houston show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

houston show

I attending the Houston Quilt show for the first and most probably the last time. I am a new quilter so am sure the classes are way above my pay grade and not really interested in them at this time.
    For those of you that have been-any ideas, suggestions, or hints of what I should see or do. I am sure comfortable walking shoes are a must. Is is cold in the facility, show I take a big bag to hold my purchases in if I make any, just anything will be most welcome.
    Thank you.

Re: houston show

Comfy shoes, cash or card w/$$ available on it, shopping bag! Oh and your phone/camera to take pictures! At the SewExpo here, they normally hand out shopping bags at the door from the sponsor of the show, but they may not do that there. I have a large purse I have made and I normally just use that.....it's LARGE!!! Don't forget something to drink as well.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Rather than purse, a backpack so your hands are free and you can place purchases inside.You may want to have a few "energy/granola bars with you) Are you driving or with a group traveling by bus? Why you ask? Last year the downtown road construction was, well, road construction!

Comment

Wish I was going to with you.

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by mamo69 View Post
          Rather than purse, a backpack so your hands are free and you can place purchases inside.You may want to have a few "energy/granola bars with you) Are you driving or with a group traveling by bus? Why you ask? Last year the downtown road construction was, well, road construction!
          M sister lives in Kingwood and has 3 cars so I will be driving one to the show.

Comment

Originally posted by mamo69 View Post
            My sister lives in Kingwood and has 3 cars so I will be driving myself to the show.

Comment

If you have something in mind to look for make a list. The first big show I went to was close which was a very good thing. I was so overwhelmed the first day I did not get anything I wanted. Thought about what I overlooked and went back the next day with a plan. Have fun. Wish I was going

Comment

Definitely comfy shoes, water, etc. You may even want to bring a lite lunch, because the lines for food get lengthy if you go at prime time. If you're going on Thursday or Friday, be prepared to pay top price for parking nearby. Make a list if you're looking for something special. Pace yourself. It's easy to get overwhelmed. I like the backpack suggestion.

Comment

Several years ago, Jenny did a trunk show at a quilt shop (Babylock dealer) in the Kingwood/Humble area the week of the Houston International Show
                  Happy Quilting!

Comment

Lots of great info. I'm going too, and am fortunate to be going with my SIL (who lives in Houston) and niece. Both have been many times and will surely have some good advice as well. This is my first quilt show so I'm really really excited.

Comment

Make up a list of what you would like to have.

Sometimes they sell a directory. Last show I went to the directory had coupons for the vendors. So the coupons more than paid for the directory.

I agree about the lines for food. Just bring some easy snacks and they should have vending machines around to purchase bottled drinks. Be aware, there may be areas where no food is allowed. And if they hand out gloves, take a pair just in case you want to "touch" a quilt.

And don't stress, just have fun.

Also, ask before taking pictures, especially at the vendors booths.
                      Vonnie

Comment

Look at the floor plan online and get an idea of where the vendors/quilts are generally located. When you get there, go to the Handi Quilter booth first - they give away nice sized, colorful shopping bags! We do the vendors the first day, and the quilts the second day. And as mentioned above, the road work around the center last year was horrific! Go early, if possible, and be prepared to pay a lot for parking. You can buy your tickets online ahead of time. That saves time, too. Have fun!

Comment

Looks like construction is complete. (at least in the immediate area).
                          https://app.oxblue.com/open/HoustonF...nventionCenter

Comment

They will give you a directory. The show is divided into three pieces - the actual quilt show, the vendors, the food. There are some free mini sessions/demos/talks that might interest you. Last year Craftsy had demos all day on a variety of subjects. And in the show hall, some of the quilt designers had Q&A sessions, and other talks. So check out those in the directory and note the time and location. Bring a highlighter to highlight the demos to see as well as highlight vendors you want to go back to. The vendors are full of great things - from fabrics, patterns, machines, tools, jewelry, clothing - gosh most anything! There are some great deals to be had. Some of the larger vendors will most likely give away big shopping bags which are really handy.

The third part of the show is the food. One year it was an entire hall of the convention center, last year it was a huge part of another floor. There are a lot of different food choices, some local places, some chains. Everything I've eaten there was good. There are LOTS of table and chairs there too, so you can relax and eat and rest those feet.

There are chairs along the halls too. It is a lot of walking but it's worth it! Enjoy!

Comment

I went a few years ago and hope to go this year but not sure yet.

We brought a small backpack and it worked great....no purse hanging on your shoulders. I would get the Handiquilter bag that was mentioned......free and lightweight. Buy tickets on line ahead of time. Ticket lines were long when we went. We walked right in because we got our tickets online. Thursday is the least crowed day. Go two days if you can. You can't see everything in one day. I like the idea of making a list of what you hope to buy because it is overwhelming.

Have fun!
                              "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                              Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Working...
                              X