X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auntie Uli
    replied
    Re: Thankful for those who encourage

In my experience quilters are open minded, loving and giving persons. But there are some exceptions even here where patchwork and quilting is an exotic hobby I met women who think only the modern quilt movement is worth to think about and traditional quilting is a waste of time. I think this is ridiculous because there wouldn't be modern quilting without traditional quilting, I am not an expert but I think it is the basis and if they can't appreciate the beauty of a traditional quilt I feel sorry for them.

Last week someone told me you can't quilt swirls with a DSM, you have to do it on a longarm. I have no idea how many long arms we have in Germany but surely not more than 20? I quilt swirls on my Janome and they come out great....

People should focus on having a good time with each other, there is enough to worry about these days...

Leave a comment:

• K. McEuen
    replied

I sometimes hesitate to make any machine recommendations when people ask because I don't know their price range. The best advice, I think is get the best that you can afford and feel comfortable with. For some that may be $200.00, for others it could be $20,000. Learn to do the best with what you have until something else comes along. I would have a hard time paying 20 grand for a machine unless I was planning on making a business out of it.

Leave a comment:

• Bjvarizona
    replied

I couldn't agree more with your conclusions. It's sad to think of the folks out there that may never know the joys of quilting because they thought that they couldn't "afford" to try!

Leave a comment:

• dogsavvy
    started a topic Thankful for those who encourage

Thankful for those who encourage

I had an odd experience today.

Visited a quilt shop & was told not to bother with one of 'those toy long arms'. She had to explain what she meant by that. Bless her heart, she's entitled to her opinion however, it is not realistic to snub any machine priced under $20,000- $30,000. No doubt there are those who can afford one but... It's the 1st time I have encountered someone like this. There was no discussion. Anything not her brand or at least twenty grand was a waste of money & a joke.

I LOVE to quilt but if I'd thought the only way to 'be serious' or 'any good' required a machine that cost more than some cars, I wouldn't have tried to begin with. Sadly I wonder how many hopeful quilters she's put off that way? She didn't seem elitist yet there is no discussion.

I guess ignorance is bliss. My Singer didn't know about its lack of breeding. Lol. Our sons & grandson all have quilts I made & acted like I'd given them a box of gold. I figure if my non-longarm Singer successfully did the job on those quilts, a sit down long arm machine from a reputable company might be a toy to her but it can be my Ferrari

I didn't post this to be mean about this shop owner but I thought about another shop I visited & how very different. I thought about the YouTube videos I used to learn to make ALL of my quilts, table runners, etc... from MO Star Quilt Co. A very different attitude, one of encouragement. So I am most Thankful this year for many things but the level of encouragement is a blessing to this little quilter.
Working...
X