Sewing Machine Recommendations Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sewing Machine Recommendations Wanted

Hi there - I am taking Lori Kennedy's marvelous Craftsy classes and am just in love with her style of "doodle" free motion quilting. She uses the Bernina 770QE machine which is certainly beautiful - but well above my budget at the moment @@.

I have two machines neither of which can lower the feed dogs so am in the market for something in the $500 or less category that has these abilities: 1. lowering of feed dogs; 2. needle up down; 3. speed control; 4. open toed or clear free motion foot available.

Would also like it to be able to do blanket stitch for appliqué. And if the company makes a compatible walking foot attachment that would be icing on the cake....

Any of you knowledgeable ladies have ideas for me - I will appreciate it greatly!

Re: Sewing Machine Recommendations Wanted

Hi...my idea would be going to a store either a quilt shop or a "sewing/vacuum" shop that sells the well known branded machines....Bernina, Babylock, Janome, etc. and tell them what you are looking for and your price range. All the big brands have machines in all price ranges with different options. You may find one that was a trade-in on a newer machine and get a "higher end machine" for a very good price. I am sure if you live in the Los Angeles area, there are many shops to choose from. You can also visit the web site of the brands you are interested in and get an idea of the machine that fits your needs. Good luck in your search.

Comment

dandelionfair....the best advice is to test drive home sewing machines in that price range and the functions you're looking for. I purchased the Brother Simplicity sewing machine that has the functions and price you're looking for. The dealer through in a clear FMQ foot to make the sale (I did recently purchased a metal open FMQ foot/pricing wasn't bad).

SB3129-img.jpg
      http://www.brother-usa.com/Homesewin...oductID=SB3129

This machine is great for small projects to quilt! But, keep in mind? The harp space isn't as big as I would like it to be and a large project would be difficult to do. Therefore, I wish I could upgrade again......keep in consideration of the harp space when looking for a machine to free motion quilt with!

I want this instead!
      VQ3000_01_L.jpg
      http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewin...oductID=VQ3000
      Last edited by shermur; November 2, 2016, 04:50 AM.
      Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I had all your same "wants" and found the Brother Project Runway PC420PRW to fit my needs at the time, within a price-range I wanted. https://www.amazon.com/Brother-PC420.../dp/B000XE3FGO
        I bought mine on Amazon as well and haven't had any problems with it at all. Love the ease of threading the machine, the thread cutter, walking foot, needle up/down, the blanket stitch that I use a lot for applique.....
        Only in the past year did I feel I might need a stronger machine and one with a bigger harp with space to quilt. The Brother has been great but those were my only complaints - sometimes it balked over thick seams and that I wanted a bigger harp. So, this year, I purchased a 2nd machine at a great price and I love it! The Singer S16 Studio https://www.singerstore.com/singer-s...g-machine.html It is a Wonderful machine, powerful and a large harp. Understand, it is a straight-stitch only machine. It is exactly like the more expensive Janome 1600. So, I use both of these machines to suit my needs. The Best part is that the two combined were less than $1000! There are some brand-name sewing machine snobs out there that swear those are the only machines to get, must get from a dealer, etc. I bought both of mine online and have not had any issues at all with either. My friend has a Janome and has had hers at the shop twice already this year. Get whatever You want, from wherever You want, within Your price budget! Hey, if it does the job and you are happy with it, that is all that matters!
        I am Sew Blessed!
        Alina

Comment

FYI, you don't need to lower the feed dogs to do free motion quilting. Simply lower the stitch length to 0 will not engage the feed dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyndaj View Post
            FYI, you don't need to lower the feed dogs to do free motion quilting. Simply lower the stitch length to 0 will not engage the feed dogs.
            I was going to mention that too. An article by Leah Day

https://leahday.com/pages/drop-feed-...otion-quilting
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I agree that you don't need to lower your feed dogs. If you like you machines, try not lowering and setting the stitch length to 0.

Machine suggestions:

The Singer 9960. It has all of your "want" list included in the price for less than $400. https://www.amazon.com/9960-600-Stit...3GPP0PCETSGPG9

I also think the Singer S-16 is a great machine to consider for a straight stitch only machine. I have been debating for a long time about buying it. I am not sure how much longer I can stop from buying it. The best price right now is at the Singer.com site.

Singer S-18 is a great machine but a little out of your range but it does include all the feet and accessories. The price goes up and down on Amazon. It is $725 now. Sometimes goes down to $650 and up over $1000. This is a machine that is worth watching for the best price. It is the sister machine for Janone 6500.

Comment

Many thanks for all the recommendations. I will take some time this afternoon and follow up on all the links you have kindly provided...

Comment

Originally posted by Lyndaj View Post
                  True, and you can buy the free motion feet for any machine. I have purchased mine from ebay. You just need to know if your machine is "short shank" "long shank" or "slant shank". If in doubt, the ebay dealers I have purchased from responded when I asked if it was the correct foot for the machine I wanted to use it on.
                  Donna

Comment

Originally posted by amartin24 View Post
                    I had all your same "wants" and found the Brother Project Runway PC420PRW to fit my needs at the time, within a price-range I wanted. https://www.amazon.com/Brother-PC420.../dp/B000XE3FGO
                    I bought mine on Amazon as well and haven't had any problems with it at all. Love the ease of threading the machine, the thread cutter, walking foot, needle up/down, the blanket stitch that I use a lot for applique.....
                    Only in the past year did I feel I might need a stronger machine and one with a bigger harp with space to quilt. The Brother has been great but those were my only complaints - sometimes it balked over thick seams and that I wanted a bigger harp. So, this year, I purchased a 2nd machine at a great price and I love it! The Singer S16 Studio https://www.singerstore.com/singer-s...g-machine.html It is a Wonderful machine, powerful and a large harp. Understand, it is a straight-stitch only machine. It is exactly like the more expensive Janome 1600. So, I use both of these machines to suit my needs. The Best part is that the two combined were less than $1000! There are some brand-name sewing machine snobs out there that swear those are the only machines to get, must get from a dealer, etc. I bought both of mine online and have not had any issues at all with either. My friend has a Janome and has had hers at the shop twice already this year. Get whatever You want, from wherever You want, within Your price budget! Hey, if it does the job and you are happy with it, that is all that matters!
                    I have a brother pr420 from amazon also. Lightening deal a few years ago. My girls have used it a lot and it needs cleaning. I recently bought a pfaff performance 5 for similar reasons. But I love the IDT instead of having to deal with a walking foot. I figured this is probably the last machine I will buy and I love all the fancy stitches. If I did not use those, I would buy one of the straight stitchers.

Comment

Oh also on lowering feed dogs, my old singer had a plastic disc to snap on for covering feed dogs. Back then people often just taped a credit card to cover them so they did not touch the fabric. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by RiverMomm View Post
                        Singer S-18 is a great machine but a little out of your range but it does include all the feet and accessories. The price goes up and down on Amazon. It is $725 now.
                        I see that the Singer S-18 is available used on Amazon for $499 from a seller with good reviews. Anyone have any cautionary tales to tell regarding buying a used machine?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...condition=used

Comment

Personally I wouldn't buy that machine used for 499.00 ... if you watch Amazon and Singer.com and you're patient ... you'll get that machine brand new for very close to 500 dollars. I'm also concerned about the ad ... "bed is discolored from jeans" .,, a. The user has pushed this machine beyond its capabilities or b. This machine is way more used than the seller is stating. I may be wrong, but I think these Singer clones of Janome's have only been out a couple years. I'd just hold out and get a new one.
                          Sherrie
                          Life ain’t always beautiful
                          But it’s a beautiful ride - Gary Allen

Comment

The S18 is $599.00 on www.singerstore.com brand new.
                            K is for Karen 😊​..................
                            Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                            T - is it TRUE?
                            H - is it HELPFUL?
                            I - is it INSPIRING?
                            N - is it NECESSARY?
                            K - is it KIND?

Comment

I knew you ladies would be wise and give me good advice. Thank you so much!

Comment

Working...
                              X