CBS Sunday Morning Quilting Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CBS Sunday Morning Quilting Story

Did anyone else see CBS Sunday Morning this morning with the piece on quilting?

It was about a man in San Francisco who makes "Heavy Metal Band" quilts. While I wouldn't pick the fabrics this man used, he was making some really great quilts. It shows that younger (even men) are quilting these days and that you don't have to make your grandmothers quilts to make beautiful artwork.

The young man decided to try making a quilt after attending a quilt show and seeing the beautiful work the ladies had done. He used his Heavy Metal Band T-shirts for his first quilt. Now he uses many different fabrics. He laughed as said there are three ways to quilt, "The right way, the wrong way and my way".

I looked but didn't find a clip (I didn't look extensively, so if some of you computer whizzes can locate it and post it on this thread I'd appreciate it.

Re: CBS Sunday Morning Quilting Story

Sounds interesting. I record that every weekend and they sort of piled up on my dvr. I look forward to watching it!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Hi Bob;
      Here it is: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-collis...nd-rock-music/

Jeannette

Comment

Well I am not really into heavy metal style but that guy clearly has tons of artistic talent! Thanks for bringing this to our attention, otherwise I never would have seen this.

Comment

http://www.cbsnews.com/sunday-morning/arts/
          LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

I saw it. I loved the dragon in the opening segment...skulls not so much. If you have a roku it will be playing all day on CBSNEWS
            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
            Terry

Comment

What an amazing fabric artist. His pieces are awesome. I am not a fan of the music but I love what he has done with it all.
              Karen
              Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I agree I don't like the music but his quilts are wonderful. Just shows anyone can make a quilt if they really want to.

Comment

It's nice to know even younger people can be inspired to make their own style of quilts today.It was a good article I like the fact the he uses recycled fabrics of all kinds.
                  :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

It is wonderful to see this young man doing his own thing in quilting. You do not have to be a fan of his music but it has sure inspired him. His work is awesome.
                    sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                    Sigmund Freud

Comment

I saw the story and was very impressed; I didn't mind his music, as that is a reflection of his uniqueness! Of course, my DH noticed that the sewing machine Ben Venom was using was similar to mine and asked why I would want something bigger?
                      I know Ben's machine is a Juki (not sure what model) and I did try to look up. It could be the Juki F600; I tried to explain to my DH about how hard Ben Venom was fighting the quilt due to minimal harp space and that's what I want to upgrade!
                      But, all in all, the program was enjoyable and I would go to see one of his Art talks!
                      Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks BobW for posting this link. What an interesting vision this guy has. His pieces have a surreal quality to them and I see a little bit of Salvador Dali in his composition of elements. Anybody else see that? I like that he uses a mixture of fabrics and leather in his quilts and also the recycled textiles. As others have commented, I am not a fan of heavy metal music, but I sure appreciate his acknowledgement of the Bob Ross influence! It's fun how many young people who were raised on PBS kids shows remember and love Bob Ross.

Comment

That is a neat tidbit on that artist. Thanks for telling us about it, I did not see it on TV.
                          Vicki C:icon_hi:

Comment

I finally watched the whole show. Very interesting and what a talented young man! The Lady Gaga segment was interesting too.

A little fact on Bob Ross..his hair was actually straight. He got a perm and didn't like it but couldn't turn back.
                            http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/08/bob-...-straight.html
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Wow! These are NOT grandma's quilts!

Still, very cool and exciting that someone has found a niche that incorporates quilts in a unique way.
                              Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                              http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

Working...
                              X