Non quilting tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non quilting tools

What three non-quilting items in your sewing room are your favorite/can't do without?

Number one is my IPOD. I have enough songs that I can listen for 5 days and not hear the same song twice. I love to turn the music up, sing along and work to my hearts content.

Number two is the atomic clock I have in my quilt cave. It is digital so I see the hour and minutes but it also counts down by seconds which is very handy and my old eyes can see it from across the room.

Number three is a bright yellow, 72 inch, metal ruler that I found at the local home improvement store for $9.99. I can put a quilt top down on the floor, put the ruler next to it and see if I need to add to or square up the quilt top. I also use it to smooth across the quilt top when I am spray basting (I have very short arms).
    :icon_happy:

sigpic

Re: Non quilting tools

An ice cube tray to put my feet in so they don't get lost.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

My DH went to Lowe's and bought me 3 desk lamps with clamps and magnify glass. The light is a circle tube with a flip top to look through the magnify glass. Great for having to look at something close up. I have them clamped to tables in my sewing room.
      Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
        LOL - I had to read that twice! But that's a good idea! You could also put bobbins in there too.
        Vonnie

Comment

I read the ice cube thing 2x too! Took me a minute!

I like my cute little hammer, my screwdriver, and my magnetic bowl. I put my feet in that bowl so they don't slip around and get misplaced.
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

My computer, so I can watch how-to videos, or tv shows, or listen to music. My Ott lights, so I can see what I'm doing.

Jeannette

Comment

My TV & Netflix for watching/listening to while I sew, and my Harbor Freight magnetic bowls for my pins.
              *~* Myrna *~*
              *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

My Swifter floor duster, with hardwood floors, it's a daily must and My dog Maggie, she keeps me company. Of course if she would stay out of the sewing room, the swifter wouldn't need to be used daily, (she's worth it though).

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                  Must be a really big tray.

Comment

I'd be concerned about spilling items out of an open ice cube tray. What works for me are those smaller plastic boxes with lids that have several compartments in them. I think I bought mine at Wal-Mart.; they are designed for people who make jewelry. I have a larger one next to my LA table where I store needles, cleaning brushes, misc. tools. I really need a flashlight for looking under the LA table to see to clean out the fuzz when I change the bobbin. My sewing room lighting includes a chicken coop brooder lamp, which is clamped on to metal shelves next to my DSM. It helps light up my sewing area, but also provides some extra warmth in the cool basement. Another essential is the cardboard tube with yarn necklace that I use when I sew on bindings. I hang it around my neck & gradually feed the binding strips. No muss, no fuss. Also, all the plastic shoe boxes, storage units & drawers I have in my sewing room.Cutting Corners Quilt- Nov. 2016 043.jpg

Comment

I have a couple of fishing tackle boxes that I keep my sewing needles in. Works great---Not big boxes maybe 3x5 or so. One of the men who comes to our quilting group uses a big tackle box and if you need it, he probably has it. It works great for him.

Comment

My clock radio, for some music and to keep track of time. And a candle warmer. I love the scent of candles in the sewing room, for some extra calmness.

Comment

When my kids were teenagers in the 80's and 90's the big thing was to buy lots of music CDs, take them out of their cases and put them in carrying cases that zippef up. (Or in reality just throw them in piles all over the floor of their bedrooms) consequently I have a box in the attic with about 500 empty plastic CD cases. They are exactly the same size as a charm square, so they make great dividers if you are sorting yours out by color or theme or something. Also the white paper window envelopes you can buy at office supply stores for storing single cds are great too, you can label the flap and store them as divider sheets between charm packs. Yeah I am a charm pack-aholic and it has been about 15 days since I last bought any!!

Comment

1) 4 x 8 foot dining table (cutting mat on one end and enough room to layout fabric on the rest of the table).

2) Vintage hutch w/ glass doors and some drawers for my fabric stash.

3) Large glass beverage dispenser (approx. 2 feet high) used to store fabric triangle scraps.

4) Clock radio to listen to talk radio while I sew.

5) Wicker hampers next to my fabric stash hutch -- filled with jeans and shirts to be cut (Bonnie Hunter style).
                            Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                            http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

All of my small to large plastic drawer units, keeps me organized!
                              Bev

Comment

Working...
                              X