Informal poll/query about creativity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Informal poll/query about creativity

You compete with rules, but how can you win if you don't break some of the rules

Originally posted by klgls View Post
    I tend to not deviate from a pattern as I don't trust my own creativity. I also (most of the time) play by the rules. I think that is just my personality - I'm very competitive so if you don't play by the rules - how can we compete (just my way of thinking and my makeup). Honestly though, I sometimes do venture to wild side and have enjoyed the process. Good discussion.
    Preeti
    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

I need a jumping off point. If I was brilliant at creating original designs I would not hesitate to call myself creative. I would also be selling patterns. hahaha

Fabric is expensive and time is precious. I don't do much experimenting because of that fact. I usually follow patterns, but I never make a quilt with the same fabrics used by the pattern designer. To me, that would definitely be boring since I already know what to expect when the quilt is completed.

I also have enough experience that I can replicate, without a pattern, certain quilts I see online, in books, in ads, etc. Sometimes I combine quilts I see. I definitely have no problem changing a pattern to suit me. For example, I just made a new wall hanging for my family room. The pattern called for a pieced border. I really liked her choice, but I was afraid I'd end up with a wavy border. I abandoned the designer's choice and put two standard borders on my quilt. I'm happy with it and I probably saved myself some hassle.

I really do wonder how many people in our world can truly say they are "creative." Merriam-Webster defines creative as follows:

1: having or showing an ability to make new things or think of new ideas
      2: using the ability to make or think of new things : involving the process by which new ideas, stories, etc., are created
      3: done in an unusual and often dishonest way

Does number one mean we quilters are creative or just creators? We have the ability to make new things so I think we classify as creative. What do you think?
      Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; October 11th, 2016, 01:52 PM.
      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Originally posted by snippet View Post
        I love seeing a pattern done in different colorways. My sister, my friend and I do this a lot and it's so cool to see. Fabric really changes the pattern. I don't think I've ever made a quilt (or wanted to) exactly like a pictured quilt. I always change the fabric.

I usually make a quilt using the directions without too many changes. I will make my HSTs or Flying Geese in a different way, but the block will look the same. So to me that isn't changing the pattern. It's not creative either, it's more construction efficiency.

And sometimes, I'll make the quilt (or quilt block) in a different size. Mostly I do it because I have a precut I want to use, or I need the quilt to be a different size. But that's not creative to me, it's just resizing.

I'm not creative enough to create a quilt out of my brain. I've seen some of other forum members who have made some great unique quilts and it jut amazes me. I'm thinking of the Iron Quilter Challenge especially.

I do enjoy looking at a quilt and breaking it down into blocks and reverse engineering it to a pattern and cutting directions. That's really fun.
        See, I think that's a whole lot more creativity than you think. Every specific thing you do adds a personal touch, takes away any static copying. It does make it uniquely your own creation and give it a flow nobody else could give it.

I think partly I was reliving a conversation with a friend. One who has a creative nature but is so afraid to go with the flow of it, and nothing is "right" if it didn't turn out the way it's "supposed" to. Sometimes we just haven't had that moment yet, that "aha" moment. It's a journey. I think I'm a little stuck with that in some of my knitting - of course there a creative mistake could just unravel right down to the cast on row, lol!

Comment

No matter what you do to a quilt top, each is its own journey, and turns out the way it was meant to. Don't fight it. Go with the flow.

Comment

I am in awe of some of the originals I see on this forum.
            I see a gob of patterns on the internet, and have never quite figured out how they make money. Usually I can look at it and know how to "build" the block. The amounts of fabric listed in those patterns are worthless because there are always cutting errors where the ruler slips or you accidentally put it on the wrong line. And with the stash sizes I have heard about, if you buy just enough fabric, by the time you get to it, it is discontinued, so you have to sacrifice something on/in your quilt.
            Pinterest has spoiled a bit of my creativity and I want to copy so much what is out there in my own fabrics. If any of you have designed your own quilt as you sewed, there is math. I tend to avoid math with triangles, so if I keep all my strips one size the math goes away.
            If I could travel back in time, think of all those creative juices, when life was slower, and everything was cut out using scissors or a cardboard template. And there were not a lot of pictures to look at and a few books.
            I think this is why quilting is so popular right now, because everything is so streamlined and layed out for the individual to craft it without really having to put the creative juices into it.
            Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

If I could travel back in time, think of all those creative juices, when life was slower, and everything was cut out using scissors or a cardboard template. And there were not a lot of pictures to look at and a few books.
              Yep. Although I know how its done now, I still prefer doing most of mine the old way. I LIKE my scissors. They are mannerly and don't try to eat my fingers.

Comment

When I was young I tried to make my own and my childrens clothing. I would buy a pattern (they used to be priced reasonable) and as I practiced, I noticed that if I picked out a pattern I was doing it by the picture. If I chose other fabrics, it just wasn't the same, so I started buying fabric that looked like the picture. The clothes looked better. However, as I started quilting it was a matter of necessity. We needed blankets and we didn't have any money. I used fabric I had, scissors, cardboard cutouts and an old quilt book that someone loaned me. I created then. And sometimes, I was so pleased with my results, I fantasized that I was really good at this craft. I tried over and over and never made the same quilt twice. I made quilts for gifts and quilts for use but always from leftover fabric and scraps. When my second daughter graduated from College I asked her what she wanted and she said, "a microwave". I didn't think that was a good gift so I set about planning a quilt for her. It was the first time I ever went to a fabric store and picked out fabric for a quilt. I chose her favorite colors and I made a wonderful queensize quilt of navy and red fabrics and I hand quilted it and wrote a poem to go with it. The day I gave it to her, I knew she was disappointed that she didn't get a microwave, but a month later she phoned and cried, "how did you know",...."I was feeling so homesick and I wrapped up in the quilt and I felt like you were here"....by the way, she got a job and was able to get her own microwave. (lol)
                After that, I continued to make quilts from leftover scraps and fabrics that I would find at flea markets etc. Only in the last two years have I splurged and bought fabric especially for quilting. I'm still pretty frugal and most of my quilts end up made from scraps and left overs and this will force you to be creative.

Comment

I break the rules as well and love scrappy quilts because you never know before hand what they are going to look like at the end. I am also able to reconstruct a block or pattern seen from a pic, but most of the time I would customize it (size, color scheme, block layout) and never copy the same quilt I've seen.

Comment

Working...
                  X