Trying to decide Sit down long arm machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to decide Sit down long arm machine

I am tentatively shopping for a sit down long arm machine. I have spinal damage from an accident & can't stand long enough to quilt on a big frame. I have been able to sit down at a King Quilter. Am also considering the Janome Artistic 18 or Tinlizzie 18. If anyone has used any of these & have info on either of these (love em or hate em) please share. I'm looking for a machine to last me a long time (with proper maintenence, of course) that isn't high maintenance. Thus far I am only finding 1 reputable quilting shop & they only carry the King Quilter sit down machine.

I have a Singer Futura 400 with all the fancy embroidery abilities. I relied on help from a big box store. There was no place to go try out a machine where I lived. I'm in nearly the same boat with the long arm. I make a lot of quilts. I'm just trying to gather information so I don't make a huge/expensive buying mistake.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have for me.

Re: Trying to decide Sit down long arm machine

Check out Handiquilter's Sweet 16 and Babylock Tiara.

There are several members here that have the Tiara and love it.

I have the Babylock Crown Jewel II on a frame. I got the frame because I have high blood pressure and the only place big enough in our house to make a large quilt sandwich is the living room floor. Last time I sandwiched a queen size quilt I thought my head was going to fall off it hurt so bad. I can't stand for long periods to quilt the entire quilt at one time so I take breaks.

I think JCY bought the Tiara.
    Vonnie

Comment

I have the Tiara III and love it. 18 inch throat and a nice table (36 xx 30) with an optional 18 inch drop leaf. I'm still new at using it, but it sure makes it easy to quilt. The biggest quilt I've done so far is about 78 x 62. I have a Baby Lock dealer close by who will help me with any problems I may have, but so far I've had none.
      A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

I have the Artistic and have been having fun with it since June 2014. It has been harder for me, because I could not FMQ well before I got it. But my artistic daughter in law and granddaughter made beautiful quilting the first time they gave it a try. I tried to talk them into being my quilter, but they felt I could do the same as they did with a little bit of practice. 2 years later I'm still practicing.?? But does make a nice stitch it doesn't do anything but quilting produced by you the operator.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Keep em coming I am soaking up the advice

Comment

Last year I bought the Baby Lock Tiara II; it was a floor model so the price was discounted. I have the 18" extension table on the left side. The space it takes up is 54" wide. I did not have room for a frame, nor did I want one. I wanted to be able to sit down to quilt. You can browse my Sewing Room Album to see more pics. I use an adjustable office chair. I lower it down when needing to access the bobbin area (under the table) for cleaning & changing the bobbin. I use a flashlight to see better. I have a goose neck lamp for additional lighting. I've been very satisfied with this LA. I would recommend getting the 3 yr. Gold Standard plan to cover maintenance/cleaning, etc. Hopefully you have a local dealer who can come to your house to set it up & demo how to use it. I spent at least an hr. in the shop trying it out prior to my purchase. I already had been doing FMQ on my DSM for 3 yrs., so I did not buy the stitch regulator, which costs extra. I hope you find a product that fits your needs.Tiara II - Sept. 2015 002.jpg

Comment

I'll be watching this thread for suggestions, too! Thank you for asking as I have been contemplating the same thing...

Comment

Aloha all, I have the Handi Quilter Sweet 16, luv it. There is a learning curve on getting your tension right for different threads, once you get it, just sit down and quilt to your hearts content. It fits in a corner of my parlor, 30 x 36", I pull up my ironing board to the left if working on a large bed quilt to support the quilt. It has a 16" throat, and I believe Handi Quilter makes a lot of different machines that put their names on them. They also have great tutorials that you can watch. The machine came with a box of threads from Superior to try out. I did get a $900 discount because I purchased the machine at Road to California. It was one of the class machines (brand new used just for those classes). But it cost me $600 for shipping to Hawaii, still was less than full price. Hope this helps. A pic of quilt made on sweet 16.160726-121900.jpg

Comment

Here is one from the same company I bought my long-arm from. http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/ti...ng-sitdown.php Hope you find something that will work for you. Something else that works...buy a used dining room table from Goodwill and have your husband/sig other, to cut a hole in it and fit it for your sewing machine. sewing table (2).jpgsewing table2.jpg22.jpg My husband did this for me.
                  Attached Files
                  LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

BEAUTIFUL quilts & sewing room! Wow

Comment

Working...
                    X