. He said "That's the kind of quilt I want! I can't wait for him to open it on Christmas Day. I'll post pictures afterwards.
    Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Re: I'm so sneaky!

Well done, be sure to post a picture, I know it was looking great at the retreat!
    It is so fun when you can actually surprise someone with a special gift.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

Lori, what a labor of love. Your hubby will treasure it. Hope you can somehow convey the story of the time it took to sew and finish it on the label. Congratulations on pulling this surprise off. Merry Christmas.
      A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

We've all been pulling for you and a giant big finish. Anxiously awaiting pictures!!
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Way to go, Lori! Your DH will be so surprised. Isn't it great when you pull off a sneaky plan and it all comes together just in time!

Can't wait to see the pictures.
          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Originally posted by cv quilter View Post
            Lori, what a labor of love. Your hubby will treasure it. Hope you can somehow convey the story of the time it took to sew and finish it on the label. Congratulations on pulling this surprise off. Merry Christmas.
            Dang! I forgot about the label!!! Thanks for reminding before I got the binding finished. Now to think of something cool to put on it. Any ideas?
            Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

Can't wait to see it.
              https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
              Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

You really are sneaky. Where in the world do you store a quilt in your master bedroom when you're not working on it? It is really cool that he takes an interest in your work enough to exclaime that that's the kind of quilt he would like. WOW. My DH is so frustrated right now trying to decide on what quilt machine to purchase. I am going to take him off the hook today and tell him I will go pick one out. He yells at me every night that he doesn't know what to do. Me either. So I found a Juki/jenome dealer about 1 1/2 hours away and I will go there tomorrow. Hopefully they will have something in stock.
                Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                Terry

Comment

Lori, I don't know how much you want to put on it, but maybe something about it being a surprise quilt done in secret from when you started to when you finished and a little love note from you

Comment

Terry, how fun to be picking out a new machine. What a wonderful Christmas present! With the beautiful quilts you make it will be well used.

Comment

I love your story! Would love to see his reaction!

Comment

How about "Love is blind" ... you did make it right under his nose. Ha!

Comment

You did it! You did it! You are amazing, I loved your story. And I can't understand how the heck you can sew in your bedroom without dh catching on!! If I didn't have a sewing room all to myself I would go nuts. Loved that your daughter was in on the scheme and got him out of the house for you for awhile. He will be blown away when he opens that quilt.

Comment

Oh I can't wait til he gets it! I remember you starting this at the retreat. It looked good then. I'm so glad you are nearly finished and he'll be getting it Christmas. It will be a great gift for a loving wife.

Comment

Can't wait to see pics of the finished quilt. What a labor of love it is.
                              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X