Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He did WHAT!!??

Hello everyone.

I need help with this and I do not think there are any ideas that will work. Last year I put together a really nice little table runner for Thanksgiving and the fall season. It is a floral fabric with autumn leaves and a cream fabric for the other half of the log cabin block.

Okay, hang on, here we go. We had a friend over who is an artist. I did not have any ideas for free motion quilting.
    I showed him a couple of samples on the Internet. He's on board so I leave the room to get the blue ink pen (washable) that we all use.

I come back and he has drawn all over it with a marker. He assured me when I stitched over the design you would not be able to see the ink. HA!! Are you kidding me? When I stopped sniffling, I launched it into the corner of the sewing room and there it has stayed. I am landing the airplane now. I am stumped as to how to proceed and if there is any way to salvage my poor UFO/WIP. Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated.

PS: He has not come back since my DH spoke with him.

Re: He did WHAT!!??

A suggestion - I know that hair spray can take ink out of clothing. I would test it on scrap fabric. Mark it with a regular marker, spray, let it soak in, and then wash in some soapy water.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Oh, my. I don't know what to say except that you have my sympathy.
      Sheryl

Comment

Holy cow! He's lucky that you didn't strangle him with the table runner! Do you have a picture of it after he drew all over it? Maybe that would help with suggestions on how to salvage it.

Maybe you should ask him how he would like it you drew all over his art work. Sorry this happened to you. Maybe the forum gang can come up with some suggestions for you.
        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Oh I feel for you! I hope it doesn't ruin the friendship, he probably feels as awful as you do.

Is it jus one kind of marker? Let us know, maybe someone knows how to remove it or you can contact the manufacturer and ask. You'd be surprised at what isn't actually permanent.

If all else fails, quilt over the lines and put it out only when he comes for a visit

If it were me, I'd make another and lie just say it worked out great. AND I'D HIDE ALL MARKERS AND PENS WHEN HE COMES OVER!

Comment

I would quilt over the lines, then give it to him. Then ask him to take pictures of it on his table. And then I would make another one for me and not let him near it!
            Vonnie

Comment

Oh no,i'm so sorry .I would have asked him how he would feel if someone did that to a piece of his art work.
              :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

I can not believe someone did that . That was just rude!

Comment

if it was just a pen, the marks should wash out with a little elbow grease. If a permanent marker, I would call Sharpie and ask their advice. I'm sure this isn't the first thing that got written on that shouldn't have.
                  I once sat a cast iron skillet on a wet counter without realizing it. I thought I would never get the rust stain out. Finally called the maker of the countertop and they gave me a "wicked witch" concoction that worked like magic.
                  sigpic

Comment

Here is what I found on the net:

Rubbing alcohol Your household rubbing alcohol is another effective way to remove marker stains. Place the stain face down on top of a piece of paper towel. Dip a cloth in rubbing alcohol and dab at the stain. You should see the ink transfer to the paper towel underneath the stain.

AND he's still alive?
                    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Wow..... just wow.
                      I'm sending a big hug from Massachusetts to Florida... and hoping one of the methods mentioned above will at the very least, lighten the ink enough so you CAN quilt over it and it won't be noticeable!

Comment

Maybe he was such a self assured artist that he didn't question his judgement. I think there are people like that. Fortunately I don't have to put up with anyone like that right now. I sure hope one of the methods suggested here works.

I made all my grandkids sock monkeys a few years back. ( I have arthritis in my hands, so this was no small feat) My youngest rebellious grand daughter totally covered her sister's monkey with black sharpie. I haven't been able to get it out yet, but saved it in case someone comes up with a solution. Of course, she had to give hers to her sister. Still, it hurt my heart.

Comment

Quilt it, wash it then see what happens. Maybe you will only be left with a bit of marker to worry about. Try not to worry until you know you have something to worry about.

Comment

What an idiot. No advice, just a ((hug))
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Lets step back a minute...are the marks on the back or the front. If on the back, lets just remove the backing and replace it. If its on the pieced side, another issue. We need to see the pictures. Perhaps you can do echo quilting and cover all of the marker. It might actually be cool but unless we see the picture, its hard to say.
                              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X