Does anyone know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know?

I've been thinking of doing charity work but find you always have to commit to certain days and hours and for me that is hard to do. Than I thought about going to my local VA and see if they would accept quilts.

I know when I go to the doctors it is always so cold in their rooms that I made a small quilt to go over my legs and would also like to make some for the vets that are wheelchair bound as well as regular size lap quilts.

I don't want to appear dumb or embarrassed when I go to the VA so my question is do peoples legs in wheelchairs get cold? And if not do you think they would still like a small lap quilt for their legs?

Thank you
    Have a blessed day
    Pam[/I]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Re: Does anyone know?

I haven't done it myself but I do see people here talking about doing lap quilts for people who use wheel chairs. I thought it was interesting and did google it. You will find quite a few tutorials that way that might be helpful. I also noticed that some of the people would ask what size the organization they donated to would like.
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I think lap quilts make a lot of sense. I know when I sit down I find myself grabbing a quilt no matter what time of the year it may be. When you aren't moving around and generating body heat you get chilly. Most institutions keep it a little cool year round and I think lap quilts would be appreciated and used.
      :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

Ask first in case there is already an organization doing it. Also, they might have restrictions. Like all cotton because of allergies. When you wash them, use fragrance free detergent. These will be washed a lot so keep that in mind. They could also tell you the size. Too large and it will get caught in the wheels.

That's really nice thought you have. Hope it works out for you. I have also heard of people making baby quilts for the preemies.

Auntie Mern does quilts for the children's ward and accepts them also from members here.
        Vonnie

Comment

Thank you everyone super great advice I really appreciate it
          Have a blessed day
          Pam[/I]
          [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Having worked at the VA Prescott I know that they would love to have quilts donated to pass out to the Vets. If you contact the Volunteer Service at your VA, and ask them where you can take them to drop them off, they will be happy to give you the info. If they have a Nursing Home, they will absolutely love to have your lap quilt donations.
            A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Terry (grammaterry) on the forum does quilts for her local Shriners hospital, and I know some of our forum members contributed to her effort. You might send her a message too.

Comment

Thanks Tammy...I can use all the help I can get for the Shriners CHildrens Hospital. We have charity raffle, auction and we also carry quilts to the children. The hospital requires that all the quilts be sanitized but the Shriners in my area are willing to pay for that service once I donate them. Any size is acceptable as we have no restrictions there. So, if you feel like sewing, we would be eternally grateful. The VA might be a great place too. You just have to find someone there that will tell you the restrictions because if you don't, they could just end up being thrown out.
                Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                Terry

Comment

We also have a Circle of Comfort group here on the forum. You can check it out under the group tab from the menu bar.

The quilts go to people who need a quilty hug to help make it through tough times. Cancer treatments, family crises, and the like. They are always appreciated.
                  Last edited by toggpine; November 27, 2016, 02:07 AM.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel
                  because those who mind don't matter,
                  and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Great news,

Stopped by my local VA today and was told that they would accept any size and the quilts I would like to make for them. They were very excited about it.

So now I can't wait until after I've had my surgery and all healed to be able to start making quilts for our Veterans..
                    Have a blessed day
                    Pam[/I]
                    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                    X