Batiks question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batiks question

I know I've seen the answer to this question but can't find it. When working with batiks is there a front or back to them. The green one I've been working with doesn't seem to have either! Same on both sides.

Thanks!

PS No new sewing machine from Black Friday yet. Good things come to those who wait! Right? (Waiting my "ship"ment to come in! Called again today probably next week!
    Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Re: Batiks question

Funny you should ask! I'm making something with batiks right now, and, as far as I can see, both sides are the same.

Comment

I've never noticed a difference between front and back. I'm thinking it is interchangeable. But I always to check :-)
      https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Some of them have a definite "right" side - especially if they are stamped during the process, but many do not have a right or wrong side. If you can't tell when looking closely, no one else will see the difference in your project. Besides, we pay for both sides of the fabric........some people will use the "wrong" side of cotton fabric for a more muted pattern or color.
        Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Most of the time, both sides are so similar that either one can be used. I have noticed that some batiks that were heavily waxed may have some areas that appear darker and have more clarity on the right side, but usually just in some areas.

Here's an interesting article. https://laurieshifrindesigns.wordpre...-dyed-fabrics/

Comment

I asked this same question of the ladies at my LQS earlier this year. It's my understanding there really isn't a right or wrong side. I chose the side that had the slightly brighter colors. I noticed when I pressed the fabric, there still were a few small spots of wax left behind. I carefully scraped those off with my fingernail.

Comment

The only time I've seen a noticeable difference was on dark batiks. I just usually try to determine if one side is more clear, or brighter. If not I don't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
              X