Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disapearing 9 Patch - cutting question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disapearing 9 Patch - cutting question...

Hello Ladies!

I'm attempting a D9P for my little niece for Christmas. I have all my 9 blocks sewn together, now I'm ready to cut them and for some reason I'm nervous.

They are not perfectly square - measuring anywhere from 13" to 13 and whatever that mark is that's just a bit over the 1/2 mark.

My question is - should I square them all up now, or wait until after I cut them into 4s? Also, I don't have a 15" square ruler, the largest I have is 12". I feel like cutting them all down to 12" is taking off a lot of fabric unnecessarily but without a bigger square I don't really know how to cut them down to 13".

Am I over thinking it? Should I just square them up to 12" and then get cutting? I was kind of on a quilting roll, finishing my Mom's quilt in Oct, and a quilt for my niece and sister in Nov and now I've grinded to a halt - filled with insecurities!

Help! Thanks.

Bleh - ok, I could have sworn I was in the "quilting questions" section when I started this thread... Sorry.
    Last edited by VickiJ; December 14, 2016, 09:00 AM.
    Vicki
    Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program? :icon_beuj:

Re: Disapearing 9 Patch - cutting question...

I would definitely square them all up BEFORE cutting.
    You can use your smaller ruler to square them up; just move the ruler along keeping the lines straight.
    There are lots of YouTube vids to help you square up with a smaller ruler.

AFTER you cut, measure the blocks to make sure they are all the same size as well.

Good luck.

Don't overthink this; it is an easy and FUN quilt to make! :-)

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
    The Farmmyfarm

Comment

This is a time I would use the markings on my cutting mat. Make sure your blocks are well pressed, first. Then line up a block on the mat to measure its size. For those blocks that have to be cut down, remember to take off a bit from each side. So, if you have a block that is 13.5" wide, you take 1/4" off of each side instead of taking 1/2" off of just one side.
      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I'm with Sylvia on this.

If I have a large piece of fabric (wider than 48") I will fold it until it fits under my 5x24" ruler. You must cut carefully (slowly and with constant pressure on the ruler) to keep the waves to a minimum.
        After squaring up your big blocks, you could carefully fold them in half and cut. Then stack those two on top of each other and make the second slice to end up with your four pieces.
        Be who you are and say what you feel
        because those who mind don't matter,
        and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

This might not be right but this is what I do:

I sew my 9 patch together, give it a good starch, press, and cut. Then I cut the squares, press again, and square up.

Most of the patterns I use for the DP9 quilts don't have any matching seams except the corners.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your quilt when it's complete.
          Robin
          My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

I would wait and square them up after you cut and sew them back together. This pattern is soo forgiving, since you don't have to match the seams.

Comment

Absolutely square those blocks all up to the same size prior to cutting into fourths. I never use the cutting mat to measure/square blocks. Always use my rulers for accuracy. Whatever the dimension of your finished block is, just cut it in equal sections. The 4 sections should measure the same, but you can square up again if needed. Try several different placements to see which you like best.

Comment

I squared my sewn 9 patches up before cutting, because I used some scraps and a charm pack, none of which were exactly 5" square.
                To do this, you must center the middle block under the ruler, then trim two sides, turn, center again, then trim the other 2.
                You could probably get away without a 15" ruler, but it's way easier

Quilt_D9P_Alayasia_Trim.jpg

Quilt_D9P_Alayasia_Trim02.jpg

Ready to cut
                Quilt_D9P_Alayasia_Trim03.jpg

Quilt_D9P_Alayasia_Trim04.jpg

Quilt_D9P_Alayasia_Turn.jpg
                Last edited by PrettyCurious; December 15, 2016, 02:00 AM.
                Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
                  This is a time I would use the markings on my cutting mat. Make sure your blocks are well pressed, first. Then line up a block on the mat to measure its size. For those blocks that have to be cut down, remember to take off a bit from each side. So, if you have a block that is 13.5" wide, you take 1/4" off of each side instead of taking 1/2" off of just one side.
                  This is how I always square things up...when I square them up...LOL Yeah I walk to the beat of a different drum for sure.
                  sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                  Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                  Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                  X