Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you suggest?

Hi everyone,

Well the other day my neighbors daughters had a garage sale and they had lots of scraps of all different sizes that their mom had from her quilting days so I purchased the lot of every piece of fabric large and small to use to make the quilts for the Vets.

Well needless to say the fabric smells from being stored so long and in the garage. So I would like to launder them before using but I'm concerned that some of the scraps will ravel a lot.

And ideas on how to launder them with minimum raveling?

Thank you for your ideas and help
    Last edited by [email protected]; December 3, 2016, 07:41 AM.
    Have a blessed day
    Pam[/I]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Re: What would you suggest?

If they are not visibly soiled, I think I would try to just air them out, or maybe tumble for a while with a fabric softener sheet, then wait till they are pieced and quilted before actually laundering.
    If they are just too smelly to deal with, you might try putting everything in pillow cases to wash and dry. Gently.

Comment

I was every completed quilt, after it's done.
      All fabric will unravel, and depending on the size, it could be way too much work to iron them to make them usable after washing, so I never wash precuts or scraps.
      Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Thank you I shall try putting them in the dryer with the softener sheet and see if that helps. If not then on to step of your ideas.
        Have a blessed day
        Pam[/I]
        [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Spread them out on a sheet in the sun. Mother Nature works wonders on odors like that.

Comment

Can you use those small bags they make to wash your delicate stuff in? Use on gentle cycle.

Comment

I know what works with a smelly quilt top that needs to be quilted before washing......Close into a trash bag with an opened bar of Irish Spring soap. It will even remove most cigarette smoke smell. Leave for a week or two, if you can wait that long. I would NOT recommend washing.....you will end up with a tangled mess of ravels and thread nests. My mom had some too long stored fabrics, but I just wash after finishing.

Comment

I have something called "Thieves Spray" from Young Living. Its works wonders with smells and is natural and non toxic. I used it when I didn't get one of the raw bones for my dogs out of the back of my corvette. The whole car smelled like something died in it. I sprayed a cotton ball and put it in a little plastic container in the back. Then sprayed the interior a couple times. The smell was all gone. It also worked when my husband drilled a hole in my gas tank in the same car Long story and he doesn't think "Drill, Baby, Drill" jokes are very funny.
                Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight, Rocketeer

Comment

For small pieces I come across that need laundering, I put water and a few drops of detergent in a tupperware type container. I then lay the pieces in, cover them and shake gently, let soak a few minutes and shake a little more. Pour out the water and run clear water over until you feel the detergent is gone. They can then be rolled in a clean, dry towel to remove excess water. I usually air dry them, but they could maybe be put in the dryer if you have a lot of them.

Good Luck with whatever method you choose! It will take a little time, but will be well worth it.
                  Donna

Comment

My simple rule - quilt first, wash later.
                    Exception - Flannel for backing
                    Preeti
                    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you everyone.

I put several of the same colors in a pillowcase along with a color catcher and tied off the case, put in two cases of same colors into washer along with laundry soap, lots and lots of vinegar and some oxi clean and that seems to have done the trick. I do get some raveling put so far its not been too bad.

She had pre-washed most of the fabric and all of it was cut in someway or another but most of it will be usable for the Vet quilts.

I wish I could have just cut and sew into quilts with the smell then laundered it out but with my COPD there was no way I could breathe in that moldy odor. They say if it smells like mold then there is mold spores present even if you can't see the mold.

Again thank y'all so much
                      Have a blessed day
                      Pam[/I]
                      [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

A couple years ago I was given a bunch of yardage that was about 30 years old, lots of pretty florals. It smelled very musty, so I laundered it all, cut off the resulting strings and ironed it. Lots and lots of ironing. Soon I realized it was almost all a polyester blend, which was so popular back then. I debated whether to keep it and make donation quilts, but ended up donating the fabric. I just really don't like the smell of ironed polyester. That burning milk jug smell. I know someone will make good use of it.

Comment

Working...
                        X