Do I need a Tiara?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need a Tiara?

I found a used Babylock Tiara on craigslist. She is asking $3295 price neg. I already have a Bernina 830 with BSR I use for FMQ however I wonder if a Tiara would make FMQ on larger quilts easier for me. I have many tops completed but have only finished a couple when I wanted to give gifts- baby quilts and lap quilts so far. Would a sit down long arm be worth it- I have room for stand up frame but not willing to dedicate the space needed. What do you think?

Re: Do I need a Tiara?

I started my quilting "career" with a John Flynn quilt set up. Like a Tiara, you move the quilt. I could not get the hang of it. I upgraded to a Little Gracie frame with a Juki. If you're already FMQ-ing on your Bernina, a Tiara should work for you. It's all a matter of whether you think you'll like moving the quilt instead of the machine.

Keep us posted!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

I have been yearning for a Tiara! I machine quilt on my domestic but just want a larger harp space. I thought since I am already used to moving my quilt around it would be ok. Additionally there may be a time when I don't want to spend all that time on my feet a long arm might require. I'll be watching the post to see what others have to say.

Comment

There are several forum members who have a Tiara and love them. Hopefully they will see this post and respond to it.

I just read the specs for both the Bernina 830 and the Tiara. Bernina has 12" to the right of the needle and Tiara has 16". You would only be gaining 4" and you already have a stitch regulator on the Bernina. But, I believe the Tiara comes with a table where the Tiara is set down into it and will make pushing the quilt around easier and less drag. I have quilted a queen size quilt (90" X 108") on my Babylock Espire which has a 7" throat space so you should be able to quilt a queen or king on your Bernina.

When I bought my Babylock Crown Jewell II, I test drove a Tiara. I did not care for the stitch regulator. I thought it was awkward. I also don't like making large quilt sandwiches. High blood pressure and bad knees and only the floor for putting it together was a painful process for me. So that's what really sold me on the Crown Jewel instead of the Tiara.

All that said, Babylocks are wonderful machines.
        Vonnie

Comment

I have a Tiara, and I really enjoy it. It does sit in the table and I have done queen and knig size quilts. For those, I do put a bar stool on either side of the table to be sure I am not putting drag on the needle. The one thing I do not like is the placement of the bobbin - you have to either feel blindly or stand on your head to put it in. Price wise, I don't know how old the machine you are looking at is, but I didn't pay much more for mine new. But, it was deeply discounted due to a special at my local store. I really do love it, much better than struggling with my domestic.

Comment

I'm very pleased with my Baby Lock Tiara II LA table model. I prefer to sit down. Plus I didn't have space for a larger machine. This is so much easier to use & more comfortable than FMQ on my DSM. If you've been FMQ on your domestic, you really don't need a stitch regulator. I did not buy it because I already was comfortable with FMQ. The bobbin under the table took some getting used to, but I'm comfortable with it now. I use an office chair. When it's time to change the bobbin, I lower the chair to the lowest position, use a flash light to see to clean out the fuzz & change the bobbin. I use the brush that's provided as well as a smaller brush I had already + my pipe cleaners. The bobbin area needs to be cleaned with every bobbin change. I oil it every other bobbin change or if I haven't sewn for a few days. I love that 16" harp space & all the table surface. I wax the table surface with Turtle Wax (paste) every 2nd or 3rd quilt. I use the same wax on my Sew Steady Extension Table. My Tiara was a floor model at my LSQ, so I got it for a reduced price. See my Sewing Room album for pics.

Comment

thanks everyone for your input. I think I need to try it out before making a decision. I'm getting ready to retire and I'm looking forward to having time to dedicate to the art of quilting.

Comment

Ok... when I first read the title of the thread I thought, TIARA ON MY HEAD TIARA.... LOL
                Anyway - I say if you can swing it, and have the space, and there is room for negotiation..... um. yep.

Comment

I have the Tiara II and really love it. I do have two folding tables from Lowe's that I set up on either side and have been able to quilt a king size quilt with no problem. Mine was a floor model that my LQS sold at a great price when the III came out. I did get the stitch regulator with it but only use it if I am doing ruler work. I also have a small flashlight that I use to clean out the bobbin area and oil. So far I haven't had any trouble with tension issues. Give it a try.
                  Ann

Comment

Working...
                  X