Good people, good things, inspiration abounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good people, good things, inspiration abounds

So many wonderful things happened at the Shriners auction today. Hard for me to know where to begin.

There was a bike being auctioned and I was bidding on it because my little guy that washes dishes at the restaurant walks to work every day about 5 miles for a two hour job. He is trying to get his car running but hasn't been too successful and his bike broke about 6 months ago, so when he can't bum a ride, he walks.
    So I was up to about $40 which was my limit and the price kept going up. At $76 I was amazed and finally this woman won the bike. The man bidding against her apologized for bidding it up but said he really wanted it because there was this little Mexican boy in a trailer park that he wanted to give it to. The woman said, "take it, give it to him". THe man reached in his pocket to pay her for the bike and she said "no, just give it to the kid...that's what I was going to do when I found a child without a bike".

That's the first story...

So,, there are two bundt cakes (not very pretty ones...but a lemon and a chocolate) The bidding stops at $7.50 and it is choice. The lemon cake sells, the chocolate cake is put back for later because there is no bidder. The woman minding the raffle for the quilt is sitting next to a man who says, "my wife won't be making any more baked goods for sale because hers never bring enough money, according to her". The auction goes on for a few more hours and the chocolate cake comes back up for bid. The lady at the raffle ticket table begins the bidding with $25 and is outbid and it finally sells for $60. Then the lady gives the cake to the person who was bidding against her. She said she just wanted to make two people feel special.

that's the second story....

So, we have one quilt extra after the raffle and we put it up for auction. A woman wins the bid for $250. She takes it home. She stops in at the restaurant after the auction and is having a beer and appetizer with her friend when another couple come in and they had been at the auction but had to leave before the quilt went up for auction. She didn't know this other couple. She overheard the strangers at the adjoining table talking and the wife said, oh how I wanted that quilt...it was the perfect color for our guest room. The woman at the bar went out to her car and came back in with the quilt and gifted it to the strangers. They insisted they wanted to pay her for the quilt and she said "no, pay it forward" and so they handed me $300 to go toward the quilt raffle.

So much love was generated around the town today and I feel so blessed to have been part of this wonderful event. Thank you fellow quilters for all of your support and love towards me these past 10 months. I know I must have sounded obsessed and singleminded through it all. Thank you for teaching me to FMQ...that went a long way toward being able to produce as many quilts as I did.
    Thanks to all the wonderful donations from each of you , connecting threads and other generous folks around my town for fabric and supplies. And thank the Good Lord for all the blessings he has bestowed upon my family and me with health and mental acuity .
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Re: Good people, good things, inspiration abounds

Wow, what wonderful generosity and beauty of the human soul <3 It's truly uplifting to be reminded that humans can be so very good to each other.

Comment

Very uplifting to hear. Its nice to see wonderful people do wonderful things instead of hearing of the other side of the coin. Thanks for sharing with us.
      Karen
      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

It is so wonderful to hear stories like this. It reminds you there is hope for humanity. :-)
        https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
        Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

It's so good to hear these stories - thanks for sharing them with us. And thanks for allowing us to be a small part of the Shriners Raffle. I'm so glad it was a huge success for them!
          Cindy

Comment

Terry........wow........thank you so much for sharing these wonderful stories with us. I read your other post & was waiting to hear more about the day. Like the others have said, it's so nice and uplifting to read about people showing such kindness to others. I have to admit.....they made me teary eyed. With so many bad things happening around us, your post about the days events was needed and appreciated.
            "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
            Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I will take the bait...so could CHC and her CFoundation. My apologies but "you stole my happy" I had from this thread with your comment. Nevermind, I just got it back!

Comment

This is wonderful... and exactly why i love to donate my crafting work)
                Thank you for sharing the stories and don't hesitate to let us know when next year or another worthy cause rolls around!!) GB
                "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

You were no small part Cindy. Your quilt spurred me on and gave us a fabulous boost when we were able to get the first $300 sold. Gave me incentive to keep myself motivated. Plus, it made me strive for a better product. Your seams were so perfect and your ironing made me see that I should try harded to iron my seams correctly. It made a difference.
                  Originally posted by seaturtle View Post
                  It's so good to hear these stories - thanks for sharing them with us. And thanks for allowing us to be a small part of the Shriners Raffle. I'm so glad it was a huge success for them!
                  Terry

Comment

Oh, grammaBabs, you just added another wonderful story. Thank you . My heart is just so full.
                    Originally posted by GrammaBabs View Post
                    This is wonderful... and exactly why i love to donate my crafting work)
                    Thank you for sharing the stories and don't hesitate to let us know when next year or another worthy cause rolls around!!) GB
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by PatinValrico View Post
                      I will take the bait...so could CHC and her CFoundation. My apologies but "you stole my happy" I had from this thread with your comment. Nevermind, I just got it back!
                      I don't think either of those named had found the joy we have in our giving. Some people just have too much money.
                      Terry

Comment

Such heartwarming stories! There is a Lot of good in this world! I'm so sorry I wasn't able to help you with this raffle but please let us know in the future and I'll try to pay it forward as well.
                        I am Sew Blessed!
                        Alina

Comment

These stories make my heart happy! A few tears shed in awe, but happy none the less.

Comment

Thank you for sharing the generosity and kindness.
                            The trail is the thing----Louis L'Amour

Comment

Working...
                            X