UFO VS.WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UFO VS.WIP

I was thinking about the 4 quilts I have that are all stuck at about 60% complete. Because I cannot work these simultaneously, they are called unfinished objects, UFOs. But, even if I only had one quilt that was in process that I work everyday (a WIP) this is still considered an unfinished object. This thought has got me down. I associate a UFO as somewhat negative, a little naughty in not finishing what I start. Have any of you ever thought about this? I think the UFO thing needs renaming. A name that in the context shows the age of the WIP. Any ideas? Perhaps putting a Sept in front of UFO can stand for 7 year project? Septufo....my mind wants to read this as tofu which is not desireable to me and probably not a good name.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Re: UFO VS.WIP

I don't like the UFO term either. For me, a UFO is something that I will most likely NEVER finish it, so I will give away, repurpose or something. Anything that I intend to finish I prefer to call a WIP.

Comment

IMO you are over thinking it and putting to much importance on the two acronyms. Each of us has our own definition and distinction of a WIP vs UFO. and that's ok.

For me a wip is something i'm working on, and I can have several wips at a time. A ufo is something that has stalled and been shelved for any number of reasons and for any length of time as long as I don't know when or if i'll get back to it.

Comment

So, my positive thinking says I only have WIPs. I do not have any UFOs. Awesome.
        Karen
        Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

IMO you are over thinking it and putting to much impotence on the two acronyms. Each of us has our own definition and distinction of a WIP vs UFO. and that's ok.

For me a wip is something i'm working on, and I can have several wips at a time. A ufo is something that has stalled and been shelved for any number of reasons and for any length of time as long as I don't know when or if i'll get back to it.

Comment

OK don't know why that posted twice. Sorry using new device and it''s got some funky features.

Comment

To me, a UFO is a project I no longer have the desire to finish and will probably never get back to.

Comment

And then there is what I have . . . a whole bunch of USOs: UnStarted Objects which are kits and layer cakes an jelly rolls that will one day be WIPs and hopefully will never be UFOs!

Comment

Originally posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
                  So, my positive thinking says I only have WIPs. I do not have any UFOs. Awesome.

Me too!
                  I have about 20
                  My oldest WIP is about 33 years old! LOL!
                  And actually, it doesn't bother me in the slightest!
                  If it did, I would have finished it!
                  Happy Quilting!

Comment

UFO is a drawer project. WIP is a table project.
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                      UFO is a drawer project. WIP is a table project.
                      Said perfectly
                      Karen
                      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

If ya all get too discouraged to finish a project.. just send it on to me, please. I'll happily finish it and donate it to my local abuse center.. This way you make room for more stash and have "finished" a UFO.

I don't mind having lots of WIP... I have boxes of WIP... sandwiched and ready to meet my machine.
                        I call this my Que... it is ready to be quilted. LOL..
                        Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                        :icon_wave:

Comment

I consider all of them FFPs...Future Finished Projects.
                          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by everest123 View Post
                            And then there is what I have . . . a whole bunch of USOs: UnStarted Objects which are kits and layer cakes an jelly rolls that will one day be WIPs and hopefully will never be UFOs!
                            Holy toledo! I have way more of these and I didn't know there was a term for this!
                            Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                              I consider all of them FFPs...Future Finished Projects.
                              Oooooooo I like this!

Comment

Working...
                              X