Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EQ7 - Do you use it? Is it worth it ($)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Bernamom

• Bernamom
    replied
    Re: EQ7 - Do you use it? Is it worth it ($)?

I just bought EQ Design Wizard for $20.00 on Amazon. It has a fairly large library of blocks and fabrics. It is very easy to use and I like that it can easily flip blocks to make different patterns. You can't download anything (I don't think), but it gives me a great visual to get started with. I don't think it calculates fabric either. For the $$, it works for me (at least for now...)

Leave a comment:

• DNeubauer

• DNeubauer
    replied

I have been playing with it since it arrived on Saturday and I agree it is a fun program and is definitely a learn curve. I tend to just jump in and play with it, but have also been watching the videos and doing the Catch the Waves lesson on the EQ7 Facebook page. I love the foundation piecing blocks and also that you can turn any block into a foundation piece. Thanks to all that responded. Pictured are the first two blocks I did with foundation piecing.Stash Blocks.JPG

Leave a comment:

• PrettyCurious

• PrettyCurious
    replied

Originally posted by Lisa Favalora View Post
    I'm a little behind here -what is EQ?
    Electric Quilt is a design program. They are up to version 7 now, so many call it EQ7
    I did a lot of research before spending $140 for it. The ones for less than $100 were too limited for me. If I was going to spend any amount for a design program, this had to be it. You can use your printer to scan in your own fabric. For me, it frees up my brain to do other things. I see a block I like and draw i out in EQ7, then design a quilt with those blocks, color it in with my own fabric [or some pictures I fins on the net] and have a quilt design. It saves time and fabric.

It's not for everyone, though. Google some youtube vids on how to use it, and see if it's something you would like or can imagine yourself doing, first. I'm a little geeky, so I'm diggin it.

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Favalora

• Lisa Favalora
    replied

I'm a little behind here -what is EQ?

Leave a comment:

• happygram

• happygram
    replied

I bought the EQ for the mac, and oh, how I wish I could figure it out! I've tried the lessons the program provides, and it's just not sinking in.

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser

• jjkaiser
    replied

I am sort of a lazy quilter and just enjoy doing simple patterns because I actually enjoy the quilting part much more than the piecing.

Leave a comment:

• Iris Girl

• Iris Girl
    replied

Not in my budget and this old brain probably would never get the curve. I would constantly be asking the kids for help. When I see something I might like to make I get out my graph paper and colored pencils.

Leave a comment:

• shirleyknot
    Banned

• shirleyknot
    replied

Its nowhere NEAR being in my budget, so I guess I'll never know.

Leave a comment:

• PrettyCurious

• PrettyCurious
    replied

I got mine from Quilt-in-a-day. It's got quite a discount. You have to put it in your shopping cart to see the price.

I think it's well worth it. Very versital. I don't know how to do everything, but I like what I can do so far.

The first quilt I designed on it was one I had previously done on paper. The one I did on paper took several days over the course of a few weeks to get all the math right to figure out the yardage. I used a picture of a quilt I found on the web that gave no pattern or instructions. The same one I did using EQ7 took a couple of hours, because I wasn't familiar with the program, but was so much easier! and I had my yardage requirements instantly upon completion.

If you take your time designing and figuring out yardage by hand, vs how long it takes to use this program, and give yourself $10 hr for the difference, the program is paid for by the first or second quilt.
    PrettyCurious
    Last edited by PrettyCurious; August 5, 2017, 09:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DNeubauer

• DNeubauer
    replied

I ordered EQ7 from Amazon yesterday. It should arrive on Saturday. I have been watching the summer series of tutorials, so once I upload I will have a basic understanding of the tools and workspace. I can't wait to delve into it and see what all it can do and produce my first design.

Leave a comment:

• swietsto

• swietsto
    replied

Check around on the pricing. I was able to find EQ7 on Amazon for a significant discount. There is a steep learning curve, but there are a lot of sources for help and tutorials.

Leave a comment:

• DNeubauer

• DNeubauer
    replied

I am seriously thinking of buying EQ7. I saw a comment somewhere that it allows you to make blocks in any size or shape. Is that correct? I would like to design a quilt that has rectangular blocks and my current program only allows square blocks when designing.

Leave a comment:

• Carlie Wolf

• Carlie Wolf
    replied

Pittsburg Carol, I have Quilt Pro but haven't really played with it yet. The instruction manual seems pretty straight forward. One thing I noticed though is quite a few of the manufacturer sites seem to allow you do download their lines from there sites. It doesn't appear that as many allow you to download it into Quilt Pro. Am I mistaken? Or can you download the fabric selections in to QP that they state are for Electric Quilt?

Leave a comment:

• Pittsburgh Carol

• Pittsburgh Carol
    replied

Originally posted by Lasykate View Post
    I have scanned fabric into Electric Quilt also. I have never used Quilt pro 6. However, I would like to see it
    being used some day; or at least take a look at the instruction book. Electric Quilt does take some time with
    the instructions. Question for Pittsburgh Carol; Would you say that Quilt Pro 6 is more user friendly ?
    Are things more straight forward, right out of the box?

Quilt Pro is a lot easier to use. The only problem I have with it is when designing blocks, the program automatically snaps the lines to the grid. Sometimes I want to make a shape that doesn't do that. Like when I want to rotate a part of a block to be on point, it won't go there. QP comes with an instruction book but for most of it, it's easy enough to figure out without the book.

Leave a comment:

• Lasykate

• Lasykate
    replied

I have scanned fabric into Electric Quilt also. I have never used Quilt pro 6. However, I would like to see it
    being used some day; or at least take a look at the instruction book. Electric Quilt does take some time with
    the instructions. Question for Pittsburgh Carol; Would you say that Quilt Pro 6 is more user friendly ?
    Are things more straight forward, right out of the box?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X