Well, I went and did it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I went and did it!

I went down to a LQS (actually not very local to me - a bit of a ride) and put a deposit on an embroidery machine. I'm going to get the Innov-is 3500D. I am excited and a bit nervous. I won't be picking it up until 11/12 because I am going away next weekend and I can never get down to their place before they close during the week. Plus, I will need to have my lesson time too. So November 12 it is. Looking forward to learning some new skills. My bbf in CA is so excited for me. She has two embroidery machines and has been encouraging me to get one for quite some time. She is absolutely certain I will love it.

Anybody here have that machine, or any other embroidery machine and have words of wisdom, tips from your experience, etc.?
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Re: Well, I went and did it!

How fun! Come join the embroidery group.!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Congrats! No embroidery machine here, but my Brother sewing machine is an Innov-is. My oldest sister has a Babylock embroidery machine and she runs that thing all the time. They are made in the same factory as the Brothers and are very similar. She loves here.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

Lorie, I hadn't realized there was an embroidery group. I just went and joined. Karen, I have an old Brother machine and I really like it. Right now though, it needs a new tension knob ..... which I have just need to get it all set up to the right tension etc. again.
        Ginny B

Comment

Congratulations Ginny, you won't regret your decision. I love my embroidery machine and all the things you can make with it. Best advice read your manual thoroughly.
          If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I have a Janome 500e and like it a lot. The only thing I've found is it doesn't like pre-wound bobbins. It prefers bobbins I wind on it. It might work if I played with the tension but I don't want to get into that...with pre-wounds it either breaks a lot or pulls the bobbin thread to the top and ruins the design.

Comment

Congratulations, Ginny!!! Your will love the beautiful things you can make with your emb machine.

Realize that there is a bit of a learning curve with machine emb. Read your manual thoroughly and keep it handy. You will learn a lot on the Emb Group and it's a great place to showcase your projects.

Here is my favorite place to buy embroidery thread and prewound bobbins: www.metroemb.com. Their Metro thread is great quality and costs less than $1 a spool and comes in every color imaginable.library.com.

Two of my favorite places to buy designs: www.urbanthreads.com and www.emblibrary.com.
              Last edited by Bubby; October 30, 2016, 06:44 AM.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Congratulations!! You will love it. I have a Babylock Ellageo Plus which is a combo sewing, quilting, embroidery machine. There was quite a learning curve for me but now that I have the hang of it, I love it. My favorite thing is doing "in-the-hoop" projects. Planet Applique is also a good site for buying designs. Also, check the Anita Goodesign site and see if there will be an embroidery party held at sometime close to you. These parties are 2 days and a lot of fun!!! You also learn a lot about embroidery. They also use Brother machines. Good luck and have fun!!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. Yes, I am sure that I will become good friends with my user manual and be making a lot of trips to Patchogue (a town about 40 minutes from me where I bought my machine) for lessons. Lol. I am excited and can't wait to get started
                  Ginny B

Comment

Congratulations on your new machine. You will love all the things you can do with an embroidery machine. Have fun!
                    Cindy

Comment

I didn't know there was an embroidery group either! I'll have to check it out. I just purchased my Babylock machine at the beginning of this month. I'm in the midst of a wall hanging. It's been fun so far!

I own an Brother sewing machine. There isn't much difference between my sewing machine and my embroidery only machine.

Comment

Congratulations Ginny. Something to look forward to and build some new skills.

Comment

I think you'll love it Ginny. I don't have a big embroidery machine, it only does design under 4 inches but I do love it. I go through spurts using it. I was able to design two or three "speciality" lap quilts with it and also use it for specializing purses and keyrings etc.

I didn't think it was hard to learn and I just set it up the first time using the manual step by step and had no problems. I think I did find one video on utube so I would get the idea of the steps too. I think the hardest part for me was to get the whole idea of the different kinds of stabilizers into my head. At this point I usually use the tear away medium weight ones although I've started doing a few with the water soluable ones because I'm trying some of the laces :-) I have found that I do have to clean out the bobbin area more often when I embroider. A lot of fluff gets in there, more so than regular sewing. Also make sure that you do get the needles that they suggest because it will save you some potential problems. I'm finding that I run out of embroidery needles more often then I do with regular sewing.

If you go to my albums under quilts I have I think 4 quilts I did using the embroidered squares. A cat quilt I donated for PURR, a quilt for the high school team, a quilt for a friend using designs that he would remember from his early 20's and what I think is a really adorable dog mat I did for my sister's dog. http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/album.php?albumid=3875 I think the miscellaneous section also has a few of the smaller projects using embroidery.
                          https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                          Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Congrats on your new machine. I have never particularly wanted one but I know lots of folds that just love them.

Sue

Comment

Congrats Ginny. I have a Brother PE770 embroidery machine, and love it. By main sewing machine is also a Brother Innovis 450Q. I do love my Brother machines. Same as Baby Lock without the price. I have made some really cool things with my embroidery machine. My fave thing is applique, and monogramming towels. I made all 40 of my retreat favors on my embroidery machine. You tube will also be your friend with the learning curve.
                              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X