American Girl doll dresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Girl doll dresses

Recently someone posted they were making American Girl doll dresses for their GC for Christmas and it hit me that I have 4 GD with American Girl dolls...so ...today at the restaurant I took my sewing machine (we are not very busy right now...don't know why, but this too shall pass) So I started cutting and sewing. I managed to get 7 finished. I am making 3 for each GD and hopefully a little jacket to go over them. It was kind of fun, although, I haven't made garments or doll clothes for so long, I forgot about the 5/8 inch seam allowance at first and clipping corners. I must say though, making quilts is so much more fun.
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Re: American Girl doll dresses

My oldest GD (7) is barbie girl, made barbie clothes for my daughter when she was young, ARGH, had my fill for sure, so the GD barbies are not very fashionable, but she does have pretty quilt and quilt rugs! Next GD (3) is not a Doll girl (fingers crossed that changes, she is big sister to a new 3 month old... so if not, then I still have one more chance to have a big doll lover.

Comment

We need to see photos of those doll fashions!

Comment

What a wonderful idea! I could never imagine making Barbie clothes and trying to sew elastic on the wrist end of sleeves, etc. I think it would be lots more fun to make A.G. clothes and I even noticed there's patterns you could buy for them in the Nancy's Notions catalog. Matching GD and dolly PJs would be cute too. I have 5 yo and 4 yo GD who aren't interested in dolls-I hope that will eventually change.

Comment

My grand daughters are only nominally interested in their AG dolls. I made quite a few clothes for them when they first got them, but haven't in a while. It is fun, and their size isn't as frustrating to work with as Barbies.
          If, like me, you have no place to buy pretty scraps of fancy fabric since Hancock's closed, you can buy clothes at Goodwill and debone them for doll clothing fabric.

Comment

I love making AG sized doll clothes - Terry - we need pics!

Comment

My girl isn't a dolly kid either. She asked for more velociraptors a few days ago. (The plastic play kind, I hope.) They don't require too many clothes and accessories.

She has a couple of the Build-A-Bear bears and those can take premie clothes, but I haven't attempted to make any. I modified a onesie into a t-shirt. A night gown or PJs to match hers might be in order. I was trying to find a pattern for the t-shirts with the envelope shoulders, as they are easier to get over the bears heads and still have a normal neck line. I didn't find one in the pattern books the last time I looked. How odd is that?

Great idea on harvesting material from thrift clothes. Sometimes you can't find cute apparel prints in the regular fabric section, or there may be the perfect graphic you can fussy cut from a bigger shirt.

Best wishes on your doll clothes! I bet the grands will be thrilled!
              Last edited by toggpine; November 18, 2016, 11:52 AM. Reason: Needed a space for easier reading!
              Be who you are and say what you feel
              because those who mind don't matter,
              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I am sure they are going to love them! I still remember getting Barbie doll clothes that my Mom made one year for Christmas. These were fancy duds - capes with fur collars and gowns and they were so pretty. I don't know how she found the time to do it. She was a nurse and was working evening and night shifts so I know she lost sleep doing those in her 'spare' time, but my sisters and I and my cousin loved them and had the best dressed Barbies on the block!

Comment

I didn't have Barbies when I was young the Dawn dolls were the *in fashion* fashion doll and I made clothes for them. As I grew older my Mom and I did a few porcelain baby dolls and a few vinyl look like real babys. Then I got caught in the Tyler Wentworth and Gene Fashion dolls and made clothes for them. Still enjoy those. Here are some of the outfits I have made for them.
                  PB170003.jpgPB220022.jpgPB230023.jpgPB080007.jpg
                  sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                  Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                  Sigmund Freud

Comment

April, beautiful! Love, love, love the overalls.
                    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Wow, Iris girl...those are spectacular. Those are dolls I didn't know about. What years were they produced. They look a lot like Barbies in size.
                      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
                        Wow, Iris girl...those are spectacular. Those are dolls I didn't know about. What years were they produced. They look a lot like Barbies in size.
                        Tyler wentworth came out in 1999 til 2009. http://www.tonnerdoll.com/tonner/ton...yler-wentworth

gene came out in 1995 and was manufactured by several companies and resurrected at least once. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Marshall

McCall's, Simplicity and Vogue all has patterns for their clothing. The accessories like shoes were difficult to find.
                        sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                        Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                        Sigmund Freud

Comment

These clothes are just stunning. I can't imagine making the tiny necklines and sleeves etc. Your work is just beautiful!

Comment

I also love making AG doll clothes for my DGD and DD. I have made over 30 plus outfits. I love all the cute and adorable patterns that are available for the dolls. There is one website, called Pixie Faire, that sells oodles of amazing patterns. If you sign up for their newsletter, you can get a free doll clothes pattern each Friday. So far the patterns have ranged from simple shoes to elaborate dresses. A few months ago, they gave away a $10.99 doll dress pattern. It had been on my wish list but I just couldn't see me paying that much for a pattern. I was so tickled!!

Here is the link, http://www.pixiefaire.com/

The only time I get an email from them is on Friday, with the link to the free pattern download.

Comment

I have a box of AG doll patterns that someone from here gave me. I use to make the clothes for my GD, but she has outgrown that era. If anyone would like them let me know and I will send them to you. Since there may be several people that would like these, I will send them to the first person that sends me a private message.
                              :icon_hiya: Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Comment

Working...
                              X