Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paying extra

Hi to all you wonderful quilters.
    I live in Eastern Canada. I like some of the Daily Deals and I am often tempted to buy.
    Canadian quilters...when you order from Missouri*, do you pay extra for customs?
    I would pay by Visa.
    Hope you can provide some information. I would really like to order some fabric.
    Thank you.

Re: paying extra

I live in Quebec and have never been charged for customs on anything. Having said that, watch if they don't charge me next time. I don't believe it has anything to do with the type of payment you use either. I use paypal.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

[QUOTE=Monique;913686]I live in Quebec and have never been charged for customs on anything. Having said that, watch if they don't charge me next time. I don't believe it has anything to do with the type of payment you use either. I use paypal.[/QUO

Thank you.
      If I pay by Visa, I am wondering if they charge extra to allow for Canadian/U.S. currency difference? Are your orders in Canadian dollars ?

Comment

I am in Ontario. First off, your payment method has no bearing on whether you get nailed at the border. It seems to be the luck of the draw with the border. On my M* orders I have not paid duty/taxes, but on lots of other things coming from the US I have.

Comment

Hi I live in Ontario. No, the payments are in US dollars no matter how you pay. I usually have my things shipped to a cross border mail service that I subscribe to so customs is not a problem (I declare when I come back across into Canada) as far as costs but I have had things shipped to my home and duty/customs has never been a problem. Like Monique, I use paypal but your method of payment does not impact the customs/duties. I also don't spend 100"s of dollars on a single order so the total value may impact on when they charge duty/customs.
          Hope that helps.
          Grandma Nan

sigpic

Nancy

"Some of the best memories are created in flip flops"

Comment

I always feel so lucky to be in the US when I hear the problems you all have getting fabric. I've never been to Canada, but my husband has and he says it is absolutely wonderful.
            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
            Terry

Comment

Canadians, count yourselves lucky! I live in New Zealand & to get anything shipped to this corner of the world costs almost as much as the thing you want to buy. Factor in the exchange rate & it's even worse.

As to customs' taxes, here they can charge tax on any shipment valued over NZ$400. This includes the cost of the item & shipping (they don't count the shipping amount separately).

I haven't done an M* order in over a year

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
                I always feel so lucky to be in the US when I hear the problems you all have getting fabric. I've never been to Canada, but my husband has and he says it is absolutely wonderful.
                It is indeed beautiful.
                Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Originally posted by RenC View Post
                  Canadians, count yourselves lucky! I live in New Zealand & to get anything shipped to this corner of the world costs almost as much as the thing you want to buy. Factor in the exchange rate & it's even worse.

As to customs' taxes, here they can charge tax on any shipment valued over NZ$400. This includes the cost of the item & shipping (they don't count the shipping amount separately).

I haven't done an M* order in over a year
                  I bought one meter of fabric from NZ four years ago, and ended up paying a ridiculous amount of money for it. I had no choice, we just don't have All Blacks fabric here, or we didn't in 2012.

It did end up pretty cool, though. One of the figures on the fabric looks just like my nephew. It's almost scary!

/derail
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RenC View Post
                    Same here in Australia.....sigh

Comment

I have never bought anything from the US but have heard that any orders over £18 are subject to import tax. I always admire the DD but can't bring myself to pay so much for postage charges!!

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I am going to take a chance. Next month, I am going to place an order. I will let you know how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by SisterDi View Post
                          I bought one meter of fabric from NZ four years ago, and ended up paying a ridiculous amount of money for it. I had no choice, we just don't have All Blacks fabric here, or we didn't in 2012.

It did end up pretty cool, though. One of the figures on the fabric looks just like my nephew. It's almost scary!

/derail
                          Wow! That is really cool for your nephew!

Comment

Working...
                          X