Bobbin Filling Chaos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bobbin Filling Chaos

I've been sewing a long time, and this sounds like a question a total newbie might have, but here it is:
    I have a Singer S16. I am using Aurifil 50 thread.
    The thread cap for my machine doesn't seem to fit very tight, and has built in stoppers so I can't jam it down on the thread spool. (Not that I would want to)
    The machine has a separate bobbin filler mechanism, and a spindle for a second spool of thread to use to fill bobbins, without unthreading the machine, which a task unto itself.

The Aurifil thread spool has a larger diameter hole than the spindle on the machine, so there is some wobble there.
    Lately, when I try to fill a bobbin, the spool of thread starts wobbling so bad it jumps off the spindle and throws the spool cap, and even the end of the spool across the table. I have checked and re-checked to make sure I have it threaded correctly for filling, but it seems like the thread is getting caught up and jumping, creating the wobble. It doesn't make any difference if I put the spool on with its end up or down or off. The cap always flies off if I don't hold it on, and once the cap flies off, all heck breaks loose!

On the last bobbin I filled yesterday, I found that having the end piece of the spool down, and holding it down (keeping my finger on it) as the bobbin filled kept it from wobbling. The thread unwound from the spool evenly without spinning. Shouldn't the thread just flow off the spool with out spinning much? Certainly without wobbling?
    Has anyone else encountered this with the S16 and Aurifil thread? Any suggestions? (I just stocked up on Aurifil)

Re: Bobbin Filling Chaos

I had a spool of white Aurifil that was unthreading my needle constantly. I watched it carefully and when it was unwinding, it was catching at the bottom of the spool, as if the thread was pushed under itself. I moved that spool to the extra spindle for winding bobbins and it was jumpy, like you are describing. I just held it on the spindle every time I wound a bobbin until it was all used up.

That's the only time (so far) that I have had any problems with Aurifil.

Jeannette

Comment

That definitely sounds annoying! Are you close to a shop you could take it to and ask them or would they charge you? Or call the place you got the machine from, is it new or have you had it for awhile?

Comment

I bought it online from the Singer website, so no takey-backs.
        I am beginning to wonder if it is this particular spool of thread. I think I will try some other spool. Why didn't I think of that?

Comment

Thank you! I've had that happen with spools of embroidery thread, serger thread, quilting thread.

I was told I was crazy.

Can you get another spool cap? The one you have could be defective.

Comment

Because I sew with older machines, a few of which, weren't made to hold crosswound thread, I have a stand alone thread holder.
            When I am using a machine that does hold the crosswound thread, I discovered I could use the stand to hold the thread for the bobbins so I don't have to unthread the needle to wind a bobbin. I am thinking of getting a second stand because it has been so handy for bobbins that it's worth it to have a dedicated "bobbin winding" thread stand.
            Just be careful to keep it away from your handwheel!!!
            Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I took a piece of a straw (from McDonald's, because that is what I had) and stuck it on the spool spindle and then put the spool of Aurifil over that. I had to pinch the straw a bit to get the end cap over it. The spool spindle was in the upright position. This solved the problem for me. (I had the same thing happening). I guess I could buy a spool stand but since this worked, I'm fine with it. I also took a picture of this setup with my IPad so that I could remember what worked. Maybe that would work for you as well.

Comment

Originally posted by lots2do View Post
                I took a piece of a straw (from McDonald's, because that is what I had) and stuck it on the spool spindle and then put the spool of Aurifil over that. I had to pinch the straw a bit to get the end cap over it. The spool spindle was in the upright position. This solved the problem for me. (I had the same thing happening). I guess I could buy a spool stand but since this worked, I'm fine with it. I also took a picture of this setup with my IPad so that I could remember what worked. Maybe that would work for you as well.
                That's a great idea. I was wondering if some kind of liner inside the spool would work. I may have a straw around here somewhere.

Comment

I use a piece of a straw on the spindle for my Singer Featherweight - works like a charm.
                  ***Kathy***

Comment

You guys are so brilliant. I have some superior cones that are just too big for my spindles. I have tried putting a little spool inside and seeing if I could make it work. No...But a straw...hummm...DH made me a thread cone holder and it works great for bobbin threading but when I try to use it for the cones in regular piecing sewing, the tension isn't right. Are you brilliant people able to come up with a solution for that. I decided, I will just use up the superior cones for bobbins but, it would be nice to have matching top and bottom thread sometimes.
                    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                    Terry

Comment

Once at a class an instructor had another person turn her thread cap around - so the curved part faces out instead of to the spool. Not sure how much it helped because I was sitting in front of her but I don't think the lady had another problem with it.

Comment

I put the large cones down behind my machine then run the thread up from behind and do normal threading. Also you can tape a small safety pin on the top edge of machine so the eye of pin just sticks up above edge of machine, run your thread from the cone up and through the eye, then proceed as usual, works for me. I have Master Piece 10,000 yard cones.

Comment

I have some problems like that on my 301. I just slip a plastic straw cut in half over the spindle. It's just the right size to hold the spool stable while winding the bobbin or sewing. I also had problems with my aurafil thread slipping down off the spool and winding around the spindle when i was sewing with a full spool. I took a thread net cut in half and put it over the bottom of the spool with the thread coming out the top. Its seems to have solved the problem.
                          Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight, Rocketeer

Comment

Some excellent ideas here. I haven't had time to get back to sewing the last few days, but hope to this weekend, and will see if things work better.

Comment

Working...
                            X