Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it matter if you use 2 different machines???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it matter if you use 2 different machines???

I took a class and made a beautiful 9 inch block. Came home made a second block but it measured 8 1/2 inches. Darn---
    Made another and it also came in at 8 1/2. Arrgg!!!!!
    Light bulb came on. I take one machine (Kenmore with a 1/4 inch foot with guide) to classes
    Home I am using Bernina and that foot measures 1/4
    Could this issue be the 2 machines with different 1/4 inch feet

I am NOT one to "count" threads and no I haven't set up the Kenmore (just thought of this possibility)

Re: Does it matter if you use 2 different machines???

I have heard that this could happen when you use different machines. I can't do a consistent 1/4 inch seam on one machine, much less 2 different machines.

Comment

Measure your seams, one of the machines 1/4" foot is off. You might have to move your needle over to adjust it.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

It does make a difference. I would do as Karen suggests. Jenny says to always use the same machine when piecing...I guess for this reason.
        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
        sigpic

Comment

Use one of these to get the same 1/4 inch seam on all machines.

https://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Quiltin...ine+seam+guide

https://www.amazon.com/Perkins-Dry-G...ine+seam+guide

Comment

I use Bonnie Hunter's method: http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2016/...l-day-sew.html

By measuring a test unit, you can get it right where you need it. I usually use 2" squares--when sewn together the two-patch should measure 3.5" wide--if not, move the guide until it does.
            Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

Those suggestions all makre since.
              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
              Terry

Comment

Thanks to all. I can not move my needle on the Kenmore but can on the other. To be honest, the smaller block looks good but, the larger would mean making less blocks!
                I am making Anita's Arrowhead (or less just say attempting)

Comment

Sounds good in theory, but . . . . I use two or more machines at a time. My FW is set up for a 1/4 stitch using Nova's FW seam guide. Once I lock that in, I leave it alone. If I also have HST,s I set up another guide on another machine for those. Again, I dial it in and leave it set up like that. Then I always use my Viking for quilting and binding. I do use test pieces to make sure I am getting what I want before sewing the actual fabric, though.
                  Here's why. I found that changing the seam guide from straight 1/4 for simple piecing, to the HST's that I sew on the bias, and back was causing my pieces to be inconsistant. Consistancy is key, moreso than the coveted [and often bragged about] 1/4 stitch. I get that consistancy with 3 different machines.
                  There, I said it
                  * holds head down, and extends hands with wrists together *
                  Quilt police, come and get me.
                  Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I always piece an entire quilt on the same machine, whichever machine that is.

Comment

I always start and finish on the same machine.
                      "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                      Hillary Clinton

Comment

I sometimes switch between my machines - my Singer Featherweight and my Janome 6600P. I adjust the Janome (I can move the needle position) so the 1/4" seam matches the Featherweight (can't move the needle position on it). Don't have a problem then with different sized seams.
                        ***Kathy***

Comment

Yes. I did some blocks on my pfaff. One with the IDT down and another with it up. They came out different! But both seams measured 1/4" when we checked. Weird.

Comment

Yes. We assume our 1/4 inch foot and needle are set accurately. Unless we test them we can not be positive. A 1-4 inch is a 1-4 inch just our settings at different

Comment

Hi, I haven't posted for a while, but I feel your pain.

My first quilt project I started in a class at a local quilt shop. I used their Bernina machine. I got one panel of 9 blocks done on their machine. I went home and did another panel of 9 blocks on my old machine, a 1960's Singer clone called a Capitol (it weighs somewhere around two tons, but is supposed to be a portable). I was down in Versailles MO where there is a great Sewing Machine Dealer who sells new Bernina's. I couldn't afford the new Bernina's, but he had a used Pfaff that he sold me with a year warranty on parts and labor and showed me how to use it. I took it home and did the third panel of 9 blocks and then was back in Versailles and found a Jenome I loved and it had many features that the Pfaff didn't have. I traded the Pfaff in and went home and made the 4th panel of nine blocks. So I have now used four different machines to make four panels for one quilt. I used 1/4" feet on all the machines.

The moral of this story is all 1/4" feet are not equal. I had four panels that were four different panels that were four different sizes. Being a novice (and totally green) I bought more fabric and did three more panels on the Janome so they matched.

Honestly some of it may have been my inexperience showing in that I may have been inconsistent on the 1/4" seam, but I also believe it makes a difference, in that when I made the three additional panels on the Janome they were the same size as the first panel I did on the Janome.

I ripped some of the different sized panels up to make pillow shams and throw pillows for my bed, so I didn't end up with a huge amount of panels left unused, but it made me realize consistency and using the same machine on the project is a great idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X