Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do if you can't figure out what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.... You come over and ask your friends at M*QC forum!

I purchased French Roosters when it was on clearance at Craftsy to make my mom some Dresden placemats. I want to make the mats reversible. I can not figure out how I want to make them. Part of me feels like they should be similar, the other part of me thinks they should be identical.

Anyway.... These are some of the different designs I've come up with. No matter what I go with, the mat will be circular so don't pay attention to the square mats. On one side of all four mats there'll be that rooster, and then on the reverse side of all four there will be chickens. I will be binding this with the chicken wire fabric, and I have one yard of that available.

Anything else that I haven't thought of?

1) This would be the front on the left, and back on the right. I know my mom likes the scrappy look of the double Dresden on the left. I have enough fabric to make the 9 patches identical.
    dresden.jpg

2) This is another option for the front on the left, and back on the right. I only have enough fabric on the right to make two placemats the same, but will have the same colors available in different print to have the other two identical.
    dresden2.jpg

3) This one would be one side of the mat. I would just need to decide if I wanted to make a chicken wire Dresden, or go with the circle.
    dresden3.jpg

4) This would be the reverse side to the mat in #3. Same thing as #2.... 2 would be identical, other two in same colorway.
    dresden4.jpg

And please let me know if I need to clarify anything!

Thanks for any input!
    Last edited by Kimber4444; October 5, 2016, 02:32 PM.

Re: What do you do if you can't figure out what to do?

I like all your options!!! (i know no help).. but for me the more chance to be creative is always the best.. think of the conversations of people eating together and comparing their placemats)))
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

If it were me, I wouldn't go to all that work for 2 sides. I do just one side, then have plain backing on the reverse side. I like the Dresden in #1 the best, but I'd prefer a plain fabric for the circle in the middle. I'm wondering how well dishes will balance with all that bulk for a 2-sided mat. Just a thought.

Comment

I usually take a nap.....
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I think I like the second one. It's lighter and you can see the fabrics better.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I would do 2 No1's and 2 No2's but I would rearrange the 9 patches on the no1's to not have any darks together. Either make the corners dark, or make them the light, for more contrast between the patches. I think they'd be fun being different, for people to flip over and see a little surprise!
            Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Walk, look at problem, walk some more. Eventually I stop thinking I'm dumb or something and can concentrate with a clear mind..

Someone said nap. Nap is good but it doesn't burn calories.

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                If it were me, I wouldn't go to all that work for 2 sides. I do just one side, then have plain backing on the reverse side. I like the Dresden in #1 the best, but I'd prefer a plain fabric for the circle in the middle. I'm wondering how well dishes will balance with all that bulk for a 2-sided mat. Just a thought.
                I would agree. When I make placemats I have a fun side and plain back because my quilting the mat won't match. That's what I do!
                Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Comment

Too many options. My mind won't focus on all of those thoughts.
                  Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                  Terry

Comment

You have a lot of options there! I think I would just put it aside for a bit and when you least expect it the solution will pop into your head. You could take a nap, go for a walk, do a little house work chore, or work on a completely separate project. I also would just make 2 sets instead of reversible, to many seams may make the place mat bulky for glasses, plates not so much, but glasses may topple over. Good luck with your project.

Comment

Yep I'm with the others do not make a 2-sided mat. I personally like your 4-patch there, and I would make rectangular placemats and put a block of the chicken wire on each side next to the dresdens to place silverware on
                      That chicken wire fabric is just too cute!

Comment

.... You come over and ask your friends at M*QC forum!

...and get a hundred different opinions, hahaha!

I got semi lost in all the versions, but they all look great. First question I'd ask myself is if these are meant to be used and loved — in that case I'd just put that get her what looks good at the moment and get them finished. If they're more like lifelong decoration on a seldom used dining table, a lot more thought is in order.

The one thing I'd be concerned about (if they aren't purely decorative) is that a Dresden on each side would create a hump in the middle.

And depending on how they'll be seen, i.e. if you just walk past one side of the table or if the room is so large you often walk around all sides, I'd probably make each mat slightly different.

You've got a lot of decisions (and a lot of opinions to make more decisions!) but it already looks like whatever you do the placemats will be striking.
                        Last edited by stitchwishes; October 7, 2016, 12:48 PM. Reason: because I obviously can't type today and autocorrect likes to change hundred into haircut deeds....

Comment

I like your first option. Plus keeping it simple is the best way to go. I know first hand what it is to over analyze something. You have to stop walk a away for a bit, and then come back to it. Then you will think that the first thing of what you started is what was intended to be. If your mom like the scrappy eclectic look, go with it. But remember to balance your colors!

Comment

My vote would be option #2. I don't like the back design you have for #1, too dark, I like seeing the chicken in #2. If it is not too much bulk in the double Dresden then use it rather than the single one you show for #3 and #4.

sue

Comment

Since you are making dresden plates, I would have that block where the plate sits and then a small circle with the rooster in it where the glass sits on the placemat. I like the scrappy background squares for the placemat backing!
                              Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X