Anyone Interested?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Interested?

I made a brief pictoral tutorial for my friend as I was unable to get out of the house. She needed help with her perriwinkle quilt and getting sharp points. It's pic heavy, so I thought I'd ask if anyone else needs some tips. Leave a comment if you'd like to see.

Re: Anyone Interested?

Sharyn - Yes, I'd love to see whatever instructional materials you have. I've tried explaining it to another quilter in an email and it's so difficult to do it. Even pointing her to the tutorial didn't work. I think picture heavy is never a waste. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Yes I would love to see the tutorial ., I know it would help me. Thank you so much!

Comment

Yes! Love to read about tricks others have!
        Happy Quilting!

Comment

Ok, I'll post it here for those interested. To be noted: I only finger press my seams. When my block is done, I press the seams flat on the wrong side and then from the right side. I do not use steam because my iron does not behave. For me, less is more. I've tried to explain to my friend, but she's a visual person so maybe this will help some of you.

You must get 1/4" seam. Put some tape on your sewing bed, use a quarter inch foot or mark your seam line until you can master the 1/4" seam. Remove your paper before joining sections together and watch for any stitches that may pull loose when removing the paper. Gently handle all your pieces, so as not to stretch any sections. Hope this helps you.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Sharyn J; October 24, 2016, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Part 2 Continued
            Attached Files

Comment

Sharyn, thanks for taking the time to photograph each step and post it. Your block it perfect. Sometimes I will take the time to baste and check seams, but I don't always. Do you do that for every block?
              Cindy

Comment

I use Carol Doak's method for basting the seams. You set your machine length to a basting stitch; sew 3-4 stitches in the join seam, stop, lift the presser foot and gently slide to the next seam, etc. You end up with only a few stitches at each join area and then you can open the sections and check for alignment. Chances are that you may only have one seam to unpick 3-4 stitches and re-do.
                If all is good to go, I set the machine length back to normal and stitch the entire seam.

It takes me less time to tack those seams and check for alignment than it does to remove the whole seam and redo. When I've had to rip the whole seam more than once, I start to stretch my fabric, so I normally tack all of the seams.

Comment

I enjoyed your tutorial...very nice of you to make it and share it.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thanks for the time doing this. I have done a couple of tutorials (Reversable kids jacket and shirring) and I know much it takes. I have all the supplies for this so I can tackle it some day.
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

It is amazing. Above my skill level, but amazin just the same
                      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                      Terry

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share this. You did an excellent job of explaining it and taking precise pictures showing exactly what to do. I hope everybody on the Forum who is thinking about doing the Periwinkle quilt sees this!!

Comment

Thanks Sharyn! This will make it so much easier ... love the pics.

Comment

Thank you so much, Sharyn, for posting these pics!
                            I purchased the papers to do the Periwinkle quilt over a year ago, but still have not been brave enough to attempt it.
                            I am saving all of your pics for future reference.
                            I'm so glad you posted this cuz I would have probably been ripping for days otherwise!

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                            The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Adding my thanks to Sharyn as well! It never occurred to me to baste joins - and while I'm sure it seems time-consuming I can really see how that step can make all the difference for precise piecing.

Comment

Working...
                              X