Design wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Design wall

I assume most of you have a design wall. Did you find a sturdy one to purchase or did someone make it for you
    Connie

Re: Design wall

Hi Connie, I purchased the foam insulation board from Home Depot and covered it with scrap batting (flannel would work, too). Each board is 4' x 8'. I put 2 together and have an 8' x 8' wall, but you can make it any size you have room for - we just happen to have a basement.
    Last edited by seaturtle; October 2, 2016, 12:55 PM.
    Cindy

Comment

I made mine from poster boards and felt yardage and used velcro to attach to the wall.

design wall.jpg
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

No design wall here. I have no wall space for one. I use two of those cheap ( under $10) cardboard cutting boards on my queen bed to lay out my quilt blocks. I lay one over the other, slide the underneath one out to make it as wide as I need it. It is 72" long. Beyond that length, I fake it or follow the pattern from the other blocks. They fold down nicely for storage.

Comment

Originally posted by seaturtle View Post
          Hi Connie, I purchased the foam insulation board from Home Depot and covered it with scrap batting (flannel would work, too). Each board is 4' x 8'. I put 2 together and have an 8' x 8' wall, but you can make it any size you have room for - we just happen to have a basement.
          I did the same except I used 2 vinyl with flannel backing I got off clearance , it all works very well, I do think the batting would work better , but I use it like it is and I have been happy.

Comment

I also use use a bed for my design wall, no wall space. Works ok for me.

Comment

I have two cheap plastic table cloths that are pinned to the wall (shiny side down). Less than $10

Comment

I use the bed, too. No wall space.

Comment

I bought a Fons and Porter design wall with a coupon at JoAnns. For larger projects I lay my blocks out on my California King sized bed. I then take pictures of the layout so that when I take blocks from the bedroom down the hall to my sewing room, I can check to make sure I didn't mess anything up.

Comment

Yesterday, I put a piece of batting on the front of a cabinet (with packing tape) to use as a design wall. It worked out great until later in the evening. I went into my sewing room to check to make sure there were no blocks on the floor for the dog to pick up and hide only to find the whole thing had fallen on the floor. Oh well, the best laid plans of mice and men -- er . . women!!

Comment

I saw that Cheryl Anne has a collapsible one. But, it's a hair expensive.

Comment

I purchased the Kaffe Fasset grid flannel when I was at his workshop and put grommets in the top and hung it where my old one was. The old one was a flannel backed table cloth from the dollar store. The new one has a grid and is neutral color, which is nice, but truthfully - the white cheapo from the dollar store worked just as well!

Comment

I use a giant piece of black felt hung from my wall. A lot of people use white design walls, but I prefer brighter colors so the black gives better contrast.

Comment

Working...
                          X