Has anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone?

Has anyone taken the FMQ class on Craftsy by Leah Day? If so did/do you find it helpful? If I understand the way these work, you can go back and watch them after purchase as many times as you want and I am hoping this will help me. My DD wants to know if I would like this class as my birthday gift-she is so thoughtful, well she wants me to teach her to FMQ I think.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Re: Has anyone?

I haven't taken that particular class but I've taken many others and I really like the format. I like being able to go back and refer to the videos again. You can go to Craftsy and get descriptions of the classes as well as reviews. I got a gift certificate for a friend that was recovering from hip surgery and she could pick which class she wanted. Also is you go to the individual blogs of the instructors you can often times get a nice discount.

Comment

I have that one. It's good, but nothing special. She has ton's of free videos on you tube so I would pick something else. I like the walking foot classes.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I haven't taken her class on Craftsy but I've taken others. Leah has a ton of free tutorials on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/user/lcvday

I liked the Craftsy class on fmq from Christina Carmeli, FMQ Essentials. Her designs are larger scale and she's easy to follow. I also have a couple from Ann Peterson. I like her too.

Review the classes available and be sure to watch the sample videos. Check out the reviews too. I found that some classes are suppose to be for a domestic machine but the entire class is done on a long arm machine.

Comment

I have taken three of Leah Days free motion quilting classes on Craftsy, Free motion quilting a sampler, Free Motion Fillers Volume 1, and Free Motion Effect. I quilt on a very tight budget and am very frugal and I can honestly say that all three classes are worth paying $20 for when you can get them on sale. Two important aspects of the Craftsy platform are that you can take your own personal notes while you are watching the video and that the instructor will answer your questions. Yes you can watch a lot of Leah Days free you tube videos, but you won't be able to take your own personal notes, time stamped while you are watching the video, or ask questions personally of Leah. All these classes are very well organized in a manner to constructively grow your skill sets. If you are a beginner free motion quilter Free motion quilting a sampler is the best class to start with. It covers all aspects from how to baste the quilt to how to set up your machine. You can watch the video as many times as you want and there is hand out materials to download.
          Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by quiltingaway View Post
            Also is you go to the individual blogs of the instructors you can often times get a nice discount.
            Sometimes as much as 50 percent off!

For domestic machines - regular sewing machines - Lori Kennedy's class is really good. She also has a website with a lot of free tutorials.

Also recommend Ann Petersen and Angela Walters.
            Vonnie

Comment

The LD class I took was the sampler, so the others may be worth it.
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Thanks for all the input, I think I will check out some-o.k. many-of the free videos first then see what to do from there.
                Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

Working...
                X