Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FMQ with Rulers using your Sit-Down Machine (either DSM or table LA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FMQ with Rulers using your Sit-Down Machine (either DSM or table LA)

Yesterday I signed up for my first Craftsy Class -- it's on sale. It was Amy Johnson's Quilting with Rulers. I've already watched all the lessons. I've been watching some YT videos & surfing the web looking for info. & quilting rulers. For 4.5 yrs. I've been doing all my FMQ free-hand, but I think I'm up to the challenge of learning a new skill. The rulers are a bit pricey. Amy sells several rulers on her web site. For my Baby Lock Tiara II, I'll need the 1/4" rulers. I think I can make a start with just 1 straight edge ruler & 1 curved. I don't quilt for competition, but I think it will be fun to try something new. I'm currently making the Broken Orange Peel quilt pattern. I was thinking how neat some ruler work would look around those curved lines in the blocks.

Anyone out there doing FMQ with rulers using a sit-down machine? Share your experiences & what rulers work best for you.

Re: FMQ with Rulers using your Sit-Down Machine (either DSM or table LA)

I haven't but I really want to with my babylock Jane. Just saw a demo at the local store on a similar machine. I did not have time to watch the whole thing but I really want to find out more too.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

I have used rulers with my Tiara II. My dealer gave me a couple of sets to try when I bought my machine. They are fun but were a learning curve for me. The one I am best at is a straight line where the foot runs down the middle. I also decided that a 10 inch ruler was about the max I could easily use with the space on the table. I will be practicing with the curves but I found them much more difficult to move and be consistent with. I will be back practicing when I finish my current projects for the holidays. Look forward to hearing how you like them.
      Ann

Comment

This is exciting! I am looking forward to hearing about your experiences with this technique. I have only viewed a short section of a video, and thought I would have a lot of trouble managing the ruler and moving the fabric.
        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Using Westalee rulers with my Bernina 710....only just started practising but enjoying it so far and looking forward to Father Christmas bringing me some more rulers.....very keen to try circles The current quilt I am piecing won't require ruler work so it's going to be a couple of months before the next ruler project.

Comment

Hi,

Amy's online tutorials inspired me to try rulers. I have a few of the Accents in Design rulers (straight and curved), and really like them. Those rulers came with velcro-like grippy strips already installed. I also have the Westalee template sampler set, but haven't used them yet.

Liz

Comment

I've had the rulers for some time and have played around with them. I also have the class. It is the one I selected for free this past summer. Have yet to watch any of it.
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Can you share a link to some you tube tutorials

Comment

Check around your home for items with a lip that you may be able to use as a ruler too. I have some small candles in a tin, which have a 3/8 inch(deep) lid. It was perfect for making circles. I love using rulers on my LA.

Comment

I am currently quilting straight lines with a ruler foot on my Janome, using the Janome ruler foot. I also joined Amy Johnsons class and find it very helpful. After a bit of practicing it works good now, but I am not really good enough. This method works fine, I purchased a straight line and an oval ruler, but only did straight lines until now.
                    However in my experience it is very exhausting especially for shoulders and neck to move the quilt with the ruler. This might get better with more practice and it's a king size quilt I am working on....
                    Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

I have the Accents in Design rulers (straight and curved) and have used the straight ruler quite a bit - once I got the hang of moving it and the quilt at the same time. When doing straight line quilting, I would rather use the ruler than my walking foot. And when you are FMQ and need to go to another area along a seam - very easy to do with a ruler.
                      ***Kathy***

Comment

I have Jamie Wallen's small straight and curved rulers. They have a lovely maroon handle! Also a curved ruler from DeLoa Jones and some scallops that my mother didn't use. I sew on a Janome 8900. With a large quilt it can be tricky to maneuver. Just go slowly. And breathe deep!

Also--do NOT try to cut costs and corners by using your fmq foot with your cutting rulers. This will only end badly.
                        The trail is the thing----Louis L'Amour

Comment

Originally posted by Carol336 View Post
                          Can you share a link to some you tube tutorials
                          Here is one of her videos with rulers. You can subscribe to her channel. She has other videos too, without rulers.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arqlc6E7qdU

Comment

https://youtu.be/d7fLLs04nfI

Here is a link to a free tutorial by Patsy Thompson I think she is amazing !
                            Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

There are a some videos on Amy Johnson's web site in her blog posts. It's Amy's Quilting Adventures. I don't know how to do the links. Sorry. You can just google Amy Johnson. I plan to watch more of her YT videos. I haven't bought any of the rulers yet. I've been in touch by e-m with Amy to see which rulers she recommends for a beginner. She sells a large variety of rulers & other items. Her prices seem quite reasonable. I know it will be another practice - practice - learning curve for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X