Making something you saw on Etsy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making something you saw on Etsy

I'm not sure of the etiquette of this so thought I would ask you folks. If you see something for sale on Etsy (an item, not a pattern for one) and you decide to make it yourself, is that ok? I recently did this and made something I saw for sale on Etsy for gifts only. I would never turn around and sell an item like this.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Re: Making something you saw on Etsy

To me, it isn't any different than seeing something in any other store and making something like it.
    sigpic

Comment

I agree with Laura.
      ***Kathy***

Comment

I think its perfectly ethical. There are very few original ideas and you would probably change up the fabric anyway. Consider it yours.
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

I agree also. I have many times looked in brick and mortar stores, online at etsy and ebay and just general searching and have made something very similar to what I have seen.
          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
          Sigmund Freud

Comment

OK, that makes me feel better. I think I was worried because it wasn't just an idea I saw on Pinterest but something someone is selling.
            I am Sew Blessed!
            Alina

Comment

The only time something like this bothers me a little is when it come to Fairs. An example is last year I did some cute zipper pouches using the state football team that everyone loves although I also had various other themes. There are three other quilters who display at the fair. This year one of them had the same kinds of zipper pouches, which she didn't last year. It didn't and doesn't bother me that she is now displaying them but it did bother me that she was selling them for $3.50 each. I figure it takes me a hour to do one from start to finish. So at $3.50 an hour? Then you deduct for zipper, lining, material and either stabilizer and/or batting. What does that leave you??? I had been selling mine at $10 each. At any rate I marked them down to $7 for the day as a sale and still did well. Anyway I thought that was bordering on nasty. On the up side, I doubt she will be able to do that time of thing for very long.
              https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
              Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Yes it is ok unless it is an original design, the seller probably saw something similar and made it her own style

Comment

Carlie, for a seller to copy another seller, I can certainly see how that would be annoying - to say the least. And know as a customer, I find it annoying too, when I walk thru a craft fair and see the same exact thing over and over and over again (same pattern, theme, and colors). Hopefully that other seller at least used a different fabric theme and colors?

Comment

Originally posted by cjsews View Post
                    Yes it is ok unless it is an original design, the seller probably saw something similar and made it her own style
                    How would you know though if it is an original design?
                    I am Sew Blessed!
                    Alina

Comment

Originally posted by amartin24 View Post
                      How would you know though if it is an original design?
                      People almost always have a little brag when they create something new.

Comment

Is any different than showing a picture of a dress to a seamstress and asking her to make you a dress like it?
                        Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
                          The only time something like this bothers me a little is when it come to Fairs. An example is last year I did some cute zipper pouches using the state football team that everyone loves although I also had various other themes. There are three other quilters who display at the fair. This year one of them had the same kinds of zipper pouches, which she didn't last year. It didn't and doesn't bother me that she is now displaying them but it did bother me that she was selling them for $3.50 each. I figure it takes me a hour to do one from start to finish. So at $3.50 an hour? Then you deduct for zipper, lining, material and either stabilizer and/or batting. What does that leave you??? I had been selling mine at $10 each. At any rate I marked them down to $7 for the day as a sale and still did well. Anyway I thought that was bordering on nasty. On the up side, I doubt she will be able to do that time of thing for very long.
                          Unless she's doing it just for something to do. Might be having a good time socializing with people at fair.
                          I'd sell potholders cheaply as it's something to fill up time and use up scraps.

Comment

Speaking of which - I have a rant about Pinterest. People used to pin patterns and never tell you whose they were or where to buy them.

I found a wristlet I wanted, do a search and all that turned up is more darn pins. I finally banned Pinterest and Youtube from the search, found the pattern and bought it.

I can copy almost anything, but I prefer to buy a pattern for the instructions and sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
                              Carlie, for a seller to copy another seller, I can certainly see how that would be annoying - to say the least. And know as a customer, I find it annoying too, when I walk thru a craft fair and see the same exact thing over and over and over again (same pattern, theme, and colors). Hopefully that other seller at least used a different fabric theme and colors?
                              Nope didn't use different fabrics etc. She only couldn't copy where I had embroidered a panel in there too. My main beef is the extreme undercutting of price to the point that there is virtually no profit.

There are so many ways a quilter can vary a pattern it is only limited by imagination. For many of us, what we see out in stores or on line serves as a springboard for our own imaginations. I also don't see making an item exactly as you've seen on line wrong if you are using it just for yourself and in your own home particularly if you can do it for a small fraction of the retail cost. As some have said here chances are, you still would be making some types of variations just based on the fact that each person (and their imaginations/creativity) vary. What I can't see is if the you copy the original and then go to the original persons sales venue and undercut your price. Ohhhhh, that seems spiteful to me LOL

That's obviously what Alina is worried that she might cause hard feeling, which I don't think is the case. I think it's really sweet that she is even thinking ahead that way. On the other side of the coin, I personally find it annoying and way out there that some designers seem to globalize their designer "rights" in an effort to corner a whole market. Do they really think their creativity is so limited? It's been my experience that creativity is not stagnant but continues in growth and as times change :-)
                              Last edited by Carlie Wolf; December 8, 2016, 09:18 AM.
                              https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                              Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X