Excited, Very Excited!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excited, Very Excited!

I recently found a Quilt shop closer to me. I decided to go in and have look. I introduced myself to the owner. Told her how quilting helps me with my PTSD and how I like meeting new people and learn from others. I asked if she had any classes or get together soon. She said no I should. I said what if you do a BOM starting in January. She said sure we can do that. Then I swung for the fence and ask if I could lead it and call it Grampz Block of the Month Party. She actually said yes!! I have to get the the first 3 blocks together.
    H E L P!!!
    I've watched tutorials after tutorials. My problem is I like them all. Please share with me which blocks I should consider. I've never done this before so please help oh Grampz out!
    Sending Luvz, Hugz, & Prayerz
    ~Grampz
    VETERAN
    n. [VET-ER-AN]
    Someone Who Will Knock You Out
    For Stepping On
    The American Flag!

Re: Excited, Very Excited!

could you do a progressive quilt? One where you start with easy blocks and gradually get into harder ones? That way everyone could join in and not be overwhelmed.
    sigpic

Comment

That sounds like a job made in heaven...is it strictly volunteer or dare I ask, will you get compensation? I know it is fun just to have the social interaction but a paid gig will make you feel even better
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

Good for you Grampz! I don't have any ideas since I've never done one but please do let us know how things go as it goes along. I'm really curious :-)
        https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
        Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Originally posted by LauraP View Post
          could you do a progressive quilt? One where you start with easy blocks and gradually get into harder ones? That way everyone could join in and not be overwhelmed.
          I really like that idea! It's awesome. Maybe start with 9 patch. Sweet idea thanks
          VETERAN
          n. [VET-ER-AN]
          For Stepping On
          The American Flag!

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
            That sounds like a job made in heaven...is it strictly volunteer or dare I ask, will you get compensation? I know it is fun just to have the social interaction but a paid gig will make you feel even better
            Strictly volunteer. Money would be nice.
            VETERAN
            n. [VET-ER-AN]
            For Stepping On
            The American Flag!

Comment

How about doing the Amy Gibson 2012 Craftsy BOM

https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/cla...nth-2012/35549

This is a free class, although you do have to make an account and register. The blocks start simple, and work up to more complex. There are lots of examples to look at.

You would be there to lead the classes personally but a lot of the ground work has already been done for you.

And a big thank you for your service to this country.
              Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I never did a BOM but this is a great idea. How wonderful of you to volunteer, I bet you will have as much fun as your students. Please let us know how everything goes.

Comment

You could do a BOM that builds into a sampler quilt (nine patch, Ohio Star, Fence Rail, Dutchman's Puzzle, etc.).

Comment

Good for you!

Some of the half square triangle blocks make nice sampler quilts. Check out Layer Cake Sampler by Material Girl Quilts.
                    The trail is the thing----Louis L'Amour

Comment

I vote for the progressive option. And at end of class mention what tools are needed for next class. I only pack what is needed when I go to these events. Enjoy

Comment

My sister and I did a BOM for a quilting group and we used a theme. We used 12 blocks that came from the civil war era and it was lots of fun. Someone else did stars for a year, but you could pick any theme and then say that You don't have to use theme type fabrics. We did our civil war in bright colors, but some of the quilters loved using civil war fabrics and that is what they used. The ones that finished the block by the end of the month got their names in a hat and we provided a small prize, fq, ruler, pattern ect. but you don't need to do that. Have fun.

Comment

Congratulations and have fun!

Here's some free patterns for 12 1/2" blocks. Mix and match!

http://www.quilterscache.com/BlocksbySizeC.html
                          Vonnie

Comment

I took Amy Gibson's BOM from Craftsy and loved it. I learned a lot.

Who are you targeting for your class? Beginners? If so, then something easy where you can teach everyone how to make a good seam and a square block.

If more advanced, well the sky is the limit! Teach something YOU like and the others will like it too. If you aren't excited about the patterns, the students will see it and not like it either.

Good luck and keep us posted on your class and the preparations!

Comment

The quilt stores around here charge $5 for the fabric for the first block. If you complete it and bring it back for the monthly meeting, you get the next block's fabric free. They sometimes give a small store discount for the people in the group for that day only. Then when it's close to being complete, they will sell finishing kits. Someone from the quilt store would also talk about new items in the store and any upcoming events/classes. Stores around here really make a lot of money on their Saturday sampler classes.
                              Vonnie

Comment

Working...
                              X