mending an afghan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mending an afghan

I realize this is more of a knitting question than a quilting question. However, everyone in this forum has been helpful and knowledgable in the past and I'm guessing some of you like to knit in addition to quilting.
    When my husband was a child, a family friend knitted him an afghan. It has been well loved over the past 35 years and now has a hole in it that is about the size of a half dollar coin. How should I mend this? I was going to use thread from my sewing supplies, but he suggested yarn. Does it matter? What do you all think?
    Thanks for your experienced advice.

Re: mending an afghan

I have 'repaired' lots of holes up to that size that in garments and afghans. I use a technique called swiss darning. If you google swiss darning the images show it used as embroidery and as darning to repair a hole. Use what ever fibre that the original item is made of. I wouldn't try sewing thread. If it's multi coloured you might get away with almost any close colour and it should be practically invisible. If you are not able to get a decent match - try a contrast colour and make a feature of it.

You might need a quiet corner, and a glass of red - good luck

Comment

I'm with MaryD with this one. Please google here suggestion.

I have taken a skein of yarn and divided the fibers (since most yarn is made of twisted 3 or more threads), used a "yarn" needle and caught all the loose ends together with an over lap stitch. It all depends upon the color and pattern as to how to get a repair that is invisible.
      Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
      :icon_wave:

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll google that technique.

Comment

Working...
        X