Ceiling hung quiltinframe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ceiling hung quiltinframe

I've been pretty tired lately what with the restaurant and the farm and the shriners Quilt raffle and maybe even a little blue. But...today...a customer brought me an antique ceiling hung quilting frame that his mother had. Her name was Dot Young and she had a quilt shop in Clemmons, NC. It appears to be in terrific condition.
    Now, it is really big. I mean big like 20 women could sit around this frame and quilt.
    Her son told me he just wants someone to use it. I'm not certain I have a ceiling large enough to use it other than at the restaurant and I told him so. I suggested that I might try to sell it as a donation for the Childrens Hospital and he thought that might be a good idea. However, I don't know how to market it. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would bring much at an auction. It seems its the kind of thing that a group would like to have like a guild or a church. Any body have any ideas on who might be willing to give a donation for something on this order?
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Re: Ceiling hung quiltinframe

I hope you do0n't feel blue for long.Do you have any idea how old the frame might be,is it an antique? that could be how you start.Maybe look up some of your local guilds and ask them if they have any ideas about how to find a interested party? Sorry I'm not much help here.
    :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Check this place out: http://quiltshops.blogspot.com/2009/...stover-mo.html

Be sure to scroll down and take a good look at their quilting process.
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Sandy, I really enjoyed that blog. Terry, good luck. Thanks

Comment

I've looked on line. This frame has 6 pieces. There are 4 long poles and 2 flat boards with large holes in the ends. They appear to be for the ropes. Two of the poles would be for the quilt to roll over and the other two would be tied to them to make the big square. Do you think the two flat boards need to be mounted flush with the ceiling or would they be suspended. I haven't seen one on the internet with these pieces.
          The son said that she quilted on this frame for at least 30 years. He has had it in storage for more than 10. [
          Terry

Comment

https://thelibrary.org/lochist/perio...weet/sp74j.htm
            check this picture of one hung from ceiling, scroll down. did a google on ceiling hung quilting frames and selected to see images of them.

Comment

My grandmother had one like this. What memories! I think that if you try the poles in the holes of the boards you will find that they are the side pieces. It sounds like she had extra poles so she could have more than one quilt going at a time.
              Have you thought about hanging it in the restaurant with a quilt stretched across it so the customers can see it when they look up? Or maybe hanging it on the wall with a collection of quilts?
              sigpic

Comment

Mom talked about her grandmother hanging hers in the dining room, and when winter arrived it was let down after dinner and all would gather around to quilt. Great grandmother taught all her children to sew (4 girls & 3 boys). Mothers job was to thread needles as a small child, this would have been 1946-1952.

Comment

Originally posted by nayzie View Post
                  Mom talked about her grandmother hanging hers in the dining room, and when winter arrived it was let down after dinner and all would gather around to quilt. Great grandmother taught all her children to sew (4 girls & 3 boys). Mothers job was to thread needles as a small child, this would have been 1946-1952.
                  I love this story!! Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

That does sound like a clever idea. I think we have those dropped ceilings from the 70'sthat have the metal strips and the ceiling tiles that drop into them. I don't think they would support a quilt...but I wish....
                    Originally posted by LauraP View Post
                    My grandmother had one like this. What memories! I think that if you try the poles in the holes of the boards you will find that they are the side pieces. It sounds like she had extra poles so she could have more than one quilt going at a time.
                    Have you thought about hanging it in the restaurant with a quilt stretched across it so the customers can see it when they look up? Or maybe hanging it on the wall with a collection of quilts?
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by LauraP View Post
                      I'm going to have to take a picture of these pieces. I don't think the square rails will fit in the holes of the boards. Could be wrong. I am not mechanical at all.
                      Terry

Comment

https://www.google.com/search?q=ceil...WkkBIHEVDQM%3A

don't know if this is like yours but it might give you an idea.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X