• Show
Clear All

Make a Whimsical Shoofly Quilt with Jenny! New Tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAVu2YOmnnU

Enjoy
    sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Re: Make a Whimsical Shoofly Quilt with Jenny! New Tutorial

Thanks Annika! Love that you always do this!
    ~Kathy~

Comment

Originally posted by bkthomas View Post
      Thanks Annika! Love that you always do this!
      You are welcome!

I want to keep my fellow addicts happy! ;-)
      sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
      A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
      And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

Beautiful quilt! So many possibilities!

The only thing I would do differently - I would make half-square triangles instead of snowballing those corners.

I have a pastry roll that would be neat for this. I believe it's called Farmer's Market.
        Vonnie

Comment

Vonnie, I just watched the video and read the comments from the other viewers and someone else made a similiar comment. So I was wondering, how big would the print squares need to be to make the HSTs? I know you would need two of them to make a total of four HSTs, so I would think that what you have left over from the print fabric would be smaller than the 5 inch square, plus a narrow strip.

I may be over thinking this, but wouldn't it be nicer to have what amounted to a charm pack left over than a stack of smaller squares. Not to mention you would need to buy yardage for the HSTs instead of using a jelly roll strip?

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
            Vonnie, I just watched the video and read the comments from the other viewers and someone else made a similiar comment. So I was wondering, how big would the print squares need to be to make the HSTs? I know you would need two of them to make a total of four HSTs, so I would think that what you have left over from the print fabric would be smaller than the 5 inch square, plus a narrow strip.

I may be over thinking this, but wouldn't it be nicer to have what amounted to a charm pack left over than a stack of smaller squares. Not to mention you would need to buy yardage for the HSTs instead of using a jelly roll strip?
            Please disregard the part about jelly rolls (not enough coffee), after rewatching the video I realized my mistake there.

Comment

Thanks, Annika! Another adorable quilt. Not crazy about the gray linen, but sure looks like an easy block to put together.
              A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
                So I was wondering, how big would the print squares need to be to make the HSTs? I know you would need two of them to make a total of four HSTs, so I would think that what you have left over from the print fabric would be smaller than the 5 inch square, plus a narrow strip.
                Carolyn, you could start with the 5" square Jenny used and make 4 HST at a time and then trim down to 2.5". You would have a little waste from the trimming, but overall, I think it would be quicker than all those snowballs. You would still have the 5" that she put to the side for another project.

I think it would make a cute border design.
                Cindy

Comment

Originally posted by seaturtle View Post
                  Carolyn, you could start with the 5" square Jenny used and make 4 HST at a time and then trim down to 2.5". You would have a little waste from the trimming, but overall, I think it would be quicker than all those snowballs. You would still have the 5" that she put to the side for another project.

Thanks Seaturtle, that makes sense. I can see several reasons to do it this way now.
                  1. Not wasting any additional fabric
                  2. Even if your initial 5" cuts are a little off , it's Ok, 'cause you will have some forgiveness when you trim down the smaller squares. And the finished squares will be more uniformed in size and shape.
                  3. Probably not actually going to do any more (or less) cutting or sewing than if I snowballed instead.
                  4. And an added bonus, since the corner hst squares (is that even a proper term?) would end up being on a bias instead of straight of grain, it would be easier to lineup the seams when connecting the finished blocks

Now I just have to remember to not go crazy cutting 2 1/2 inch strips out of all the background fabric...must remember to cut some @ 5"

Comment

Originally posted by seaturtle View Post

I don't think it would be faster really, not for me. It would be more of a matter of preference. Same amount of sewing, and cutting... a bit less waste is all.

It's a quick block... nice for when you want something fast. I just would have to find other fabrics... glad she showed the white. I like white in my quilts.

Comment

Wouldn't you lose your points with HSTs?

Comment

Originally posted by SisterDi View Post
                        Wouldn't you lose your points with HSTs?
                        I have made several quilts using the shoe fly pattern and using half square triangles for the corners. I have never snowballed them before for this block. http://www.quilterscache.com/S/ShooFlyBlock_Page2.html
                        Vonnie

Comment

Working...
                        X