Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not a fabric stasher! I'm not! Not, not, not!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not a fabric stasher! I'm not! Not, not, not!

I swear, I am a minimalist! Solids only, and very few of them in my stash. I'd never have the right shade anyhow, and have to go buy it. Precuts only if they were on sale, and I have a pattern for the, and will use them soon-ish. Those are my rules. Oh, plus a bit of whimsical fabric here and there if I know I will never see a print like it again.

So what do I do? Trot off to my LQS to buy flamingos! I adore flamingos, but usually they're too kitschy or garish or look like pajama prints. I haven't stopped thinking about this since I saw it a couple months ago. Let me tell you, my whimsical prints are now nearing stash status. How did this happen? I have rules! Rules, people! Rules to keep me from needing to add a third story to the house for fabric storage! I hate stash!

It's contagious, too. My mother was with me and she whipped out her quilted eyeglass case, held it up to fox fabric, and asked how much I'd need to make her one. I'm fairly certain she doesn't even want a new case, she just wanted the fabric!

Anyhow, here are my flamingos. Please tell me I'm not crazy, they're adorable! Right? I don't even have a clue what I'll do with this fabric, that's probably what's getting to me. Any ideas? The flamingos are small, the largest about the size of a thumbnail. Their little feet are splashing in the waves!

image.jpg

Re: I'm not a fabric stasher! I'm not! Not, not, not!

They are very adorable. You will eventually come across a perfect pattern for your fabric - at least that is what I tell myself when I buy fabric without any specific project in mind
    Wendy
    http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

They are awfully cute! How many yards did you buy?

Jeannette

Comment

Love the fabric, it's so cute. I made a lap quilt for a friend in Florida using fabric with flamingos. I still have some of the fabric and think I will make a few place mats or mug rugs for her as she just loves flamingos!

As far as stash is concerned, I'm not the best for advice. I'm guilty too of buying things I like.

Comment

I like those flamingos! I am sure you'll find something to do with them.

Butterflies are my thing. I buy butterfly fabric. Haven't made a thing with it yet. but I will!

Sometimes birds too.
          I was buying some more of a certain print I needed, which I did use imediately, byt, when I came accross the Judy Neimeyer bird fabric in turquoise with bird feeders filled with red seeds and bought 4 yards.
          Well a couple months later in the heat of the summer, I realised that sun was bursting through my kitchen window, and heating up the kitchen making it unbearable by 10am. So I went out to my . . . ahem, storage area, looking for some nice blue fabric for an insulated curtain, and here's what happened:

Kitchen_Curtains.jpg

Kitchen_Curtains03.jpg

Practice Ruffles made by taking the faceplate off my featherweight because the attatchment screw was hitting it.

Kitchen_Curtains_Ruffles.jpg

So, buy that adorable fabric, I say!
          Last edited by PrettyCurious; September 30, 2016, 05:26 PM.
          Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I really like the flamingo print, one thing I like about it is they are so small and cute. I know you will find a perfect thing for them.

Comment

Some people make mini quilts and hang them up all over the house. Well not me. When I find a fabric that I love, and want to see it every day, I make a small "quilt" usually with blocks no more than 4" square, and line my kitchen drawers and cabinets with them. I even hand quilt them, my grown daughters think I am crazy for wasting my time like this. They are everywhere, in my silverware drawer, lining the shelf where I keep my flower vases, on the shelf where my coffee cups are, in my cupboard underneath the wine glasses, in the large drawer where I store my pots and pan lids, even under my toaster. They are small projects and I make one when I need a break from making a bed size quilt and feel the need to get it out of my system because "that fabric" is haunting me and taunting me to use it. So I am confident you will come up with something cute and clever for those cute flamingos but it will probably bug you day and night till you come up with something!!

Comment

Flamingos are darn adorable!! You must purchase flamingo fabric every chance you get.

Comment

There....there.....there.............It's okay........just pet the pretty flamingos.........ssshhhhh.......It's okay....

Imagine us collectively patting you softly on the head......and try not to think about those rules..

Really...it's okay.....we understand.........sometimes we are powerless to resist!

The flamingos are too cute. You can't just leave them at the store.....that would be sad.
                  "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                  Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

We all have our downfalls and weaknesses. Yours might be flamingos......mine might be 1930 prints, or kiddie prints for eye spy quilts, or dots.....yeah, dots! Your fabric is so cute and I am sure the perfect project will come along. I like to let things simmer......something always percolates to the front of the brain. I just finished some flamingo placemats for a wedding gift. Not my taste, but obviously hers and yours. Enjoy your love and the joy it brings to you!

Comment

The flamingos are adorable. What about a table runner, or if you have plenty, a shower curtain would be really cool. Placemats. Would be a cute small habdbag if you like that, I love different prints for bags I carry.

Anyway, I say. Biy more flamingos, they are too tooo cute
                      Karen
                      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Hahaha, well it does feel good to not be alone! Some of you offered up great ideas that got me thinking. I've got a new tray on my side table, maybe the flamingos would be fun as a quilted "placemat" liner in the round tray. It's next to my recliner, and I kept knocking stuff off the side table so I found a nice big tray to contain my "junk du jour". I'm crazy for mini quilts, that would be just another form of mini quilt. I'd definitely want to look at this fabric all the time, it's just so happy.

There, now I feel better, my fabric has a plan! Thanks I did get just a half yard, they had that cut already so I felt that was a good limit. They had a whole bolt though, hmm...!

Comment

Oh dear. You all are making me feel like a hoarder.
                          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                          Terry

Comment

I just finished a panel quilt for a boy and didn't have a backing picked out. My sister was over and suggested she help me pin it and get it quilted. Well, she went into my stash and found the perfect green fabric and there was just enough of it for the backing. How does that work out??? My sister said I was just saving it for this quilt. LOL So I was happy that green had been in the stash for well over 5 years so I figured it was "free",, no emergency run to the LQS and have to pay for backing at todays prices.
                            Your flamingos are so cute. Have fun and use it so you can see it every day.

Comment

I guess i AM a hoarder and greedy gal when it come to a SALE on fabric and a sucker for "on line" shopping... HATE going to stores..

What's hard to find is the sale on solids... and i mean dirt cheap because i just give away everything i make,,, I'm addicted to "stitching" and in the "last quarter" as i call it... one would think i would give it away.. but NOT ME,,, i sew as fast as i can cause' i just LOVE fabric and a "good deal"....LOL
                              "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                              that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Working...
                              X