proper etiquette for labels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

proper etiquette for labels

When putting a label on a quilt that you made the top, prepared the backing and did the binding but you had someone else do the quilting should you also include their name on your label?
    Have a blessed day
    Pam[/I]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Re: proper etiquette for labels

If this quilt is being gifted, then I say no. Otherwise you would also need to include the name of the pattern designer, and fabric designer, after all didn't they contribute too?

If it's a show quilt, then credit should also be given to the person who quilted it.

Interested to knowing other's opinions as well.

Comment

Thank you.

It makes sense what you said about the pattern, material, etc. I never really looked at it that way before.
      Have a blessed day
      Pam[/I]
      [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

This is my opinion, if the quilting is done by a computer driven machine, or is edge to edge quilted in a single motif I would not include them on the label. If the quilt is custom quilted then in my opinion the quilter has contributed equally to the quilt and should receive credit and recognition.
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Is the quilt a gift to someone? Did you pay for the quilting? I am not certain about giving credit for quilting if it is something you paid for. But I do understand why the recognitiion is given in competitions.
          If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Here's my 2 cents worth:

Each situation should be evaluated. I have quilted for friends and they know I'm a beginner. If it's a gift I don't need my name on it since the recipient does not know me and probably would not understand why a stranger would be giving them a gift.

But, if they enter it in a competition or are selling it, I would want my name on it. Especially if I'm trying to build my reputation as a quilter.

Now, here is another situation. I have a quilt top that my grandmother made and intended it for my brother. When I quilt it, I will put down that she made the top and guess at the year. I know it was early 1970's. I will put down that I quilted it. So when it's a quilt that the recipient knows the quilter and the piecer, you should put both down. Especially if the quilter did not get paid for their part.
            Vonnie

Comment

If I have a quilt done on a LAer, my label usually reads: Pieced by (my name), Quilted by (name of LA quilter), & the year. I usually add the name of the pattern, & sometimes the fabric line. Just depends on the quilt & to whom it's being gifted. When I gifted the Herringbone quilt to my grandson & his wife, I made a more lengthy label that included their names as well as Grandma in front of my name.

Comment

Working...
              X