Terrible Problem!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrible Problem!!

I just got into quilting seriously a year ago. I find I have a very grave problem. I m sure none of the rest of you have it.
    I find I cannot sew fast enough. I have projects lined up ahead of me. No deadlines just projects I want t o do.
    I have two queen tops finished and need to sandwich and quilt but I keep seeing other projects I want to do. Oh my what is one supposed to. LOL Just got more material today to go toward Jenny's next to last tut. I just can't keep up.
    I am just going to have to stay off the computer until I catch up...NOT...

Re: Terrible Problem!!

Originally posted by Muriel View Post
    I just got into quilting seriously a year ago. I find I have a very grave problem. I m sure none of the rest of you have it.
    I find I cannot sew fast enough. I have projects lined up ahead of me. No deadlines just projects I want t o do.
    I have two queen tops finished and need to sandwich and quilt but I keep seeing other projects I want to do. Oh my what is one supposed to. LOL Just got more material today to go toward Jenny's next to last tut. I just can't keep up.
    I am just going to have to stay off the computer until I catch up...NOT...
    Oh Dear! You are right - no one else here has THAT problem! (especially NOT ME)

So sorry to hear you have been afflicted!
    Donna

Comment

I have been quilting for ove 20 years and have not found the cure. It is easing up a bit but I still have some major flare ups from time to time. If you find what helps please let the rest of us know

Comment

Haha I hear you!! If only I could quit my job and have all our meals delivered---and drat here comes Christmas, which of course will make me even further behind. Some people fall asleep counting sheep. Not me. I fall asleep thinking about quilt projects, patterns, fabric...

Comment

The sleep issue has me too. I dream about FMQ. Back when I hand quilted I would piece and then I would quilt and I managed to do two to three quilts a year. Occassionally 4. But then, you all turned me on to FMQ and I am so far behind. I piece, I quilt, I piece, I go back to quilt, I piece and I draw and I piece and I plan and I watch tutorials and I make lists and I feel compelled to hurry on to the next one. I have more fabric than I ever dreamed of and yet, I keep buying and planning. I don't even know what I would do with these quilts If I weren't working with the Shriners and giving them up for charity.
          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
          Terry

Comment

LOL I am so glad to know that I am not alone in this... I am wondering listening to you all and knowing my self if we have a happy problem. Maybe we need an intervention. Love it.

Comment

I have so many UFOs, WIP, finished quilt tops waiting to be sandwiched & quilted, & patterns dancing in my head! I think all of us quilters think similarly about this. Also, my fabric stash will outlive me, I'm sure. I know there's an abbreviation used on this Forum for that, but I've forgotten what it is. But I keep plugging along. I tell myself I won't start another project until I finish at least 1 or 2 tops, but then something comes along & I just have to try that one! I'm working on 3 dif. quilts right now: the Broken Orange Peel, the Prairie Flower, & a Rail Fence. So join the club. We all have the same problem.

Comment

You are preaching to the choir on this one. I'd be surprised if anyone didn't have the same problem.

Comment

JCY, it's STABLE - stash accumulation beyond life expectancy.

Comment

I have only been quilting about a year and a half. When I first started I promised myself there would be zero UFOs, only buy fabric when I had the quilt project already in mind, and work on each quilt start to finish, then start the next one...

All that, of course...went right out the window

Comment

Hi my name is Monique and I am a quiltaholic. (Welcome to the club)
                      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

If it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone, it's all good. If you can make someone else happy doing it, It's a WIN WIN WIN!

Comment

So nice to know I am in such great company!

Comment

The replies in this thread are so funny. I feel your pain, by the way!

2 things have greatly helped me:

1) This quote from Jinny Beyer: "We have to stop buying fabric because it's pretty, and start buying fabric because it's useful."
                            When I first started quilting I was enthralled with all the pretty fabric and thought -- this quilting hobby is going to be more expensive than I thought. This quote of Jinny's really helped me put things in perspective -- just because it's pretty, doesn't mean it's my style, will go with the things in my house, is best for the pattern I want to use, nor that I have to buy it!

I have been known to wait for over a year to get a particular fabric that I wanted but was unwilling to pay the going rate for it at the time. Last time I did this was for Timeless Treasure's Date Night fabric which was 10.95 at one source and a year later 3.95 at another source. One thing that helps me with this is: PLANNING my projects.

The other thing this has helped me with: if I "just can't" buy today's daily deal or sale item right now, I am confident I will have another chance later at a better price or believe an even better fabric will come along when I'm ready!

2) Planning -- I keep a "to do" list of quilt & sewing projects I want to make in a year's time. Then, I make a card for every project -- jotting down the project name, pattern, fabric line or general colors wanted (if known at the time), draw some sample blocks in small scale, include the recipient's name if it is a gift and for what event (e.g., birthday); I will add notes as to sources that have specific fabrics I'm considering, specialty thread I want to use, quilting pattern ideas, and, of course, the measurements. If I know I will be selling the quilt, I also keep note of supply costs.

I make these cards by folding a piece of copy paper in half with a horizontal fold, then with a vertical fold. I save the cards with a picture of the finished project when I'm done -- both for my record and in case I want to make the project again.

Planning projects also lets me prioritize them, so I know there may be LOTS of projects I WANT to complete, but only "x" many I CAN realistically complete in any given year; so I don't feel the need to buy too much fabric for a project that I am not going to work on this year -- otherwise, there's lots of money wrapped up in supplies for several projects, but you don't have all the supplies you need to complete any one project! On the other hand, it also allows me to pick up 2 yards of Wiz of Oz yellow brick road fabric and Wiz of Oz character fabric for $2/yard when I see it clearanced because I know it is one of the projects on my to-do list down the road and I most likely won't find the fabric this cheap next year!

I'm sure we've all heard the saying: "She who dies with the most fabric wins." I recently heard Jenny Doan say (on a public TV fundraising event): If you have too much fabric in your stash, then you're not sewing quick enough!

Happy Quilting!
                            Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                            http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

Just as guilty!
                              LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Working...
                              X