quilt sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quilt sizes

I love making quilts from kits. I know that is not very creative but I am color/shade blind so picking out the material is quite a challenge for me.
    Anyway-why are most of the kits the quilt shops sell or display are made in Lap size only. I like make a bigger size and usually they don't have all of the material required to make the larger size quilts. I am making a JayBird quilt currently and they had only 3 of the additional materials that were in the quilt. I could have purchased 2 or 3 quilts but that ended up to be really expensive. Would it have been more than purchasing the material seperately-I am not so sure.
    Just curious.
    Claudia

Re: quilt sizes

Claudia - it would be less expensive if you can find fabric(s) that are the same or similar to kit fabrics that are on clearance. Of course, You will have to figure how much you will exactly need when increasing the quilt size!
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

It's so hard to figure out what the standard quilt sizes even are. Sometimes I notice that what I think of as a large lap quilt others see as a twin. I rarely see doubles listed and sometimes queens are measured differently. I notice this even more so when I look at bedding catelogs, even within the same catelog. It gets frustrating. I sold a quilt I listed as a large lap that when they measured it said it would fit perfectly on their daughters twin bed. This one would have laid over the top and then down the sides probably to the bottom of the mattress (not the bottom of the box spring). Makes me wonder if instead of asking what the standard sizes for twin, double, queen, king are if we shouldn't be asking what is the smallest measurments for twin, double, queen and king.
      https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

What's worse than that, is seeing a gorgeous quilt pattern sold only as a kit, and no option to buy the pattern alone.
        I do not want to put all that time and effort into a quilt that will - if sucessful - be a copy of another quilt!
        Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I like the panels and I bough some kits, and as they come with fabrics from the collection to rear I used it to make a bigger quilt, and back have put some smooth fabric of a suitable color and I have got some work beautiful

Comment

If the reason for buying the kits is because of matching color/shade fabrics, perhaps you can find fat quarter bundles. or even precuts on sale that will be enough fabric to make your desired quilt.

Comment

Working...
            X