Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOM - book?

Good Morning,

I am looking for either a beginner type BOM or a book with different blocks that will teach me to be a better sewer and quilter. I am a fairly new quilter, barely 2 years old. So I have alot to learn, and yes I have seen (devoured) Jenny's video's. Now I am looking for a BOM that would be easy and yet challenge some one like myself.

Do any of you have a site, or a book you can recommend?

I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

PS, I have looked this morning til my eyes hurt. And besides, I need to run to Home Depot.
    There are no perfect quilts, because I am a imperfect quilter.

Sharon :icon_hi:

Re: BOM - book?

This book should do it for you. There are over 500 blocks. You can start with the very basic ones and gradually move to the more complex ones.

IMG_1787.jpg

Comment

One I used when I first started was The Magic of Quiltmaking by Margaret Rolfe. Clear instructions, and several different types of quilts to try that range from 4-patch to applique. Includes a 9 block piecing sampler that I really enjoyed making. If you have a Joanns nearby I suggest browsing their books to see if you find one that appeals to you.
      Slainte!

Liz

:icon_pcnoob:

Comment

It is not a book but it might help a lot. Craftsy has three or maybe four block of the month yearly series for free. The first one was done by a young lady [Amy ???} that explained things very well as did Kimberly Einmo last year. I did not do the others but you might like them, too.

Comment

Amy Gibson has an amazing book of blocks with easy piecing. Check out her website.
          Karen
          Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Amy Gibson 2012 Block of the Month at Craftsy is fabulous. She will teach you everything you need to know. It is free, although you do have to register and set up an account.

https://course.craftsy.com/play/50
            Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Eleanor Burns has several books with easy to follow pictures and instructions. My favorite is "Egg Money Quilts". This book is excellent for quilters that would like to learn new blocks and new techniques. Also, Lynette Jensen, has a book that I love, "Big Block Quilts".

Comment

I was going to say what Claire and Denise said... Crafsty free classes.
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                  Amy Gibson 2012 Block of the Month at Craftsy is fabulous. She will teach you everything you need to know. It is free, although you do have to register and set up an account.

https://course.craftsy.com/play/50
                  Pair that with Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting a Sampler and you can do anything! Leah Day's course uses the 2012 BOM as a base. The course costs, but it's worth every penny if you want to learn FMQ.
                  Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all! :icon_wave:

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

Comment

Hello again pHarris! Where have you been and welcome back!!!

Comment

The Craftsy instructor Claire Hallman is speaking of is Amy Gibson. She has a 4 part beginner's quilt series as well as BOM which are free. I've found her to be a good instructor-easy to follow classes and tutorials. Kimberly Einmo is another instructor on Craftsy who I feel is worth looking into.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I so greatly appreciate your input.

I will do some googling of your suggestions. Looking forward to a fun adventure.
                        There are no perfect quilts, because I am a imperfect quilter.

Sharon :icon_hi:

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                          Hello again pHarris! Where have you been and welcome back!!!
                          Howdy JJ! I just been sewin'. Drifted away from the forum for awhile (I thought I knew everything, I guess). HAH!

Also, this guy's been keeping me REALLY busy:

13466126_1614160232232077_7021526386011070481_n.jpg 946754_1296954636987197_8298396079209654134_n.jpg

His name is Rocky, adopting him is the greatest thing I've done in a long, long time. Support your local shelter, and remember, big black dogs need love too!!!

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by pharris123 View Post
                            Howdy JJ! I just been sewin'. Drifted away from the forum for awhile (I thought I knew everything, I guess). HAH!

Also, this guy's been keeping me REALLY busy:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]136561[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]136562[/ATTACH]

His name is Rocky, adopting him is the greatest thing I've done in a long, long time. Support your local shelter, and remember, big black dogs need love too!!!
                            Well isn't he dapper and handsome!
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

sorry I hijacked the thread! Will post something in General soon. Wheee!

Comment

Working...
                              X