4,500 Bolts....How Do You Decide.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4,500 Bolts....How Do You Decide.....

Okay.....please tell me how you'll decide what fabrics to buy when you don't have a particular project in mind. Today I was standing in a store that has 4,500 bolts of fabric.....all of it top quality and very pretty. I was hoping they would have FQ bundles of some of their lines but they only had a few Christmas ones. It was pretty to look at but overwhelming and pricey....most $11.49 per yard. I would love to to buy some but had trouble deciding....and I'm not planning to spend a fortune. So how do you decide on a few pieces....when I would need an 18 wheeler to haul what I wanted.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Re: 4,500 Bolts....How Do You Decide.....

Sounds like standing in the grocery store and deciding what to make for dinner. I for sure don't need children's fabric, I don't need stripes or polka dots. So process of elimination? Sounds fun!
    "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

Here is my serious answer for buying fabric you have no specific plan for

1. Never ever pay $11.49 a yard. No exceptions. My personal rule is never pay more than $9 yard for Kaffee Fassett, never more than $ 7 yard for my favorite name designers (like Jinny Beyer and Tula Pink) never pay more than $6 yard for batiks. They go on sale constantly.
      2. Know your existing stash and buy to fill in the gaps. Most stashes are filled with medium value jewel tones. Concentrate on buying very lights and very darks. Tone on tone blacks are hard to find on sale and when I find them I buy 4-6 yards.
      3. A one yard cut is usually sufficient. It is better to have six one yards cuts than one six yard cut.
      4. Have a budget and stick to it Sure right
      Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I agree with Denise. $11 is just too much to pay. Go to the sale rack. See if theres anything there that just makes your heart sing. If not , and you just want to buy something, pick out a couple and buy a 1/2 yard. Maybe you'll find something to go with it next time. I really like fat quarters because I can get a few and add a few and eventually, I say, you know, this would look good together. But I only buy them at $1.50 each. $1 is better. When they are $1, I buy more than I need but only colors I really like. I buy the DD when it is a really good deal but usually I'm happier with free shipping days and a free charm pack if I spend x amount of $. That adds significantly to my stash for a good price.
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

[QUOTE=DeniseSm;913454]Here is my serious answer for buying fabric you have no specific plan for

1. Never ever pay $11.49 a yard. No exceptions. My personal rule is never pay more than $9 yard for Kaffee Fassett, never more than $ 7 yard for my favorite name designers (like Jinny Beyer and Tula Pink) never pay more than $6 yard for batiks. They go on sale constantly.

I never spent more than $9 a yard! Sorry, I shop at Joann's for Kona cottons.
          Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Comment

Just go to M* and visit all of their shops!!! Lots of shiny things will call your name!
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I thought we were going to see your stash! Hahaha!

Must remember never to click on an enabler topic....

Comment

I was just there. I stopped in a quilt shop on our way home from a trip, that had a lovely display of bolts, and many FQ's folded in triangles tucked into a shelf seperating the upper and lower shelves of bolts. Nothing really grabbed me, but they also had many finished projects hanging with the patterns for them tucked inside. I ended up buying a pattern for a changable purse called "Versatile wave" http://www.susanrooneypatterns.com/S...tile_Wave.html and another for a pillow, in a book called "Blossom Lane" https://www.needllove.com/ProductDet...tCode=QK-Bloom
                These will be used for Christmas gifts, made from my stash.
                So, that's how I suported a nicely stocked LQS without buying any fabric.
                Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Ohh PrettyCurious I love the pillow! Please post a picture of it when you make it.

Comment

Simple answer? I never buy fabric unless I already have a plan for it. And I NEVER pay that much for it.

Comment

I guess I'm the spendy one here. I'm a pretty ecletic buyer and buy what strikes me as awesome. Yes, I have a huge stash but I'm also a weekend quilter/sewer and love being able to shop my stash to complete projects. I mostly just buy primary fabrics at Quilt Festival. Other than that, I buy fill in's at my LQS or online. I pay $10+ if I like the fabric and it has a good hand. I figure I'll buy as long as I have money and when I don't, I'll have plenty on hand to use
                      Patrice S

Comment

I try to only buy for projects but if I find a fabric I love, that I'd like to build a quilt around, I will maybe buy 3 yards. That will give me fabric for a border and piecing some of the blocks. I used to buy fat quarters but I tend to buy 1/2 yard cuts more now. Again if a find a line I love I will buy a few 1/2 yd cuts and build from there.

Comment

First of all let me say....it would have been more fun shopping with you ladies. . Of course we would have been a bad influence on each other.

Thank you, Denise for talking me down....off the fabric ledge! . I never spend that much on fabric either. You reminded me that I was I hoping to find light fabric with lettering but I didn't see any of those.
                          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
                            I agree with Denise. $11 is just too much to pay. Go to the sale rack. See if theres anything there that just makes your heart sing. If not , and you just want to buy something, pick out a couple and buy a 1/2 yard. Maybe you'll find something to go with it next time. I really like fat quarters because I can get a few and add a few and eventually, I say, you know, this would look good together. But I only buy them at $1.50 each. $1 is better. When they are $1, I buy more than I need but only colors I really like. I buy the DD when it is a really good deal but usually I'm happier with free shipping days and a free charm pack if I spend x amount of $. That adds significantly to my stash for a good price.
                            Terry.....my heart was singing over sooooo many pretty fabrics but more like screeching at the prices. . I checked for a clearance area but didn't see one. They've only been open a few months. I'm a bargain hunter. I can find good quality fabrics at estate sales or sales online. I also try to work with my stash and add the fabrics I'm lacking.

I hope all of you, my forum friends.....wont' take away my official "quilter's card" if I don't buy any fabric at that store. I don't won't to bring shame to the quilting community by showing restraint when shopping. I'm hanging my head in shame.......

I'm hoping to go to the Houston quilt show.....I would rather spend the money there!

Comment

I only buy something I can't live without at those prices. You know when it is perfectly wonderful and calls your name. Then I only buy about a yard or two.

Comment

Working...
                              X