• Show
Clear All

Make a Surprise Half Hexi Quilt with Jenny! New tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIKry1GesIs

Enjoy
    sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Re: Make a Surprise Half Hexi Quilt with Jenny! New tutorial

Thank you Annika.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Hmm, I see the possibilities. But, why not use a jelly roll for the half hexies? I have a solid red jelly roll.

I would have to press those seams open - easier to quilt over.

I can see this in red white and blue.

What colors would you use?
      Vonnie

Comment

This pattern isn't for me. I got stressed just watching Jenny lay out the blocks. If I made it I would have to lay it out on point to have it make sense to my brain. The concept of sandwiching the half hexies is good.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
          Hmm, I see the possibilities. But, why not use a jelly roll for the half hexies? I have a solid red jelly roll.

I would have to press those seams open - easier to quilt over.

I can see this in red white and blue.

What colors would you use?
          My first thought - less waste - less cutting. If the height of the template is more than 2 1/2" strips could be cut the proper height, instead of 5".

I agree with Bubba, though, not really my taste, but always interesting to see the new ideas Jenny comes up with.
          Donna

Comment

I won't be making this one either. But Jenny's mind always is working to come up with something new. It's fun to watch her enthusiasm.

Comment

Like the look of this quilt but then having to stitch all those hexies down isn't for me.
              If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Stitching down the hexies would be easy on my Babylock. It has the option of automatically lifting the presser foot when I stop and I have an open foot which helps with seeing where the needle is hitting.

Jenny is using their Missouri Star template which is made to use on charm squares and you can get two hexies from a 5 inch charm so you should be able to lay the template on a jelly roll strip and just flip flop it down the strip when cutting all those hexies. I think it would be less waste.

Now then, are all these ideas Jenny's or do people submit ideas to her and she "runs" with it?
                Vonnie

Comment

I really liked this one. You could also do as a quilt as you go. Then the stiching around the hexie would be part of the quilting. I agree with using a jelly roll.
                  Karen
                  Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I think this is a VERY cool quilt!!

Comment

A jelly roll would work as long as the edges weren't pinked - otherwise one side of your hexi would have a pinked edge that may not be hidden in the seam.

Comment

What a cool quilt to make.
                        And I like the various layout possibilities.
                        Looks like it could be a lot of fun with creativity!

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                        The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                          This pattern isn't for me. I got stressed just watching Jenny lay out the blocks. If I made it I would have to lay it out on point to have it make sense to my brain. The concept of sandwiching the half hexies is good.
                          Stress is right. Exactly what came to me.
                          🌺 Lorie

Comment

At first I didn't like it but the other variations look good!
                            I would probably use the lapel stick to make sure it didn't shift while stitching around them all.
                            Might make a test block.
                            Happy Quilting!

Comment

I don't think I'll try this one, but if I did I would make the variation Jenny showed using 4 units with the darks coming together in the middle to make 1 large block.
                              *~* Myrna *~*
                              *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Working...
                              X