Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating your own digital applique pattern

Hi there,
    I have spent a lot of time trying to find information on the web about creating my own patterns. I have made a few quilts using applique and some of my quilting friends are saying i should publish my own patterns. i would love to do this but I am not sure how to go about converting my drawn applique shapes into a digital pattern that you would normally buy. Can you help - is there a software program I could use to do this? Thank you

Re: Creating your own digital applique pattern

There are lot's of programs that can do that. I have one but don't have the patience to learn it. I can think of one member who can give advice,,, Sandy Navas. I hope she comes along.

Welcome to the forum!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Babylock has Quiltworks which will take a drawn picture and convert it. I have that and have used it for designing cutwork.
      You don't need a Babylock machine, either. It saves it most machine formats. I have a Pfaff.

The auto programs will trace the outline, you cut the excess fabric off, and then the machine will re tack outline down and satin or any other stitch of your choice to finish the design. There are stops between each stage.

I think there's a couple of others, too. Someone else may know. I don't know if the smaller new digitizing programs will do this or not.

Just make sure the software will use a pattern with a .jpg extension and will trace.

Otherwise you will need a program that will save to AI (Adobe Illustrator) or SVG (Inkscape is one of those and free. There are others) These are vector images which means that they are designed by (x,y) coordinates rather than pixels. Any digitizing program will use coordinates. Tells the needle where to go on the fabric.

EQ might also do something.

*I have nothing against other programs. I use the Babylock software as it most resembles Adobe Illustrator and is easier for me. I just stopped there since it works. Other programs that do the same are just as good.
      Last edited by Alpha O; December 7, 2016, 09:28 AM.

Comment

If you have a line drawing of the shapes for the applique you should be able to take it to a print shop that can scan it and turn it into a jpg or a pdf file.

Comment

Originally posted by quiltingaway View Post
          If you have a line drawing of the shapes for the applique you should be able to take it to a print shop that can scan it and turn it into a jpg or a pdf file.
          Or you can scan it on a home printer/scanner.
          Patrice S

Comment

Programs like PaintShop and PhotoShop should be able to use your scanned images and convert them to a nice graphic with lines suitable for a quilter to use in applique. I made real simple square and triangle shapes using Google Drawings when I made my pattern for the Squares Table Runner. If you want to look at the pattern, a pdf is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B92...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
            X