X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kensington
    replied
    Re: Make a Surprise Half Hexi Quilt with Jenny! New tutorial

At first I was taken aback by this... The colors I think. I was like "Oh No"... not me. And infact it was so confusing to me I didn't see the Chevron she showed at the end. LOL. But, once I caught up and saw that, and she showed it the second layout... I like it.

Not sure I would rush to make it... but it's simple and in colors I pick... I can see it coming together and someone loving it

Leave a comment:

• seaturtle
    replied

I really like this one. I have many other projects in the works and higher up on my list, but I see a lot of possibilities with this one.

Leave a comment:

• MRoy
    replied

I don't think I'll try this one, but if I did I would make the variation Jenny showed using 4 units with the darks coming together in the middle to make 1 large block.

Leave a comment:

• bhaggerty
    replied

At first I didn't like it but the other variations look good!
    I would probably use the lapel stick to make sure it didn't shift while stitching around them all.
    Might make a test block.

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
    This pattern isn't for me. I got stressed just watching Jenny lay out the blocks. If I made it I would have to lay it out on point to have it make sense to my brain. The concept of sandwiching the half hexies is good.
    Stress is right. Exactly what came to me.

Leave a comment:

• Sheep Farmer
    replied

What a cool quilt to make.
    And I like the various layout possibilities.
    Looks like it could be a lot of fun with creativity!

Leave a comment:

• The_Last_Unicorn
    replied

A jelly roll would work as long as the edges weren't pinked - otherwise one side of your hexi would have a pinked edge that may not be hidden in the seam.

Leave a comment:

• sewlucky
    replied

I think this is a VERY cool quilt!!

Leave a comment:

• Kgrammiecaz
    replied

I really liked this one. You could also do as a quilt as you go. Then the stiching around the hexie would be part of the quilting. I agree with using a jelly roll.

Leave a comment:

• Vonnie
    replied

Stitching down the hexies would be easy on my Babylock. It has the option of automatically lifting the presser foot when I stop and I have an open foot which helps with seeing where the needle is hitting.

Jenny is using their Missouri Star template which is made to use on charm squares and you can get two hexies from a 5 inch charm so you should be able to lay the template on a jelly roll strip and just flip flop it down the strip when cutting all those hexies. I think it would be less waste.

Now then, are all these ideas Jenny's or do people submit ideas to her and she "runs" with it?

Leave a comment:

• Cathy F
    replied

Like the look of this quilt but then having to stitch all those hexies down isn't for me.

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

I won't be making this one either. But Jenny's mind always is working to come up with something new. It's fun to watch her enthusiasm.

Leave a comment:

• dwil23
    replied

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
    Hmm, I see the possibilities. But, why not use a jelly roll for the half hexies? I have a solid red jelly roll.

I would have to press those seams open - easier to quilt over.

I can see this in red white and blue.

What colors would you use?
    My first thought - less waste - less cutting. If the height of the template is more than 2 1/2" strips could be cut the proper height, instead of 5".

I agree with Bubba, though, not really my taste, but always interesting to see the new ideas Jenny comes up with.

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied

This pattern isn't for me. I got stressed just watching Jenny lay out the blocks. If I made it I would have to lay it out on point to have it make sense to my brain. The concept of sandwiching the half hexies is good.

Leave a comment:

• Vonnie
    replied

Hmm, I see the possibilities. But, why not use a jelly roll for the half hexies? I have a solid red jelly roll.

I would have to press those seams open - easier to quilt over.

I can see this in red white and blue.

What colors would you use?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X