Use of start/stop button on sewing machines instead of foot control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use of start/stop button on sewing machines instead of foot control

I am curious if anyone does not use their foot control on a regular basis but instead uses the start/stop button

If you do, why

If you dont ever, why

If you use both, why

I am wondering how good a tool it can be.

Thanks in advance for your responses
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Re: Use of start/stop button on sewing machines instead of foot control

I almost always use my start/stop button because I get tired of chasing my foot pedal across my tile floor. I will use the foot pedal when I appliqué since I have to guide the fabric more with both my hands.
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

Rarely use it.

Comment

I use my start/stop button quite a bit ... I find it especially helpful when winding bobbins and doing machine appliqué .. But I also have a speed slider button so I can control the speed.
        Sherrie
        Life ain’t always beautiful
        But it’s a beautiful ride - Gary Allen

Comment

I use it all of the time - I'm not even sure where my foot pedal is for that machine.....
          Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

If I have a start/stop button, I'm not aware of it. I always use my foot pedal.

Comment

My quilting group has discussed this a lot.

We all have start/stop buttons on our machines.

I don't use mine. I like the control I can get using my foot pedal, I can slow down when needed and speed up easily. And I can stop while keeping my hands on the fabric. I don't like having to move my hands off the fabric to press the stop/start. I don't like it when I have to hit the backstitch button either.

My sister and our friend, Pat, both use their stop/start all the time. My sister does it because she can't drive at a constant speed - even in her car - so the stop/start gives her the consistent speed. Plus she can't sew for any length without stopping and readjusting. Pat uses the stop/start because she likes to have her floor below free of cords and the pedal. Strange I know.

Comment

At first this question really confused me. But now I got it. I use my foot.Like Snippet said I like to keep my hands on the fabric.
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

I am using my start/stop button for piecing, because it's more comfortable, I don't have to look for my foot control under the table...for FMQ I need to have both hands free...
                  Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

I don't use the start/stop button. I feel more in control using the foot control. I think I will try it though for winding bobbins!

Comment

I can't imagine sewing without a foot pedal. I like to control my speed without using my hands.
                      Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Agree with Snippet, I use only the foot pedal for the control it offers in speed. I don't like having to move my hand from fabric to button for either the start/stop or backup. I also use the knee lift a lot.
                        I solved the "find the foot pedal" issue by placing a piece of sticky back velcro (use the scratchy side)on the bottom of the foot, It stays put on carpet. If I ever get rid of the carpet in my sewing room, I would replace the velcro with some of that shelf liner stuff.

Comment

When I do machine embroidery you have to use the Start/Stop button. The rest of the time I use my foot pedal. I suspect that's because most of my sewing life sewing machines only had foot pedals, knee levers or treadles.
                          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I have only one machine with a start/stop button and I bought it primarily for my grandkids to use. I don't use the button myself and I'm accustomed to using a foot pedal. When I got my Juki I had to be careful because there is a thread cutter control in the foot pedal and if I press my heel down too hard on the back of the pedal I cut my thread.
                            *~* Myrna *~*
                            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I'm a control freak. I like my foot pedal, and I put rubber grippy stuff on the bottom of it so it stays put.

Comment

Working...
                              X