Singer Featherweight -seeking info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Singer Featherweight -seeking info

I've long thought maybe one day I'd look into gettng a Featherweight but really never have looked at them. Curiosity, touching history, loving vintage mechanical ...lots of reasons have kept it in the back of my mind for "someday".

Can anyone point me to a good blog or somewhere with good info about them?

I just saw a neighborhood ad for a 1922 model. What model would that actually be? Used by three generations; I love that history! She says its in good condition and has all the pieces. No price, so I'm guessing she hopes to hit the jackpot based on her ad description. I love that it's not restored and in a shop. Maybe I can't afford it, or maybe she'd love that it would continue to be valued and loved.

The ad is legitimate, I've been buying things from neighbors through this site and it's always been wonderful. But I really don't even know what to ask her without a smidge of knowledge under my belt. I'm knowledgeable enough to check it out mechanically, but clueless about models and what one would want in a Featherweight.

Edit: wait, they didn't make them until the 30s, right? I guess I'll have to ask her what it actually is or if she's just got the date wrong.
    Last edited by stitchwishes; December 5, 2016, 01:49 AM.

Re: Singer Featherweight -seeking info

Here is a link to an excellent site with information on the Featherweights. It also tells about other Singer models. They have an excellent database of serial numbers from way back to help you know the age and model of your machines based on that number.

http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/featherweight/fhome/

Comment

http://april1930s.com/

Comment

Here is another site:
        https://singer-featherweight.com/pages/about-us
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I love Featherweight machines and keep one set up on our kitchen table all the time. I also recommend the links already posted. If you take the plunge and buy one, I highly recommend the book, Featherweight 221, The Perfect Portable by Nancy Johnson-Srebro. The book is considered the bible for Featherweight lovers/owners.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

The seller probably has an idea of what she wants for it. You could just ask her, telling her you are interested. If she knows it will be going to a good home, not being bought for resale, she may give you a very good price.
            Of course you are smart doing your research. Some people really over-value their own things.

Comment

Originally posted by Snip Snip View Post
              The seller probably has an idea of what she wants for it. You could just ask her, telling her you are interested. If she knows it will be going to a good home, not being bought for resale, she may give you a very good price.
              Of course you are smart doing your research. Some people really over-value their own things.
              I sent her a message, waiting for a reply. I was quite honest, I feel that's best, that I just want one for sewing.

I knew everyone here would be a treasure trove of information! I've been reading a lot of that and then some, and feel quite knowledgeable already. First thing I've asked for is the serial number off the bottom so I can find out what this is.

Comment

Posting this dealers scale/ condition guideline for anyone wandering past this thread. I've found it helpful in figuring out how to start figuring out what to offer.
                http://singer-featherweight.class221...-rating-scale/

She's messaged me back and wants me to come try the Featherweight. She was a quilter and used this for piecing! How neat is that! At this point it sounds like a good match, we'll have to see. But I wasn't looking for one, this caught me by surprise so I am not ready. Plus because of my health I can't go check it out this week, maybe next week. But I'm pretty excited!

Comment

Originally posted by stitchwishes View Post
                  . . . . I just saw a neighborhood ad for a 1922 model.

Edit: wait, they didn't make them until the 30s, right? I guess I'll have to ask her what it actually is or if she's just got the date wrong.
                  Did she correct the date?
                  Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Interesting-I have a interest in a Featherweight also. I think they are so quit and a couple of people I saw at my LQS just love theirs. I have a friend that is in the antique business and attends a lot of estate sales and garage sales so she said she would watch for one for me. My friends say they are really easy to repair on your own also.

Comment

Get the serial number and go to the Singer website. It will tell you the year it was made.

Comment

A few months ago I bought a nice little Featherweight for $75. There was no case and it needed a good cleaning but it works great. I keep it on the kitchen table most of the time. I have other Featherweights but I couldn't leave it in the old motor oil box at the flea market.....right?

If you can find the year it was made using the serial number and you are satisfied, make the seller an offer. The worst that can happen is she will say No and you might have a chance to make a counter offer.
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by Claudiaj View Post
                          Interesting-I have a interest in a Featherweight also. I think they are so quit and a couple of people I saw at my LQS just love theirs. I have a friend that is in the antique business and attends a lot of estate sales and garage sales so she said she would watch for one for me. My friends say they are really easy to repair on your own also.
                          I love fixing and maintaining my own machine, that's great to know. That's all I knew about them before a few days ago, just that quilters love them. I though I'd look for one someday, not today! I hope you get one, they really do seem lovely!

I'm excited to go check it out, I don't know anything yet except I'm now sure it's actually a featherweight because she said she also has the table. Table? I was so tickled when I googled that, I'd no idea! I want to use it a lot, so a table made for it would be so fantastic and I could just leave it out and ready to use every day. I'm praying this is as serendipitous as it seems, I'd love a machine with history and love instead of a flea market find.

That reminds me of how the accumulation of quilting supplies never ends, however much you try and halt it. If I buy this machine, I'll also buy the table, and thus ...I'll need to hunt for a chair to sit on because I don't have one that'd suit it. At least I have a place for the table.

Comment

I'm getting my Featherweight at the end of the week! It's ending up being sight unseen, she says it works and what she decided was having me donate to the rose garden she built for our city. So it's even more wonderful!

I'm thinking of placing it next to the window in my sewing room so I can look out over the water and sew. But I'm not sure about the sunlight there, and the room is still full of odds and ends from the other room after our construction last year. I'll take pics once I get it set up!

On top of that, she asked if I have enough fabric. I almost hooted and hollered ino the phone! But I contained myself I tried to refuse it.... Me, the fabric minimalist! Well, she did say they're 2.5" squares, so that's okay, right?

Comment

This does not answer your question but I thought it was sort of funny-I too have been shopping for a Featherweight and I happened to look at ebay the other night since a couple of ladies here said they purchased one from there. I ran across one that the owner went into great detail about the cleaning and repair of it-and it did look really good-the price was $29.00-I wasn't sure if it was a scam to get my info or what so of coarse I passed it up-looked the next day and it was either gone or a more realistic price of $299.00 was on it. I failed to check out the seller-my error-but should I be sad-I'm not sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X