How do you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you?

How do you organize your scraps? I have vowed to organize mine which are piling up quickly, at first I was going to take my DH's suggestion and just toss them but I can just see some adorable quilts in those baskets. So, I am asking for suggestions from you quilters. Do you cut yours into similar sizes-what size? Organize by color? Value?

DD said I should start a group here called Scrap Busting to get some inspiration from those who have made quilts/projects from their scraps. Would there be interest in such a group?
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Re: How do you?

I cut my scraps into sizes that I think I will use, starting with the largest piece I can get out of that scrap. I cut 10", 5", 3.5",2.5",2" and 1.5". I organize these in piles of the same sizes stacked into clear plastic shoe boxes, separating them by color. I have 16 boxes, each labeled by color with a couple for other things....so....red, yellow, orange, green, 2 blue, purple, pink, turqoiuse, brown, black and gray together, white, cream, one for eye spy cut blocks, one for orphan vlocks, and one for handkerchiefs. These are all stacked on shelves. I use to just toss the scraps into these boxes, but the were too full to find what I needed and too hard to use. I worked on one color box at a time, ironed each piece, cut, organized like pieces together, stacked by size, and then moved on to the next box. I am only about 1/2 way through with these boxes......it takes a lot of time, but looks so much neater and is so much more accessible to use. Then as I cut new or even old stash fabric, I trim the ends of the piece and measure, roll, wrap, and label. Anything that is not a straight squared up piece....aka any scraps....I immediately cut, organize and put in the correct color box. This makes it easier to keep up, the fabric is already ironed and it takes just minutes to cut and put away. It leaves both my stash and my scraps neat and tidy and oh, so organized. My goal is to have every piece in my stash only by full width yardage and all scraps trimmed to sizes. I will get there. I have already used out of these boxes for quilts and appliqués. It is so easy to find just the smallest piece that wil do and you can always cut down from larger sizes as needed. I also cut strips of full widths....2 1/2" and 1 1/2", which are stored in their own boxes.

I would love to be part of a scrap buster group! I am currently piecing 2 Farmer 's Wives quilt tops using only scraps. It is invigorating, challenging, and exciting to watch those scraps be used. It is free and freeing because it doesn't feel like waste if you try a new block or color combination and it flops. I love my new fabrics, my old stash, but I adore my scraps!

Comment

I love scraps and scrap quilts. I hate scraps. Sounds conflicting, huh? Well, I love having scraps to work with and I think scrapy quilts are fabulous. I love that I can make a quilt for virtually nothing. But, I hate having boxes of scraps and so I feel compelled to sew sew sew. It makes Me nervous to let them sit, so I find myself feeling like I am always behind. People give me scraps. I love that. But, man, I hate how much work it is to get them organized. I pretty much do what suzyq does except that I don't sort by actual color. I sort by brights , solids, little florals, big florals, blue prints, pink prints and and earth tones.
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

Somewhere your husband won't look would be my suggestion! He would be sure to misunderstand that they really aren't part of your stash and shouldn't effect obtaining additional stash! ;-)

Comment

haphazardly
          Preeti
          http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have two boxes for scraps:

1st box is a 12x12x12 fabric box w/no lid that I bought at the dollar store, and is under my cutting table, that all scraps get dumped into. When it gets full or I get bored, then I sort.

I first sort out all the pieces that are a fat quarter or bigger, these get pressed, folded and stored with the rest of my fat quarters. All the others are sorted by solid or print, and then by color and are placed in my second box.

The second box is one of those rubber-maid under the bed type, also stored under my cutting table. In that box my smaller scraps are sorted (as mentioned above) and each type placed in a zip-lock bag.

When I get a hankerin to make a scrappy quilt (or just need a little bit of one fabric), then out comes the second box, and start choosing the fabrics that I want to use. So far this box is less than half full, so I think I've got a handle on the scraps.... for now.

Comment

Most of my scraps are in plastic shoe boxes so I can through the sides. I do not cut my scraps up ahead of time, because I don't know what size pieces I might need. I have quite a few strips left over from trimming batting off the edges of previously made quilts. I save these because most of them have at least 2-1/2" wide (or wider) strips that can be used for projects. In spare moments I rip out the basting threads, press the fabric & cut into 2-1/2" strips. I save the wider batting strips; they can be sewn together to make practice sandwiches for FMQ. I also keep smaller sandwich strips (maybe 3" by 5-6" which I keep at the side of my DSM for testing the stitch quality after I've changed threads or bobbins.

Comment

thanks for this thread.

Comment

i have tons of scraps, this helps me get organized (maybe)

Comment

Originally posted by Preeti View Post
                    haphazardly
                    Me too, lol

Comment

There has been a scrap busters group for a while...

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=143
                      K is for Karen 😊​..................
                      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                      T - is it TRUE?
                      H - is it HELPFUL?
                      I - is it INSPIRING?
                      N - is it NECESSARY?
                      K - is it KIND?

Comment

I cut about 75% of my stash into 10" squares, I find I am much more likely to use them that way. When those pieces were yardage I tended to forget they were there and they sat and say and didn't get used.

Most of my scraps I cut into 2-1/2" x 5" bricks and keep them in boxes spotted by color. I don't buy theme fabrics (Halloween, Valentine's day, Xmas) but you could keep those altogether in a separate bin. I have TONS of charm squares, that I take apart when I get them and store them by color vertically in a hanging over the rod closet shoe organizer. That works out Great for me. If I am collecting charm packs for a particular quilt I leave them intact in their wrapper and put them in a bin with a note what they are for.

The only thing not organized are my open jelly rolls which I have loose in a copy paper box. They look like a mess but I can usually successfully rummage around in it to get the strips I am looking for. I did for awhile try to re-roll them or keep them separated in ziplock bags but I found it was way too much trouble to continue doing that. I think the key is to try to come up with the most simple system for your stash, otherwise you will spend so much time cutting and sorting your little pieces out. Good luck!
                        Last edited by jjkaiser; November 3, 2016, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I have 2 of these in my sewing room... I use them to "stuff" anything left from a quilt... I don't spend anytime cutting them into sizes... Whenever i need a binding, my first check is in these drawers for something that will go with what i have finished. some are pieced but it's amazing what you can find when you want to use things up... All my zipper pouches or Kleenex holders are made from these leftovers.. NOTHING goes to waste...
                          The same goes for batting... leftover batting pieces can be spray bastted on scraps and cross hatch quilted to make all sorts of last minute gifts...
                          These are extremely well made (but do required putting together)... but are heavy...
                          http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20360464/
                          "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                          that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I started cutting and storing my scraps last summer (2015). At that time, I made a promise to myself to manage my scraps at the end of each new project. So far, I have kept to that promise (which is amazing to me!!!!!!!) Scraps that are large enough to be fat eights or fat quarters are kept in a large bin with my other fat eights and fat quarters. Smaller scraps are usually cut into 5" squares, 2.5" and 2" squares, 2.5" strips and 1.5" strips. The 2.5" and 2" squares are in plastic bags in my bin of precuts. The strips are in boxes. I somewhat arrange the squares and strips into colors, but I am not too concerned about color organization.

If I have a particular scrappy project that I want to do, I will use some of my leftovers to cut pieces for that project. Right now, I am cutting 2" X 3.5" rectangles for such a designated project. I am thinking about doing Bonnie Hunter's 2016 leader/ender project. It is hour glass blocks made to your preferred size. I think I will be using my 2.5" strips for this project. I made a quilt top using her 2015 leader/ender project which was 2.5" tumbler blocks.

It takes time to cut all these pieces, but boy, when I go to make a quilt top, I am so glad to have all the pieces already cut. And, I like knowing that I am making something nice out of leftover material. Over the past year, I have made 4 quilt tops just from project leftovers. That is a big WIN-WIN for me.

Oh! And those pieces that are just too small for anything - they are accumulating in a very, very large plastic bag, and I will use them for stuffing for pet beds.
                            If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Mine are in a pile by the side of my desk. I recently pulled out all the flannel to make belly bands for a dog rescue group. I think they are bothering me so much though, that I may just throw them out.

Jeannette

Comment

Working...
                              X