Refurbished sewing machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refurbished sewing machine

Does anyone own a Brother CE5000PRW computerized sewing machine? I'd love to hear your pros/cons on this machine. I have a chance to buy this from a lady in town and she told me it's a refurbished machine, whatever that means. She's had it for a year and no troubles with it. She is upgrading reason for sale. I know very little about sewing machines. Thanks and have a good day.
    sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Re: Refurbished sewing machine

Don't have that machine but refurbished means she bought a used machine that had been reworked at the factory. Consider that this is a two owner machine when or if you decide on a price.

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
      Don't have that machine but refurbished means she bought a used machine that had been reworked at the factory. Consider that this is a two owner machine when or if you decide on a price.
      Thank you, I might pass on this because she's asking $90 for it which I think is too much for a 2nd owner machine. I'll do more shopping

Comment

Normally I wouldn't think $90 is bad for a used machine, but these are cheap when new, Overstock sold them for $109, so . . yer probably right.

Here's some reviews

https://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sew...2/product.html

Read all of the ones on amazon. Most didn't like it after some time.
        https://www.amazon.com/Brother-CE-50...ews/B001FE1P2W
        Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Refurbished does not always mean there was something wrong with it. It could have been bought and returned. Can't be sold as new so it's returned to factory, where they go over it and resell as refurbished.
          I have that machine as a travel machine. Nice little machine, DH bought if for me at WM on clearance-paid $75, maybe. The Brother machines sold at WM, Costco etc are nice machines-heavy duty no, but for the money you get a nice machine. I think if you could get the machine for 75 you would be OK but for a little more you can get a new one with warrenty.
          “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Originally posted by bakermom View Post
            Refurbished does not always mean there was something wrong with it. It could have been bought and returned. Can't be sold as new so it's returned to factory, where they go over it and resell as refurbished.
            I have that machine as a travel machine. Nice little machine, DH bought if for me at WM on clearance-paid $75, maybe. The Brother machines sold at WM, Costco etc are nice machines-heavy duty no, but for the money you get a nice machine. I think if you could get the machine for 75 you would be OK but for a little more you can get a new one with warrenty.
            I did look at those at Costco, a new one for $118 on sale and you get the accessories plus warranty. Sounds real good, but after reading the reviews I decided not to. Boy does it take some homework just to buy a simple lightweight sewing machine. I think I'm burning out and may just throw up my hands and forget it altogether. Or is it me?? Maybe too picky?

Comment

Too picky? That depends, are you looking for something simple to do occasional sewing or mending? A basic machine will do. If you are doing a lot of sewing/quilting you will want something a bit more substantial. Something heavier that you can FMQ with. While you can, and many here do FMQ on the lightweight machines they do move around a bit more and don't have the throat space. My DD's all have brother machines from WM and do quite well with them with their quilts. I have a TOL Brother and Juki 2000q that I use for embroidery and quilting, but they don't go anywhere with me 'cause they are heavy! First decide what are the "must haves" for you. A thread cutter, auto threader, large harp, dec. stitches etc and go from there. You may find a gently used machine at a dealer or you may decide to go with a straight stitch like the Juki from Amazon. Some will recommend going thru a dealer-there are advantages- or if you are comfortable buy on Amazon or similar. either way attend shows or visit dealers and test drive if you can.
              “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Originally posted by bakermom View Post
                Too picky? That depends, are you looking for something simple to do occasional sewing or mending? A basic machine will do. If you are doing a lot of sewing/quilting you will want something a bit more substantial. Something heavier that you can FMQ with. While you can, and many here do FMQ on the lightweight machines they do move around a bit more and don't have the throat space. My DD's all have brother machines from WM and do quite well with them with their quilts. I have a TOL Brother and Juki 2000q that I use for embroidery and quilting, but they don't go anywhere with me 'cause they are heavy! First decide what are the "must haves" for you. A thread cutter, auto threader, large harp, dec. stitches etc and go from there. You may find a gently used machine at a dealer or you may decide to go with a straight stitch like the Juki from Amazon. Some will recommend going thru a dealer-there are advantages- or if you are comfortable buy on Amazon or similar. either way attend shows or visit dealers and test drive if you can.
                Thank you for all the good information. I'm just wanting a basic straight sewing machine, lightweight. I have a home heavy duty Janome that is in a cabinet and it does all my quilts, etc. I'll just keep looking with all your suggestions in mind.

Comment

Working...
                X