Quilting Protocol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting Protocol

I'm pretty new at quilting, only a couple of years but I have run into a situation twice now and I'm hoping that maybe someone knows a rule of thumb to follow. About a year and half ago I lost a very good friend who had started 'dance of the dragonflies'. She never finished it. My sisters and I made an agreement that we would finish it and give it to the family. I finished the piecing and my sisters had it quilted and put the binding on. A couple of days ago I was given a quilt started by someone who passed and the family would like me to finish the quilt for them (I do not know the family or the woman that started this quilt). My question is: Is there a rule of thumb to follow for doing this? Do I just finish putting together the pieces the person started (even if it will make a lap size instead of queen)? Do I continue to make the rest of the blocks (that aren't put together) to make it a queen?
    Any advice is helpful!
    Gianna

Re: Quilting Protocol

Not knowing the family or the woman, as you said, I would just say no. You could be getting into something you would rather not handle.

Comment

If you don't know them, how did you come by the quilt. Talk with the person that handed it to you, and see what the expectations are? What they want, and what your fee will be. You did the other for your dear friend, out of love and respect. Yes.... you need to charge them, no matter if it is just finishing what they gave you, or completing it in to a bigger quilt. Unless you have specifically advertised, I don't quite know why a total stranger would approach you with such a request. That is how I would handle it...if you want to deal with it at all. If not politely give it back to them, and tell them you are not in the business of finishing quilts.
      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
      sigpic

Comment

This quilt came by way of a friend that has seen my work. I think it is too late to ask for payment but I will know better next time. Thank you both for your help!
        Gianna20150920_132449.jpg

Comment

I would suggest talking with the person who passed the quilt onto you. I would think the family would probably appreciate the quilt more if it was mostly their mother's work, even if it means it smaller than she originally planned.

Comment

Thanks Caroline. I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

I agree with Caroline T, but you probably need to make sure the family knows it won't be a full size quilt, before you start.
              Just a thought: be careful this doesn't start an avalanche of people coming out of the woodwork with old quilt blocks, asking you to finish them. I would think there are a boatload of old unfinished quilts sitting in basements and attics out there. Ack! You don't want to become of the "nice lady who will finish that quilt for free!"

Comment

It's a very important work to take on with meaning behind it... It's a given that a serious conversation should go with the giving of the quilt before i would even touch it. It surprises me that they wouldn't want to have that with you before you even begin... People never cease to surprise me!
                "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Working...
                X