Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EQ7 - Do you use it? Is it worth it ($)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EQ7 - Do you use it? Is it worth it ($)?

Contemplating purchasing EQ7 or the EQ Mini. Any thoughts/advice anyone has on which EQ. I should buy ( or not) would be much appreciated. TIA Cheers Jan

Re: EQ7 - Do you use it? Is it worth it ($)?

I love my EQ7 and consider it well worth the purchase price. I used it a lot more when I was just learning to quilt. It helped me to rapidly audition different fabric choices and see what the effect would be of changing fabrics.

I think it is only fair to say that as a middle aged Baby Boomer I found EQ7 to have a steep learning curve. It took me many hours (think months not weeks) to learn all the features and work through all the lessons. I imagine if you are substantially younger you will learn it much more quickly than I did.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I still have EQ5 which I have used maybe five times ever. I guess I am just old school - give me some graph paper and some colored pencils and I am one happy camper creating and/or tweaking quilt patterns.
      Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

I am 56 and purchased EQ7 last year. It was definitely worth it for me! I use it ALL the time! There isn't enough graph paper in the world that could help me put fabrics together. LOL

If I see a block on the internet that I like, I'll just check to see if it's already in EQ; and if it's not, I simply draw it in EQ and add fabric from my stash. I scan my fabric and add it to EQ so I know exactly how the quilt will look once done. (see example below) I also go to the designers' websites and download the fabric swatches from there to add to EQ when I'm playing around with fabrics from precuts.

I also like to audition lots of border ideas using EQ before I actually cut the fabric. It never fails that the border I thought I liked was not the border I ended up using.

I have not yet used all the bells 'n whistles, but as I go along and need to take advantage of another feature in EQ, I make sure I go through the tutorials first and check out their website and blog for information.

I will be trying my hand at paper piecing next year and using EQ to print the foundation paper for the blocks.

Here's an example of my Triple Irish Chain quilt in EQ and the finished quilt top.

EQ7 scan.jpg 20160521_151632 smaller.jpg

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
        The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Love that triple irish quilt! Great job.
          https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
          Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I have posted on here several times about needing advice on different fabrics and what would work. I think a program like this would be a great help, but I haven't done it yet because I know EQ7 is so much more than that. I haven't taken the time to explore what the program can do to see if it's worth it. I will be watching this thread to see what others say. Thanks for asking the question.
            Cindy

Comment

In the beginning I purchased EQ7 for the sole purpose to put together different fabrics. As I've been using it, however, I've been using it in other areas as well. But, for me, it was worth buying just for the fabric selection help. I figure everything else was just icing on the cake.

The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Originally posted by Sheep Farmer View Post
                In the beginning I purchased EQ7 for the sole purpose to put together different fabrics. As I've been using it, however, I've been using it in other areas as well. But, for me, it was worth buying just for the fabric selection help. I figure everything else was just icing on the cake.
                When you use their fabric selection do you actually go out and try to purchase those fabrics? Or do you use them just to kind of visualize what the quilt will look like?
                https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Does it tell you how much fabric is needed for each area? I see things I would like to make but not exactly to the quilt I see. Like I may want to only make a lap instead of a king or to add another border. But I am new to quilting and figuring out fabric is still a puzzle for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
                    When you use their fabric selection do you actually go out and try to purchase those fabrics? Or do you use them just to kind of visualize what the quilt will look like?

No, I use my actual fabric that I have in my sewing room. If, for example, I have a layer cake that I want to use in a quilt, I go to the fabric manufacturer's website (say Moda) and add all the fabric from the line into EQ. Then I play around with all the fabric to see what I like best in the blocks. When I first purchased the EQ program, I used their fabric selection and chose colors and fabrics that closely matched what I planned to use, but it's just so much easier to add the actual fabric I'm working on.

The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Originally posted by tsladaritz View Post
                      Does it tell you how much fabric is needed for each area? I see things I would like to make but not exactly to the quilt I see. Like I may want to only make a lap instead of a king or to add another border. But I am new to quilting and figuring out fabric is still a puzzle for me.
                      Yes, the program tells you exactly how much fabric you'll need to buy for whatever size quilt you tell it you want to make. It also gives you rotary cutting directions and tells you what size to cut. You can re-size the quilt or blocks if you want, and it'll tell you what you need for the new size. I have resized quilts that were intended for a queen bed and made them lap sized just by resizing the blocks in EQ.

I don't have to worry about what size square I need to make various HST's cuz I can just do it all in EQ and the program will tell me what size I need. (It's kinda nice not having to deal with doing math.)

The Farmmyfarm

Comment

I have quilts that I simply could not have done without EQ7. It was pretty pricey, and it is a steep learning curve, so it's a tough call whether or not it's worth it. If you like to design your quilts, and they are in any way complicated, I think it's worth the investment of both time and money.
                        Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

I impatiently waited for EQ to come out with a Mac version. I wish I could say it was worth it, but the learning curve is too steep for my old brain. I'd love to find somewhere or someone who could help me. There are some short lessons that come with the program, but they aren't enough. All in all, I think I'd have to say it wasn't worth the expense.

Comment

Buy "Electric Quilt"...You will be happy with it. You can be sure of that.

Comment

I have both EQ7 and Quilt Pro 6. Quilt Pro 6 is so much easier to use and it also allows you to use your own scanned fabric and tells you how much fabric you need. But EQ7 has so many more features. And it's easier to draw blocks with EQ7. I also like how it will print templates for your block.

Comment

Working...
                              X