Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allergy to Chemical in fabric...Anyone else dealing wit this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allergy to Chemical in fabric...Anyone else dealing wit this?

I know that there have been previous conversations regarding similar issues, headaches and such due to the chemicals in fabrics, has anyone else broken out with a rash/blisters? It's much like a chemical burn.

I've been sewing/quilting for 25+ year and the first time this happened to me was last year after putting a binding on a quilt and I thought no....it couldn't be from quilting....I went to the Dr and he said "Ewe...what's wrong with your hand....."...Thanks doc! It took months to heal and in the meantime was miserable and really nasty looking.

All was well, I worked on several quilt tops, until recently when I put another binding on a quilt. It happened again but the reaction is much worse. I went to a different Doc (due to an insurance change) and he put me on a steroid pack for 6 days. It cleared right up.....the hands still needed to do some healing but the spreading stopped and it was no longer painful and icky......a couple days after the last dose and the reaction is back.

Okay, I did some piecing on a quilt over the weekend but still!

I'm so upset...

The obvious solution is to where gloves when ever possible, easy enough to do especially when binding, haven't tried it yet with piecing but I think it will be okay. I may have to start avoiding precuts as they shouldn't be prewashed....which is also not a big deal except of the investment I have in them already......

Anyone else deal with this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by tlragogo; September 19, 2016, 07:53 AM.

Re: Allergy to Chemical in fabric...Anyone else dealing wit this?

Don't have that issue but could it have been an allergy to the needle instead of the fabric? Especially if you have been piecing ok without any reaction but have it more with the binding.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Comment

Years ago, I had an allergy that I attributed to fabric, but I was buying cheap bolt end cuts of fabric for a project and thought it was either where they had been stored or perhaps the age of the fabric they had been treated with insecticides to put them in warehouses. Since I have been buying quality fabrics, the red eyes, sneezing and sniffling and itching hasn't occurred. I have great sympathy for you.
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
        Years ago, I had an allergy that I attributed to fabric, but I was buying cheap bolt end cuts of fabric for a project and thought it was either where they had been stored or perhaps the age of the fabric they had been treated with insecticides to put them in warehouses. Since I have been buying quality fabrics, the red eyes, sneezing and sniffling and itching hasn't occurred. I have great sympathy for you.
        Thank you! I am a fabric snob and only buy top of the line...it's on sale (I'm not crazy...LOL) but it's all top of the line stuff. In these two specific cases it's Moda (Grunge basics and Hi-De-Ho lines).

The major affected area on one hand is directly attributed to where/how I hold the fabric when I bind. I assumed it is because I'm slow and am holding that fabric/quilt in the same area for hours on end.

I'll walk thru the fire and figure out how to avoid it, I have too much invested to give up on the hobby. Not to mention it is my therapy....people around me will not be safe if I do not figure this out....LOL.

Thanks.

Comment

If you aren't having this problem while piecing the quilt, and only when binding, then I would ask, are you using store bought pre-made binding tape? If so, perhaps you might try making your own binding strips out of the same manufacturer of fabric(s) that you usually use when piecing.

I know when I use pre-made bias binding, while I didn't get blisters, the skin on my fingers would get extremely dry and cracked. Most likely due to chemicals used as Grammaterry suggested. Since cutting my own binding, I don't have the problem, unless my piecing material is of lesser quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
            If you aren't having this problem while piecing the quilt, and only when binding, then I would ask, are you using store bought pre-made binding tape? If so, perhaps you might try making your own binding strips out of the same manufacturer of fabric(s) that you usually use when piecing.

I know when I use pre-made bias binding, while I didn't get blisters, the skin on my fingers would get extremely dry and cracked. Most likely due to chemicals used as Grammaterry suggested. Since cutting my own binding, I don't have the problem, unless my piecing material is of lesser quality.
            Another good thought, however, I am making my own bindings out of the same fabric line as the quilt....

Comment

Since the issue is when you hand bind, you could try machine binding (I know for me that would be easy to say, and not to do as I much prefer the look of hand sewn binding). I think it would be hard to hand sew binding on with gloves unless you could get some extremely thin gloves.
              Wendy
              http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

How are you basting your quilts? If you're spray basting, perhaps it's the adhesive?

Comment

Originally posted by wlrquilts View Post
                  Since the issue is when you hand bind, you could try machine binding (I know for me that would be easy to say, and not to do as I much prefer the look of hand sewn binding). I think it would be hard to hand sew binding on with gloves unless you could get some extremely thin gloves.
                  I'm definitely going to try machine binding for this as well as to get some days of my life back....as I mentioned I'm really slow at it.

Once I started seeing the skin irritation while binding this last quilt, I did switch to gloves and had no issues with the binding process. I have cut the tips off of the hand that I hold the needle with so I can feel what I'm doing. That hand has very minimal irritation. For some reason my finger tips are the least affected on both hands.

Then I started to worry about the chemicals in the quilting gloves so I have soaked them to wash out any residue that I could.

As a side note, in addition to this being painful and icky, I just turned 52 and though I do not feel old...there is nothing like going to the Dr (who happens to be young and so gorgeous I could cry....) for a quilting ailment ..to make ya feel like you are 100!!! LOL....

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
                    How are you basting your quilts? If you're spray basting, perhaps it's the adhesive?
                    I have been taking them to a long arm quilter so no basting, she puts them on her machine and they return gorgeous....

Comment

Perhaps some benadryl spray on your hand before you start the binding process? Or cortisone cream on the affected hand? I know you would get some residue on the binding so this would only work if you wash the quilt when you're done.
                      Cindy

Comment

Originally posted by seaturtle View Post
                        Perhaps some benadryl spray on your hand before you start the binding process? Or cortisone cream on the affected hand? I know you would get some residue on the binding so this would only work if you wash the quilt when you're done.
                        I have applied Benedryl cream this morning to the newly affected areas and it really does seem to be helping the situation. I have also taken 1/2 a pill.

Applying before working on the binding is a great suggestion as well.

Thanks.

Comment

OK, maybe it is the batting that is irritating you since you are sending to a LAQ you do not touch the batting until you start the binding process.

Comment

So sorry to hear about this allergic reaction. I've never had this problem. I seldom hand bind quilts anymore. I use the walking foot & do it on the DSM. Faster, easier, & it looks just as nicely finished, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by tlragogo View Post
                              Another good thought, however, I am making my own bindings out of the same fabric line as the quilt....
                              Are you washing the fabric first? That was my first thought...

They use so many chemicals to finish fabric and I'm sensitive to a lot of them, so I always pre-wash.
                              Sheryl

Comment

Working...
                              X