Sewing machine for bag/purse making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sewing machine for bag/purse making

Hello, i joined the crafty gemini bag of the month club. Was wondering what sewing machines people use with successful bag making. Her first bag uses thick interfacing and am worried my machine wont handle the layers. Any input would be helpful. Sharon

Re: Sewing machine for bag/purse making

I have an industrial machine, Juki DDL 8700. Brand new, it was less than $800. I bought it from a sewing machine shop on Ebay using PayPal credit and had one year to pay it off w/no interest. Prior to that, I used my other Juki TL2010Q. I still use him for some parts, but I mainly use the industrial.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I use my old 98TLQ Juki, similar to Pat's Juki. Sew's through thick seams like butter It is a purely mechanical machine. Does straight stitch or free-motion only. But the straight stitch is a beautiful stitch and I have never had a problem with tension on it. It does have a thread cutter. And it does need regular oiling. And it's heavy - actual metal frame.
      Vonnie

Comment

Don't get me wrong, the 2010 worked fine until I started using heavier materials. That is when I got the full industrial. If you are not planning on using leathers and vinyls, you will have no problem w/a nonindustrial.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I think the straight stitch machines made by various manufacturers can handle most bag making. These are mechanical machines, very simple, strong, fast. Mine is a Singer s16 which is made by a Janome ( mechanically identical to the Janome 1600). I have fed it a lot of different challenges and it hasn't failed me yet! A lot of people look for vintage machines that are mechanical, they are usually cheap, strong and can do what you need them to do.

Comment

I have a Husqvarna Viking that goes thru all the layers with no problem. Probably any good machine will work.
            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
            Terry

Comment

Sharon,
              It really does depend on what fabrics you choose. If you are using only quilting cottons, maybe with some home dec (i.e. duck cloth) as your outside, with your basic stabilizers, then almost any good machine will do. If you wish to venture into faux leathers, suedes, real leather, etc., then you will need something that can handle the heavier layers

Comment

Working...
              X