FMQ and SID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FMQ and SID

I happened across this site and had to share. I often times see people mention they don't FMQ so they will just SID. I always kind of cringe because I think SID is so difficult. At least it is for me. This is just a great article with some good and entertaining hints on FMQ. She also expresses her thoughts on the process of SID. Hope you find it as interesting as I did.

http://http://www.helengodden.com/the-secrets-of-fmmq-2

By the way I by no means want to insult anyone that does SID. I just personally find it difficult to execute.

Re: FMQ and SID

Link doesn't work for me.

Comment

Try this: http://www.helengodden.com/the-secrets-of-fmmq-2

Jeannette

Comment

Originally posted by quiltsRfun View Post
        Link doesn't work for me.
        Sorry. The link from Jeanette works.

Comment

Wonderful, thanks for posting this.

Comment

I have a Janome 6600 and the Sid foot for the aqcufeed ........makes it easier to stay in the ditch. In my LA guild, it is commonly heard, " be consistently inconsistent". In other words, if you make a mistake or stitch near not in the ditch, repeat your mistake and it becomes less noticeable! It really works!

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
              I have a Janome 6600 and the Sid foot for the aqcufeed ........makes it easier to stay in the ditch. In my LA guild, it is commonly heard, " be consistently inconsistent". In other words, if you make a mistake or stitch near not in the ditch, repeat your mistake and it becomes less noticeable! It really works!
              I have the same machine and love it! I agree the ditch foot does help but I just struggle with SID, I want it to be perfect and mine is not. That is why free motion is much more relaxing for me.

Comment

I also have the J6600 love it. Looked up the SID for this machine but I couldn't zoom in on the on- line picture. Picture seems to show a little piece of metal coming from one side of the ditch foot . Is that how this foot is ? I have an acufeed foot for my machine but, it is open toed. Thanks Kathy
                All quilts cat tested and approved.
                sigpic

Comment

Very entertaining. She tells it like it is.
                  Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Yes, there is a little piece of metal that opens and glides in the ditch to keep you where you belong. They also have a 1/4 " foot for the aqcufeed. I use both of these probably more than the open toed aqcufeed foot.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
                      Yes, there is a little piece of metal that opens and glides in the ditch to keep you where you belong. They also have a 1/4 " foot for the aqcufeed. I use both of these probably more than the open toed aqcufeed foot.
                      Thank very much for your reply. The open toed acufeed came with my machine, years ago. Had no idea there were other acufeed feet. Will have to check them out. Thanks again Kathy
                      All quilts cat tested and approved.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for posting the link. Very entertaining!
                        The trail is the thing----Louis L'Amour

Comment

And when you are trying to stay in the vicinity of the ditch (I often do), it is forgiving to use a meandering/zig-zag stitch.

http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/...ng-studio.html
                          Preeti
                          http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

I am one of the rare birds that likes to do Stitch in The Ditch. Some things that I have found helpful are: 1) The color of the thread. Of course, you want to match the color as much as you can to be compatible with the quilt. With that understanding, the darker compatible color is better than the lighter compatible color. The reason - the lighter color reflects more light, and is therefore easier to see. We don't want to see those stitches, so use the darker color that will be harder to see. 2) the weight of the thread. The thinner the thread, the more it will 'sink' into the ditch. I have had great success with using the 60 weight bobbin thread in both the top and the bottom for my SITD. 50 weight cotton works well, but there are also other threads at 60, 70, and 80 weight that would also be good. 3) Many SITD "mistakes" are removed after the quilt is washed - the crinkle effect, you know.

Even when I FMQ, I do some SITD first. I usually SITD all the major vertical and horizontal seams. This prevents the layers from shifting when I get into FMQ. I wish I had know about this when I did my first large FMQ quilt. There was so much shifting with that quilt, that at the end, I actually didn't have enough backing at one side of the quilt, although I had plenty before I started my quilting.
                            If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

So far, I have only SID'd, believing that a finished quilt is better than a folded puddle of attatched scraps.
                              I will one day play around with some ugly fabric, and see if I can freely sew some design, but until then, I'll just keep stitchin in the ditches.
                              Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Working...
                              X